Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

What is this? Just ordinary SPAM?

In the last 3 days we got many mails with just one textline as body (no 'subject', no 'To:')

%RANDFILE[./bodies/tb/tb_plain.txt,./bodies/tb/tb_html.txt,./bodies/ol/ol_html.txt]
The sender is displayed as (non-existing) internal user "tooc@ourcompany.com"

In the mail-header I can see this:
Received: from 189.26.70.70.adsl.gvt.net.br (189.26.70.70.adsl.gvt.net.br [189.26.70.70])
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: Ahp3ALnz40cKSgK3/2dsb2JhbACCKYV3gS6GJCQaPpdPgSw

Is this just ordinary SPAM?
What do you do against such unwantend Mails? (Do you use additional rules to make some further checks?)

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: What is this? Just ordinary SPAM?

Looks like someone has screwed up their spam sending programs...

This is always going to be a hard type of message to catch, because whilst it probably is spam, it's also just an error message - no actual spam content!

Even so, the best action to take it to send it on to us so that we can update our rules to block further messages - both for you and all other customers. Forward the message as an attachment to spam@access.ironport.com, or if you're using the Outlook you can get the plug-in from the support site which gives you a "report spam" button.

I wouldn't recommend writing your own rules to block spam unless it's a very "local" issue - it's almost always going to be best to leave it up to our spam rule writers to do it for you, but obviously we need to see the message first.

Community Member

Re: What is this? Just ordinary SPAM?

You (IronPort) got a copy of such a mail 1 minute after the first occurence in my Outlook-Inbox. :wink:

I wouldn't recommend writing your own rules to block spam unless it's a very "local" issue
You are right. But in the meantime, I have to explain this (and the not needed reaction) to many of my co-workers. 8)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content