Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Destination Hosts

Mauro Tedesco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

usually in in Smpt routes i define one Receiving Domain  and  one Destination Hosts.

I need that the same e-mail is send to multiple destination host.

----> IP1

Mail -----> IROMPORT (receving Domain) --|

---> IP2

How i can do this task ?

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This was covered earlier in forums --- I do believe you are trying to accomplish split delivery...

You would be better suited to try a message filter similar to the following --->

duplicate_copy:

if (true)

{

bcc ("$EnvelopeRecipients", "$Subject", "$EnvelopeFrom", "reroute.mail.route");

}

the "reroute.mail.route" is an smtp route that points to the duplicate receiving server. So you could use this to copy all incoming mail from one ESA to another for lab testing purposes if you defined the second ESA as reroute.mail.route.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

View solution in original post

You can use IP, if DNS is not resolvable.

I tested w/ IP just now - and delivery succeeded.

Preferable with SMTP routes, the destination should be:

Enter the destination host for this domain. You may use additional notation to configure these settings:

• Enclose hostname in square brackets to force resolution via address (A) records, ignoring any MX records.
  • Enter /dev/null by itself if you wish to discard the mail.
  • Enter USEDNS to use normal DNS resolution for any route. This may not be used with "All Other Domains" default setting.

May take some testing/editing from your side in-order to assure the final/secondary destination acceptance as you intend...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Valter Da Costa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fabio,

Please refer to:

How to specify multiple hosts in the alt-mailhost() action

Knowledge Base Answer ID: 844

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/CF906

You can achieve what you are looking for using the function alt-mailhost().

Also, please consider reading the section: Alter Delivery Host Action

In the "Cisco IronPort AsyncOS 7.6 for Email Advanced Configuration Guide", Chapter 6 Using Message Filters to Enforce Email Policies.

I hope this helps.

-Valter

Hi Valther

thanks for your answer.

i read the Manual and the KBA 844.

But on kba is writen :

The hosts will be used in a round robin fashion to deliver messages to this domain.

The filter action and smtproute entry will alternate between the hosts 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2.

Filter action:

alt-mailhost('althost.example.com'); The hosts will be used in a round robin fashion to deliver messages to this domain.
The filter action and smtproute entry will alternate between the hosts 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2.
Filter action:
alt-mailhost('althost.example.com');

This mean that i've to write a filter like alt-mailhost('192.168.2.1,192.168.2.2); ?

I don't need round robin deliver.

I need that the same e-mail is send to both mail server.

Regards

This was covered earlier in forums --- I do believe you are trying to accomplish split delivery...

You would be better suited to try a message filter similar to the following --->

duplicate_copy:

if (true)

{

bcc ("$EnvelopeRecipients", "$Subject", "$EnvelopeFrom", "reroute.mail.route");

}

the "reroute.mail.route" is an smtp route that points to the duplicate receiving server. So you could use this to copy all incoming mail from one ESA to another for lab testing purposes if you defined the second ESA as reroute.mail.route.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

Hi Robert

this is what exacly i need.

Only one question :

in your exaple :

did "reroute.mail.route" need to have a DNS entry ?

Regards

You can use IP, if DNS is not resolvable.

I tested w/ IP just now - and delivery succeeded.

Preferable with SMTP routes, the destination should be:

Enter the destination host for this domain. You may use additional notation to configure these settings:

• Enclose hostname in square brackets to force resolution via address (A) records, ignoring any MX records.
  • Enter /dev/null by itself if you wish to discard the mail.
  • Enter USEDNS to use normal DNS resolution for any route. This may not be used with "All Other Domains" default setting.

May take some testing/editing from your side in-order to assure the final/secondary destination acceptance as you intend...

Hi Robert

thanks for your your answer.

You solved my issue.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: