cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unwanted topic-notification from Yahoo-Groups

Pat_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

One of our employees receive many hundreds of notification mails from a Yahoo-Group.

He has never made a subscription and had not clicked on the confirmation-link. It "seems", that someone else has put his company mail-address to this group.

In one of the first mails, Yahoo writes, that if he doesn't confirm within 7 days, he will not become a member.
Nevertheless he will get tousends of mail in this week... :x

What should we do in such a case? Should I configure a filter for this specific case? What is the best/easiest way to prevent further mails from this groupname@yahoogroups.com?

BTW:
Is this the (ab)normal behaviour from Yahoo that everyone can put a mail-address to her groups and will be "spamed" for 7 days without any confirmation?

2 Replies 2

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

I'm not sure what the normal behavior is concerning Yahoogroup confirmations but here is what you can implement if receiving mail from @yahoogroups.com for this particular end user.

1. In your [Mail policies > Incoming mail policies], create a policy for this end user. Click on add policy, name it after the end-user, or whatever name you want.

Add this user as the recipient to this policy.

2. For now, leave the anti-spam, anti-virus, content filter, and virus outbreak filters as the defaults.

3. Click on [Mail policies > incoming content filters]. Add new content filter.

Label the new filter "Quarantine-Yahoogroups"

Use this for the condition/action:

condtion:

if (rcpt-to == "user@yourcompany.com") and (mail-from == "@yahoogroups.com")

action:

then
quarantine("Policy")

4. After you submit the filter, go to "incoming mail policy" and click on Edit for the content filter for the end user and enable the incoming content filter just for this policy. You may not want to turn it for the DEFAULT because it may not be affecting this one user.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification on something.

One of our employees receive many hundreds of notification mails from a Yahoo-Group. 

He has never made a subscription and had not clicked on the confirmation-link. It "seems", that someone else has put his company mail-address to this group.

In one of the first mails, Yahoo writes, that if he doesn't confirm within 7 days, he will not become a member.
Nevertheless he will get tousends of mail in this week... :x

What should we do in such a case? Should I configure a filter for this specific case? What is the best/easiest way to prevent further mails from this groupname@yahoogroups.com?

BTW:
Is this the (ab)normal behaviour from Yahoo that everyone can put a mail-address to her groups and will be "spamed" for 7 days without any confirmation?

Pat_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions!
I do it exactly this way. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: