Views
Helpful
Replies

What Happen to Mail Queue when Ironport Shutdown

brillyanads
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to move our ironport to another Data Center, so we need to shutdown that ironport first. i wanna ask, if I initiate shutdown to Ironport, what happen to mail in the incoming mail queue/work queue, is the message/mail will be flushed/deleted or it remain in the incoming mail queue/work queue when I power on the ironport again??

Thank you for the respon and answer.

Brillyan

8 Replies 8

Before you shut it down, go to System/Shutdown-Suspend, and suspend the listeners.  Refresh that screen until the work queue is zero.

Then you can shut it down safely, with no mail in the queues.

Then when you power it up, you can go to the same screen and resume the listeners.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your response.

I forget to mention, the mail server is moved also to new Data Center, so the process is, I shutdown the Microsoft Exchange Mail Server first and shutdown the Ironport after that. When the mail server is shutdown already, and there's incoming mail to ironport, that mail is queued in mail queue. So, what happen to that mail in the queue if I shutdown the ironport (the mail that will not be delivered to the mail server, because the mail server is down). Will it be deleted/flushed from queue or not?

Thanks.

I honestly can't remember what's kept in memory and what isn't.  I'm pretty sure the workqueue is on disk but I don't want to promise that...

Hi,

If the internal destination mail server becomes unavailable after its shutdown the email would remain pending in the delivery queue which can be checked under Monitor -> Delivery Status for domains with emails pending delivery.

On the day of the migration I would recommend suspending the listener on the ESA and emails from the exchange for some time so any email that can be delivered is delivered. 

After a reboot the emails in the delivery queue do not get deleted, however I've never tried it with the appliance shutdown for some time.

- Libin V

I had some issues with my IronPort mail flow. Although I rebooted IronPort appliances, the mail flow did not resume, however after suspending the listeners and resuming them, it looks like the mail flow started to work. Doesnt the reboot of the appliance suspends and resume or refreshes the IronPort listeners?

Please help.

A reboot does stop and start them, but not necessarily cleanly.

You should suspend your listeners and let the workqueue empty. Then restart the box and resume them after it comes back up.

Thanks for your quick reply Ken. Appreciate it.

+1 to Ken.

If there is an improper shutdown of the appliance, and you do see queue/processing issues - one new item in 11.0.0 is the ability to run repairqueue:

Usage of the command repairqueue