Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server not responding at 1am each day

We're using SNMP monitoring to monitor the hard disks and Port 25 of our IronPort box but each morning (at around 1am) we are seeing timeouts for all monitors and during the time the box is extremely slow in loading the admin pages (if they load at all). CPU usage is no higher than average (which is around 8%) and neither is the work queue etc. Just wondering if anyone else experiences the dire lack of response sometimes on these units?

8 REPLIES

Re: Server not responding at 1am each day

Sorry - just to add that we've ruled out network issues for the unresponsiveness.

generating the scheduled reports perhaps?

Surely the report generation wouldn't use so many resources on an otherwise low utilised unit that it stops responding on port 25 for around 10 minutes.

I will check this.

Further to your thoughts I have noticed that the web admin performance on these units can be terribly poor - some pages take 20 seconds+ to load (sometimes don't load at all!).

I have the same problem, but it occurs between 00:00 and 01:00 and is of very short duration. I have been told the size of the MFM database can cause this. We were advised to reduce the number of days retained for reports. (mailflowconfig) Used to be set at 32 days and is now set at 9 days (so 1 week can be displayed). There was an improvement in gui load time after this change was done, but our load balancer continues to see timeouts (tcp connect test as keepalive).

Cisco Employee

Ironport becoming unresponsive to smtp keepalives is most likely due to the CPU intensive mail flow monitor(MFM) rollover that starts around midnight.

The reporting engine had been completely re-architectured in Async OS 5.0, which means that there are no more database rollovers. This issue should automatically subside when you upgrade to Async OS 5.0.

When is the OS 5.0 coming out for the C series?

Hey,

AsyncOS version 5.0 is released already. You should be able to see it, or if you are running a very old version you may need to do a few upgrades first.

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content