Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Source Routing and Sendmail

Hi all

This is probably not directly related to IronPort, but I'm sure you guys might be able to help.
We installed an IronPort applicane a few months ago and everything works great. Unfortunately, we forward the mails to our internal sendmail server which has to be reachable from the Internet for some legacy stuff. The sendmail box in conjunction with IronPort (smarthost) seems to enable source routing of email addresses, rendering the box an open relay.

Is there a way to drop all source routed e-mails at sendmail? Based on what I read, IronPort does drop source routed e-mails anyway.

thx
reto

3 Replies 3

jaigill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to disable the loose_relay_check option in Sendmail. This option turns off the default behavior of rechecking recipients using the % addressing. For example, if the recipient address is user%site@othersite, the default behavior without the loose_relay_check option is that Sendmail will check if any @othersite is an allowed relay host specified in either class R macro or the access db file. If a site is an allowed relay host, the check_rcpt ruleset strips @othersite and checks user@site for relaying. Sendmail does not recheck user@site if loose_relay_check option is set to ON.

cwling2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How to create virtual user table in ironport?

Thanks.

Alex Ling

Doc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

How to create virtual user table in ironport?

You just use aliases. Aliases can be in basically the same form as the virtusertable entries in Sendmail. eg :

oneuser@domain.com you@yourdomain.com
@domain.com me@otherdomain.com

See the AsyncOS Users Guide for more examples.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: