Hi ,

when i maks a "status detail" at the CLI
i see several information, including:
Active Recipients 15,267
Unattempted Recipients 13,518
Attempted Recipients 1,749

Can anybody tell me why i have this much unattemped recipients and only
1749 attemped reecipients.

Is this a problem of Outgoing Mail Queue or ????

I cannot even list this unattemped or active recipients when the count of the queue is > 1000.
So with showrecipients i can only see 1000 recipients.

Is there any way to increase this value ?

Regards
Buzz

4 Replies 4

oh_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

If you do a tophosts and select Active Recipients, does that tell you anything? You may do a delivernow by recipeint host and enter the domain name to try to deliver these messages. Otherwise, I'd suggest you look in the mail_log and see if you can find an error. Sorry if this doesn't help.

buzz_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

@oh

THX a lot ,
i have tried and it was a good help

buzz_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

but i still cannot explain where are the rest of active recipients:

when i do a "status detail" i get like:
--------------
Active Recipients 13,950
Unattempted Recipients 12,454
Attempted Recipients 1,496
-------------

and when i do a tophosts all the active recipients added makes something like 5500 , so where are the rest of the active recipients.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

--------------
Active Recipients 13,950
Unattempted Recipients 12,454
Attempted Recipients 1,496
-------------

I'm just guessing, but I'd bet that the unattempted recipients are all for domains which are currently marked as unreachable. When AsyncOS detects that a domain is unreachable, it doesn't attempt each and every recipient for that domain. Instead, it periodically probes the domain with just one recipient. That keeps it from wasting time on recipients that it already knows it can't deliver right now.

and when i do a tophosts  all the active recipients added makes something like 5500 , so where are the rest of the active recipients.

Well, it is only the top 20 hosts in your queue. The other recipients are spread out across all the others that didn't show up in tophosts.

It looks to me like you're getting a lot of spam through your defenses, and the bogus return address domains on the spam are causing those large active recipient numbers. But that's just a guess.