Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Postini

Hello All,

I didnt see any articles when I searched, so I thought I would just ask the question.

Anyone here completed a migration from Postini to Ironport? I have my C150 racked and configured and I am looking at completing the migration this weekend.

I am just wondering if there are any "gotchas" I should be looking out for with this change over. I believe it should be as easy as updating my MX records, and configuring my Exchange server, but I am of course worrid I will miss something.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

5 Replies 5

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

You should check out the Email Security Appliance "Getting Started" and "Basic guide" in the Documentation section of the Support Portal to fill in any holes in your understanding of the AsyncOS.

In addition to the modifications you've already mentioned, I would suggest that you verify that your corporate mailserver can relay off the IronPort appliance if you want outbound traffic to go through it.

Here is a KB article in the online knowledge base that goes over how to set that up. Also, prior to implementing the ESA in your network this weekend, try to list all your questions down on paper so that nothing is left to chance and that they hopefully get addressed prior to production time.

How do I relay outbound traffic?

http://tinyurl.com/5bb6l7

Thanks for your response, Kevin. I appreciate the feedback!

I feel like I have a pretty solid implementation plan, this is just my first time implementing an IronPort, so I am just a little wary that I will miss something.

So far:

Racked the box
Upgraded the AsyncOS to latest version
Configured Centralized Reporting
Configured Centralized Messaging Tracking
Configured Spam Quarantine
Configured Anti-Spam Global Settings
Configured the Host Access Table
Configured the Recipient Access Table
Created Listeners
Created SMTP Routes
Opened appropriate Firewall ports for "Behind the Firewall" configuration

Left to do:

Update MX records to remove Postini Servers
Update MX records to add IronPort
Configure Exchange Smart Host

Thanks again!

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Concerning the item on your To-do list, "configure Exchange Smart Host", it appears you're planning to relay outbound traffic from your corporate mailserver ot the IronPort.

Did you create a RELAYLIST to accept mail from the corporate mailserver? (e.g. Microsoft Exchange) Using the KB article I sent you, that would instruct you on adding a RELAYLIST and adding the IP address/hostname of the Exchange server to allow for relaying of mail from internal to the Internet.

Left to do:

Update MX records to remove Postini Servers
Update MX records to add IronPort
Configure Exchange Smart Host

Thanks again!

I did add the Exchange Server IP address to the RELAYLIST.

Thanks!

If it is ok to ask? Would be good to know so when the top dawgs get any ideas to go to a service like Postini, we can say these are the reasons why you should not!

Thanks