Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - BEST PRACTICES FOR SNMP AND MIBS

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert David Stanford about The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), an application layer protocol that enables network administrators to manage network performance, find and solve network problems, and plan for network growth. David has been working at Cisco Systems for over six years. During this time he has been involved with the Network Management team in North Carolina, Texas and Latin America. He is currently providing support for the High Touch Technical Services team out of the Toronto office and is supporting numerous enterprise and service provider applications and protocols. He currently has the Cisco certifications, CCNA and CCNP. He is also Sun certified on Solaris Admin.

Remember to use the rating system to let David know if you have received an adequate response.

David might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through November 17, 2006. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

51 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - BEST PRACTICES FOR SNMP AND MIBS

Hi, David

We just got some cisco 2960 switches. But cisco still haven't publish the updated MIBs for this devices.

The cisco web page still doesn?t recognize the OID?s for the two 2960?s:

===========

Need you help! please!!

Regards

Kevin

Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin,

I'll contact our internal folks here to see if I can get a time frame when the object translator as well as the CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB will be updated with the following:

2960-G24TT 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.696

2960-24TC 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.694

As a workaround for now, for you NMS applications, you can manually edit the CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB to add an entry for these switches.

Here's an example)

catalyst296024TC OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ciscoProducts 694 }

-- 24 Ethernet 10/100 ports and 2 dual-purpose uplink ports; 1 RU

Hi, David

We only trust Cisco. Our current system manage over 20000 cisco devices via SNMP protocol. I found Cisco is not good enought to support SNMP. Last time I had to ask Cisco to update there MIBs for Cisco 877 and 3560 devices.

Regards

Kevin

Hi, David

I just checked the Cisco web site again. It still hasn't been updated yet. Is your internal folks working on this issue?

Kevin

Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin,

The internal folks are working on this. It takes them some time to add new device support to the CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB and then get it published to CCO.

In the mean time please use the workaround I mentioned earlier.

hi,

My questions is..if i give command " looging 172.16.1.1" (172.16.1.1 is my ciscoworks syslog server) on my all routers in the network will it publish all logs to my syslog server or do i need to put some other command like logging trap etc.

my second question is..what is the differnce betwwen command

snmp-server community public RO & snmp-server community public RW.

can u suggest me any link for configuring snmp??

Regards

Nitin

Silver

Hi Nitin,

use the comprehensive Cisco Webpage here for:

a) SNMP Questions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tk605/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

b) Configuration Commands

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca74b.html#wp1022436

the link to the IOS Commands is from the IOS 12.2 release but for the SNMP settings they are still valid.

Best regards,

Frank

Hi

Is there a document or a program to calculate the bandwidth consumption of CiscoWorks programs ans also the load of snmp traffic on a givin link?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

There's no specific document on how to calculate the load specific to CiscoWorks, but you can do a few things and use a few different programs to see the load it might put on a network and also the load on any given link.

The first key is to understand what kind of traffic CiscoWorks could generate. It's going to use a variety of protocols at different layers: snmp, tftp, telnet, ssh, arp

There are a few different applications and some hardware that you could use to determine what this traffic is and how much each protocol is using:

1) NAM - Network Analysis Module - This will capture data and then show you what your key traffic generators are by %

2) Netflow - you can configure netflow on your devices and use a Netflow collector to read the data

3) IPM -- Will help show any bottlenecks in the network and response time

Here's a link to show how to use snmp to do some basic bandwidth calculations (you could use this with something like MRTG):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008009496e.shtml

Keep in mind that SNMP is normally low priority traffic on a network with default configs.

Cisco Employee

Have a look at this link for more info on the logging commands:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008017d033.html#wp1032279

The difference between snmp RO and RW access are the actions you can perform. With SNMP RO access you can just read snmp mib objects. So you would be able to perform such actions as snmpget, snmpbulkget, snmpwalk.

With SNMP RW access you can read and write, which means you can use snmp to perform configurations on your devices via snmpset.

With SNMP RW access to a device, a user or application can make config changes and even change passwords, so make sure you add some security to both in the form of access lists or configure views to limit access to certain objects.

Hello,

I have a 2851 router acting as a voice gateway. I am curious if there is any OID to see the number of active calls. I would expect cpmActiveDS0s from CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB to work for this, but it does not. It returns very high numbers instead of the actual DS0's used.

Thanks for any help

Cisco Employee

Hi,

The problem here is that the ISR devices including the 2851 do not fully support the CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB.

The CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB was designed/intended for dial platform such as

AS5xxx. It will have some support for the 26xx/36xx platforms as these platforms have dial functions as well.

The ISRs have 3-tuple representation of interfaces (slot.subslot.port), which is different from the older slot.port

indexing. The MIB does not support this 3-tuple numbering and hence you will see that ISRs don't support CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB.

To get this active call info you would want to look at the follow objects:

To get just the count of VoIP active calls the simplest way is to count the number of entries that you get in the object cvVoIPCallActiveTable.

Sometimes this may not be accurate so it is good to verify that for each entry in cvVoIPCallActiveTable, there is an entry in callActiveTable. If not, drop those ones from the count.

To further refine this to distinguish between calls that are in connecting, connected or active state you can use the

callActiveCallState in callActiveTable.

The oid used above are as follows :

CISCO-VOICE-DIAL-CONTROL-MIB

"cvVoIPCallActiveTable"

"1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.63.1.3.2"

DIAL-CONTROL-MIB:

"callActiveTable"

"1.3.6.1.2.1.10.21.1.3.1"

DIAL-CONTROL-MIB:

"callActiveCallState"

"1.3.6.1.2.1.10.21.1.3.1.1.9"

Also for Historical data, the following looks promising :

CISCO-VOICE-DIAL-CONTROL-MIB:"cvCallHistoryTable"

"1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.63.1.4.1"

-----B------

To get something similar to the information of the command "sh call

voice active brief" you could do something like what I have below: (have

provided the MIB info next to it, for easier understanding)

H323 leg

pid: pid:200

callActivePeerId.291909790.1 = INTEGER: 200

Answer

callActiveCallOrigin.291909790.1 = INTEGER: answer(2)

callActivePeerAddress.291909790.1 = STRING: 205

active

callActiveCallState.291909790.1 = INTEGER: active(4)

tx:/ tx:85515/13681843

callActiveTransmitPackets.291909790.1 = Gauge32: 85692

callActiveTransmitBytes.291909790.1 = Gauge32: 13710323

rx:/ rx:85441/13670560

callActiveReceivePackets.291909790.1 = Gauge32: 85621

callActiveReceiveBytes.291909790.1 = Gauge32: 13699680

For the Telephony leg

pid:1

callActivePeerId.291909815.1 = INTEGER: 1

Originate

callActiveCallOrigin.291909815.1 = INTEGER: originate(1)

callActivePeerAddress.291909815.1 = STRING: 93928027

active

callActiveCallState.291909815.1 = INTEGER: active(4)

tx:/ tx:85442/13670720

callActiveTransmitPackets.291909815.1 = Gauge32: 85619

callActiveTransmitBytes.291909815.1 = Gauge32: 13699360

rx:/ rx:85515/13681843

callActiveReceivePackets.291909815.1 = Gauge32: 85695

callActiveReceiveBytes.291909815.1 = Gauge32: 13710963

Hi David, we are using 3060 VPN Concentrators and want to monitor these devices using HP Insight Manager (SIM). Can you tell me which MIB's I need to download and then register in SIM to start monitoring the VPN Concentrators. Thanks

Cisco Employee

Hi,

There are a number of MIB objects supported on the VPN concentrator and you can see them all at:

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/vpn3000/vpn3000-supportlist.html

You can load these different objects and have a look through them to see what you might want to monitor.

Some of the key ones I would look at would be:

ALTIGA-SESSION-STATS-MIB -alActiveSessionTable

CISCO-IPSEC-FLOW-MONITOR-MIB -

cipSecTunOutOctets and cipSecTunInOctets

cikeTunnelTable -> cikeTunStatus

cipSecTunnelTable -> cipSecTunStatus

Make sure you load any pre-req MIBS for the application as well (usually standard) and you can refer to this doc for that info:

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/app_notes/mib-compilers

David,

We have a problem to configure the Cisco SIP Proxy server to work with SNMPv3. The available documentation is a bit limited in this direction.

Can you provide a sample config with some explanation on how to set it up.

Thanks,

Yigal

Cisco Employee

Hi Yigal,

Would you be able to tell me what version of SIP Proxy you are running?

Is this the documentation you had already looked at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2157/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801a1d64.html

Hi David,

I'm using SIP Proxy v2.1. Should I run the agent install script to set the SNMPv3 parameters ?

Is this the correct procedure whenever I need to change the SNMP paramenters

Thanks,

Yigal

Cisco Employee

Hi Yigal,

I would post this to a voice specific alias to get more details on configuring SIP proxy.

Hi there,

is it possible to get xlate counters

out with snmp ? i cant find the IOD for that.

I have found for connections, but thats not the same in this case.

ASA# sh xlate count

256 in use, 575 most used

your

Martin

DK

Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, currently there is no object to get xlate counters. There is an enhancement request filed to add this support and it is CSCeb61208.

The connections which you reference above are it and these are most likely:

cfwConnectionStatCount .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.2.1.4

cfwConnectionStatValue .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.2.1.5

The best option if you would like to see this support added is to contact your account team and they can help to push this with the business unit and get this additional mib support added.

Hi, David,

I am try to monitor the memory of the Sup32 running CatOS, but I can not find the correct IOD, I tried the following OID already "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.5.1", but seems it only work for router and IOS.

Actually I always can not find the CatOS MIB, as the SNMP Navigator only provide the IOS MIB.

Thank you so much

Linmian

Cisco Employee

Hi Linmian,

The CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB should also be supported in CatOS based devices. What version of CatOS are you running and what sort of result is returned when polling the object above? Does it give an actual value or no such name?

Hi, we use the latest CatOS software with sup32. It return some funny value...

Cisco Employee

What is the specific CatOS software version? There have been several new releases in the past month or so.

Also, can you post the value that is returned?

Hi

Can someone just give brief overview of how SNMP works. Just a few lines in order to grasp it.

Thanx

Cisco Employee

The simple network management protocol (SNMP) is used for monitoring of network-attached devices. It is used to manage IP network devices such as servers, routers, switches etc. Administrator can find or manage network performance, solve problem or even optimize it further.

This document really explains it well as there's too much to really explain it in a few lines:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm

I have two quick questions that I need clarified.

1. What tool(s) do you recommend for collecting octet counts from Cisco devices and keeping a historical record? We have HP NNM and I've used MRTG before. We also have Cisco works, but I can't find a historical report for this.

2. How can I ping my external Cisco PIX interfaces so my HP NNM map shows them green? Do I NAT the interfaces to an inside interface, allow pings on outside interfaces and control who pings via access-lists or...?

Thanks.

Cisco Employee

I don't really recommend one tool over the other, it really depends on your budget and the types of devices you have.

MRTG is freeware, whereas HP NNM you have to purchase. With both you can collect in and out octet info and many other SNMP objects.

When you pay for NNM you get a lot of functionality and it supports numerous device types.

you can use both applications to do historical trending and for other items such as a measuring bandwidth utilization.

There's nothing in CiscoWorks that really does historical trending of these snmp objects, but you can do connectivity/reachability/other polling with the device fault manager portion of the application.

I'm not sure about pinging the pix interfaces via NNM, but if you want an application to be able to monitor a pix via snmp then you need to make sure you add the snmp-server host command on the pix which specifies the IP address of the management station trying to manage it.

Bronze

Check out Lucent VitalNet. It is truly the 'cadillac' of network performance monitoring. Not cheap, but easy to get running. Out of the box it will monitor interface utilization, Frame Relay Statistics, errors, in/out packets, the whole deal. Its like MRTG on steroids, and just won Network Computing's recent survey (Sept 2006) of the field.

Other products in this field are Concord (now CA) e-health, HP NMM, and InfoVista's VitalInsight.

You can also use something like Ipswitch's What's Up Professional, who's roots are in device up/down monitoring via Ping's, but also does an OK job at monitoring interface utilization. This product is fairly inexpensive, I believe.

Ciscoworks LMS doesn't really do this, but Ciscoworks "Cisco Security Managager" (CSM), (the upgrade from VMS) has a "Management Center for Performance" (MCP) that does interface utilization tracking (focused on VPN performance), but the suite's primary focus is on Security management (ASA/PIX firewall, VPN's, IPS signatures, etc.)

You have choices, it depends on your environment, how many devices you need to monitor, how picky you are about the graphs/reports, and (probably MOST importantly) your budget $$..

Views
Helpful
Replies