cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running A/V on Exchange Behind My IronPort.. HELP !

But seriously....
Currently I am using Trend SMB on my network of 47 nodes....
I have an IronPort C100 which I purchased from Dell so in essence it would be an Ironport C50 if there was such an animal.
I have a quote from Dell for Symantec Corporate and Enterprise which is actually cheaper then the Trend piece...
So I have a few questions, and the Engineers at IronPort tell me this is the exact forum for me:

What Plays Nicer with IronPort on Exchange.. Trend or Symantec ?

If it is Symantec… Corporate or Enterprise ? .. Enterprise scans each piece of mail as it comes in…. But Trend is doing that now as well…..
Thank you in advance for your advice and expertise !!!!!

Brian

1 Reply 1

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

From a technical perspective, we've had more implemenations of Trend SMB running on Exchange in conjuction with the Ironport appliance handling the first wave of email traffic/anti-spam/anti-virus/content filter scanning.

We work pretty seamlessly with Trend Micro SMB. The mail traffic will initially go through Ironport appliance first with AV/AS scanning using Ironport anti-spam and Sophos AV. Any mail that makes it pass this stage will get delivered to the mailserver, (e.g. Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Domino). With Trend Micro on Exchange, there's the last AV check done there.

One thing you may want to keep in mind though is that since the scanning that Trend Micro performs is on Exchange, the Ironport appliance is not aware of the verdict the Trend Micro renders. The Trend Micro scanning is done after the Ironport system has handed the mail off to the next server, in this case, Exchange. You may want to set up some type of alert system on Trend SMB that informs the administrators when Trend SMB has quarantined or dropped or bounced a message if it detected a virus.

But seriously....
Currently I am using Trend SMB on my network of 47 nodes....
I have an IronPort C100 which I purchased from Dell so in essence it would be an Ironport C50 if there was such an animal.
I have a quote from Dell for Symantec Corporate and Enterprise which is actually cheaper then the Trend piece...
So I have a few questions, and the Engineers at IronPort tell me this is the exact forum for me:

What Plays Nicer with IronPort on Exchange.. Trend or Symantec ?

If it is Symantec… Corporate or Enterprise ? .. Enterprise scans each piece of mail as it comes in…. But Trend is doing that now as well…..
Thank you in advance for your advice and expertise !!!!!

Brian