Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

What should a newbie know? Suggestions before I install.

I just bought an Ironport on a recommendation from my Dell rep. I am moving from a pop3 server to MS Exchange and I wanted a spam filter for the new email server. I am a relative novice on MS Exchange and I have not yet opened the box on the Ironport.

I want to put the Ironport in production in front of my pop3 server asap and then transfer the mail to my exchange server when I get it configured and touch all the workstations to move them to Outlook 2003.

I thought I would ask for advice here first before diving into this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have about 75 users now. Linux box with the pop mail on it. Users are on Outlook Express right now. I just took over here a couple of months ago and getting rid of the spam is a top priority.

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: What should a newbie know? Suggestions before I install.

There are some good scenarios (with diagrams) in the manual.

The setup has a wizard so as long as you know what you want to do (in general SMTP terms) you'll be fine.

If you don't know what your setup is, then probably best to document it first.

Community Member

Re: What should a newbie know? Suggestions before I install.

You will first need to get your Exchange server up and running. IronPort appliances support the SMTP protocol, it will not support POP. Once you have the Exchange server up and running, you can simply follow the Quick Start Guide and Wizard (on a CD) which are enlosed inside the box.

Once you have the IronPort appliance out of the box and racked, the setup should not take you more then 10 mins. Afer the IronPort appliance is configured and on the network, you will need to forward all your SMTP (port 25) traffic to the IronPort IP from your firewall.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content