cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook plugin and "Send as" feature in Outlook/Exchange

johnsmith1000
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the OL plugin 7.3 supports the use of "Send as" feature when plugin is configured for Flag encryption?

The use case is that Outlook client is configured for account john@mycorp.com and plugin allows a message composed and sent encrypted by john. But lets say Exchange is configured to allow john to also send a message as generic sender "support@mycorp.com".

Currently, when we try this, the Encrypt button is grayed out. Presumably due to the fact that there is no account set up on the client for support@mycorp.com. Since for flag encryption, the registration and authorization of the encryption key with CRES service happens at the IronPort box and not on desktop client, I was expecting that plugin should not care who the sender is. In fact, with the button grayed out, we can manually add the [SECURE] tag to the subject line and everything works as expected. That is, IronPort encrypts the message based on the effective sender's address.

Is there a way via XML Config or other set up options to enable "Send as" with plugin? Is it the case that this feature is indeed not supported, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 Replies 4

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to assure that the account names are both specified in the CommonEncryptionConfig.xml

similar to:

john@mycorp.com" />

support@mycorp.com" />

From admin guide --->

To configure only selected users in a specific domain, you need to modify the CommonEncryptionConfig.xml file by specifying the domain as an email address.

For example, to apply the BCE config file to only Cisco users, change the:

to:

If there is more than one accountFileName  tag then the filePath  will be config_2.xml, config_3.xml, etc.

For example:

Give that a try to see if corrects and allows.

-Robert

Thanks a lot for the pointer, Robert.

Do you know what it means if the element does not exist in the

CommonEncryptionConfig.xml? I don't see it there.

I have done an individual install with the XML config file generated by the CRES admin and mailed to few individual users. Now, when I go to the referenced folder on the target system where the plugin is instaleld and configured and look at the CommonEncryptionConfig.xml, I dont see the in the XML file. I assume there is an implied default. But since there is nothing there, I don;t know how/if I can add an element and then add the  subelements as described in the doc.

Thoughhts?

Thanks.

After you provide the BCE XML, or compelte the customized install --- look @ the USERID folder in C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-In

There should be a CommonEncryptionConfig.xml listed there:

plug_1.png

That file should contain the lines needed:

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

false

true

English

en\PostXMessage.html

en\PostXMessage.txt

German

de\PostXMessage.html

de\PostXMessage.txt

Spanish

es\PostXMessage.html

es\PostXMessage.txt

French

fr\PostXMessage.html

fr\PostXMessage.txt

Japanese

ja\PostXMessage.html

ja\PostXMessage.txt

Chinese

zh\PostXMessage.html

zh\PostXMessage.txt

English

robsherw@cisco.com" />

The accountFileNames is not contained in the "Common" folder path for the CommonEncryptionConfig.xml.

-Robert

johnsmith1000
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I see it now in USERID folder.

Strangely, when I edit the file and add new Account fileName entry, after I run the plugin, it replaces the modified file with the original one. It looks like the initial info is maintained somewhere (perhaps Windows Registry?) and overwrites changes to this file.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App