cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

outgoing mail filtering - throttling on a per user basis

axjw_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ironport c350 set up in my mail environment to filter both incoming and outgoing mail. Recently (do to phishing scams) several of our users mail accounts became compromised, and started sending out a ton of spam. I would like to be able to throttle outgoing mail based on the user sending the mail (ie. each email can only send out 500 messages per hour) and ironport doesn't seem capable of this. The only throttling it seems capable of is to throttle total messages per hour (for the listener). Is this functionality available in a newer/bigger version of the appliance? Thanks in advance.

Joe

1 Reply 1

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Unfortunately, you can only throttle at the listener level or at the host/IP/connectin server level("Mail Policies > HAT Overview").

The system currently doesn't have the ability to throttle at a per user level at this time. You may want to put in a feature request with your Sales Rep or Sales Engineer to be able to throttle down at a per user level, maybe depending upon the number of recipients in the mail, size of the message, or # of messages per hour.

I have a ironport c350 set up in my mail environment to filter both incoming and outgoing mail. Recently (do to phishing scams) several of our users mail accounts became compromised, and started sending out a ton of spam. I would like to be able to throttle outgoing mail based on the user sending the mail (ie. each email can only send out 500 messages per hour) and ironport doesn't seem capable of this. The only throttling it seems capable of is to throttle total messages per hour (for the listener). Is this functionality available in a newer/bigger version of the appliance? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: