Views
Helpful
Replies

Stopped as Invalid Recipients

Ronan O Connor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I was just looking at my Incoming Mail Summary and was wondering what "Stopped as Invalid Recipients" means. Are these mails dropped by my filters in the CLI?
Thanks.

5 Replies 5

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

No, the "Stopped as Invalid Recipients" represents messages dropped by your LDAP Accept Query process.

By setting up LDAP recipient validation, the Ironport is freeing up resources on your mailserver and performing the recipient on the Ironport appliance.

For example, say a message arrives on the Ironport appliance and is addressed to:

recipient email address: blahblahblah@yourdomain.com

The Ironport ldap process will take the recipient email and ask your LDAP Server/domain controller/active directory if this is a valid user in your domain:

If it's valid, the system will process the email like normal.

If it's invalid, depending upon your Accept query setting, it will either drop or bounce that individual message. You can see this setting by going to "Network > Listeners". Select your incoming or inbound listener and go to the LDAP queries section at the bottom.

Hi,
I was just looking at my Incoming Mail Summary and was wondering what "Stopped as Invalid Recipients" means. Are these mails dropped by my filters in the CLI?
Thanks.

Ronan O Connor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kluu,
Thanks for you response. I don't have any LDAP servers set up. I do have some filters configured to drop mail for certain recipients. Could this be what I am seeing? If not where are messages dropped by filters recorded? I can see them in the logs but the "Stopped by Content Filter" category shows zero:

Wed Feb 27 00:21:26 2008 Info: Message aborted MID 26551349 Dropped by filter 'drop-bad-recipients-3'

Doc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Given that you don't have LDAP configured, these are most likely people trying to send mail via your mail server for a domain that isn't in the RAT.

ie, users who are attempting to use you as an open relay.

Ronan O Connor
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Doc.

Do you know in which category mails dropped by filters are included in?

Doc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Do you know in which category mails dropped by filters are included in?

You should see a 'Stopped by Content Filter' which covers this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: