Views
Helpful
Replies

User Safelist / blocklists and EMail aliases

frederic.lens
Level 1
Level 1

Ciao tutti,
Here is a funny problem reported by one of my user who uses Blocklists a lot.
Basically, the Good Mister has serveral email addresses :
- Primary EMail : Good <dot> mister <at> email.com
- Secondary Email : GMister <at> email.com

All information is stored in Active Directory and I have an EMail alias consolidation query which displays all relevant email addresses of the user for Spam Quarantine notification.

Here comes the problem :)
When a sender in the blocklist sends an email to the secondary email address, the mail doesn't get blocked...

Is this a normal behavior ?
Would it be possible to have the blocklist applied to all email aliases of a user ?

Thanks !
Frédéric

5 Replies 5

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

The safelist/blocklist is tied to one email address. However, if you enable email alias consolidation done by LDAP and leveraging off of the Active Directory, then you may be able to achieve what you want.

The safelist/blocklist comes into play with respect to anti-spam results. The email alias consolidation should occur much earlier.

So, see if you can get email alias consolidation using LDAP/Active Directory working and it should address the safelist/blocklist thing.

frederic.lens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kluu,
Thanks for the reply. Actually, EMail consolidation is configured and is working correctly !
Yet the Blocklist is not applied to the EMail alias...

frederic.lens
Level 1
Level 1

Might have found a problem : one of the LDAP server replied using attibute "mail" and not "proxyaddress".

I changed the Consolidation query to
Query String : (proxyAddresses=smtp:{a})
EMail attributes : mail,proxyAddresses

And it looks better :)
Thanks for the tip !

I'll let you know if this did the trick.

Fred

frederic.lens
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, didn't work... Any clue ?

frederic.lens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
Just to let you know the official answer from Ironport support regarding this : Works as designed...

I am however not the first one to request SL/BL being applied to EMail alias via the Consolidation function... so an enhancement request has been posted, and it should someday be added to the code :) (hopefully !)

Cheers,
Fred

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: