Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - CALLMANAGER EXPRESS

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Tony Huynh how to get an update on the configuration and functionality of CallManager Express. Tony Huyhn is a technical marketing engineer for Cisco CallManager Express (CME) at Cisco Systems. He is a (CCIE) Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert in routing, switching and voice with eight years of design and support experience in the information technology industry. Tony is an expert in documenting, designing, and implementing various communication systems.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tony know if you have received an adequate response.

Tony might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 12, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

109 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CALLMANAGER EXPRESS

Hi, Tony

Noted when taking the IPTX , CQS exam that there is more emphasis on SIP based application to CME. Is SCCP not capable of "presence"?

Also can SIP phones directly integrate to CME now?

What version of CME and CUE should we be reading up on for the exam and for future changes?

The PEC e-learning course, IPTX 2.0 doesn't cover the SIP requirements or other pertinent objectives enough in my opinion. Neither does the IP Communications Express: CME with CUE text book. But I understand the change to SIP was based on "Presence".

Will the IPTX 4.0 be released for partners to understand the path Cisco is taking with CME/CUE?

It is one I believe of "Presence", with SIP based applications being the Unified Intelligent networks of the future. QCT and automatic configuration of the IP phones is a SMART way to ease the installation time and keep our customers happy with wizards that don't require the CLI expertise.

Didn't pass the exam, BTW it was really tough.. but opened my eyes to the future at Cisco.

Thanks for all you do,

Highest Regards

Reggie

Bronze

Hi Reggie,

Thanks for your participation. Please see my answers inline:

Noted when taking the IPTX , CQS exam that there is more emphasis on SIP based application to CME. Is SCCP not capable of "presence"?

[Tony] - No, sccp is not yet capable of providing ?presence? info, we are looking into it.

Also can SIP phones directly integrate to CME now?

[Tony] ? Yes, you can register (Cisco only) sip phones to CME as of CME 3.4, IOS 12.4(4)T

What version of CME and CUE should we be reading up on for the exam and for future changes?

[Tony] - I haven?t pursued the IPTX track, but judging by when the test was written, I would recommend reading CME 3.4 and 4.0

The PEC e-learning course, IPTX 2.0 doesn't cover the SIP requirements or other pertinent objectives enough in my opinion. Neither does the IP Communications Express: CME with CUE text book. But I understand the change to SIP was based on "Presence".

[Tony] ? Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this on to the Exam committee.

Will the IPTX 4.0 be released for partners to understand the path Cisco is taking with CME/CUE?

[Tony] ? If you are one of our partners, you could always contact your account team and let them know you want to participate in Partner VT, which occurs every 6 months. At Partner VT, you will learn about future product guidance/features for both CME/CUE.

It is one I believe of "Presence", with SIP based applications being the Unified Intelligent networks of the future. QCT and automatic configuration of the IP phones is a SMART way to ease the installation time and keep our customers happy with wizards that don't require the CLI expertise.

[Tony] ? This is great news. My team and I are very happy to know that QCT is helping our partners and customers out.

Didn't pass the exam, BTW it was really tough.. but opened my eyes to the future at Cisco.

[Tony] ? Keep on studying, I?m confident you will pass it in no time ? the experience you gain from the studies is what is most important in my opinion.

[Tony] ? On a side note, I would like to take this time to provide you an external alias you can contact at Cisco for product guidance and feature questions regarding CME and CUE.

Alias: access-ccme-cue@cisco.com

I thank you for your time

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for all you do,

Highest Regards

Reggie

Hi Tony;

We lost contact I had the CME with the DTMF issue with Broadvoice. I got the correct information from the CCSIP Messages i also upgraded the router to CME4.1 Attached is the debug you asked me about. I don't see where the RFC information is in the debug. Can you take a look, thanks...

Bronze

When will Cisco CallManager Express 4.1 be released?

Bronze

Hi,

Cisco CallManager Express 4.1 will be released in March 2007.

Regards,

Tony

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Tony,

Isn't CCME 4.1 out already with 12.4(11)XJ ?

Regards from a former Cisco TME :)

Bronze

Hi,

Yes, CME 4.1 will be supported for "EARLY ADOPTERS" in 12.4(11)XJ - I should have caveated my previous statement to mention the IOS in case people wanted to try out the software earlier :)

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I am having a rough time locating 12.4(11)XJ for a 3745 as well as the 4.1 software. I have checked the Compatibility Matrix and Specifications for 4.1 and the 3745 is listed as a supported platform however when attempting to download the software, neither can be located.

If you happen to know a location to find this could you please let us know.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Bronze

Hi Kenny,

You are right. I asked a few people to look into this internally earlier this week - will update this post with the findings.

Thanks,

Tony

Bronze

Hi Kenny,

Got word back that 12.4(11)XJ is a BU special and won't be avaiable for the 37XX, 26XX, only available for the ISRs.

When T train comes out in March for CME 4.1, it will be available for the 37XXs.

Regards,

Tony

Tony,

We are having problems with outbound PSTN calls "hanging" and not completing (no ringback) with our current CME install. This behavior is sporadic, occurs frequently with Long Distance dialing and sometimes with local dialing. I am wondering if configuring more specific dial-peers will help correct this behavior. Would you please take a look at my current CME configuration and make suggestions. I have attached shrun and shver from our 2811 CME router. Thank you, Michael.

Bronze

Hi,

I looked into your config and for the most part, it looks fine. The dial-peers are fine (meaning that your destination-patterns are ok and don't need to be changed to be more specific). I'm thinking that either the problem only occurs when dialing certain destination numbers or goes out certain ports.

It would be helpful to capture the following debugs for a failed call.

debug voice ccapi inout

debug vpm signal

debug voip dialpeer

Please note that these debugs are verbose, so please log them to buffer and not the console or monitor.

Thanks,

Tony

Super Bronze

Hi Tony

1) I recently went to download some CME files and there seems to be some issue with CME 4.0(3) downloads... According to the release notes, 4.0(3) is the first version to support the 7931 handset.

At the download URL (http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-key) 12.4(11)T is listed as supporting 4.0(2), but the download includes firmware for the 7931.

12.4(4)XC4 is listed as supporting 4.0(3), but doesn't include 7931 firmware.

To confuse things further the compatibility matrix (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/prod_installation_guide09186a00805acf50.html) lists both these versions as supporting 4.0(3).

I reported this using the feedback link but rec'd an email wanting support contract information before anyone would look into it... tedious!

2) When/if CME will support third party SIP handsets?

3) Finally I have a customer running CME and using ephone hunt groups.. calls coming in display the hunt group number, not the CLI (in missed calls lists and on the handset). Can this be configured to display CLI or do I need to use a different call distribution method (i.e. overlay DNs or something)?

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Bronze

Hi Aaron,

Please see my reply inline:

Hi Tony

1) I recently went to download some CME files and there seems to be some issue with CME 4.0(3) downloads... According to the release notes, 4.0(3) is the first version to support the 7931 handset.

At the download URL (http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-key) 12.4(11)T is listed as supporting 4.0(2), but the download includes firmware for the 7931.

12.4(4)XC4 is listed as supporting 4.0(3), but doesn't include 7931 firmware.

To confuse things further the compatibility matrix (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/prod_installation_guide09186a00805acf50.html) lists both these versions as supporting 4.0(3).

[Tony] ? CME 4.0(3) is the first CME version that supports the 7931 phones. You are correct in stating that the compatibility matrix is incorrect, 12.4(11)T should actually be 4.0.2 instead of 4.0.3 (I will work on getting this properly documented). Additionally, I will make a note and change the 12.4(4)XC4 zip file to include the 7931 phone load. In the meantime, you can use the following link to get the 7931 phone load.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-iostsp

I reported this using the feedback link but rec'd an email wanting support contract information before anyone would look into it... tedious!

2) When/if CME will support third party SIP handsets?

[Tony] ? We are still determining/qualifying 3rd party sip phones ? should expect to know within 6 months regarding the progress regarding the 3rd party sip handsets

3) Finally I have a customer running CME and using ephone hunt groups.. calls coming in display the hunt group number, not the CLI (in missed calls lists and on the handset). Can this be configured to display CLI or do I need to use a different call distribution method (i.e. overlay DNs or something)?

[Tony] ? When you say ?not the CLI?, do you mean command line interface? What do you expect to see? Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks

Aaron

Hall of Fame Super Gold

[quote]

[Tony] ? We are still determining/qualifying 3rd party sip phones ? should expect to know within 6 months regarding the progress regarding the 3rd party sip handsets

[/quote]

Hi Tony, are the Linksys phones supported as of today ? If not, will they have a shorter qualifying path ?

Regards, Paolo

Bronze

Hi Paolo,

As of today, there are no 3rd party sip phones certified for support with CME. The team that is testing this hopes to have something by March 2007 (including Linksys), but this is very TENTATIVE and can change.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thank you VM Tony.

Super Bronze

Hi Tony

[Tony] ? When you say ?not the CLI?, do you mean command line interface? What do you expect to see? Can you elaborate on this?

--------------------------------------

Sorry - CLI = caller-id in UK slang!

System has FXO ports using plar opx to a hunt group, and displays the hunt group number on the handsets instead of the caller-id of the incoming call...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Bronze

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the clarification. You should be able to see the PSTN caller-id when a call comes in from the PSTN. You mentioned that the call comes into the system via fxo ports. Do you have ?caller-id enable? configured underneath the fxo port? Also, can you verify whether or not caller-id is provisioned on the line?

Thanks,

Tony

I have had the same Active Call Clearing happen on a 2821 with IOS 12.4(3f). In some cases I was able to clear the active calls, but the other calls could only be cleared by reloading the router.

Also, after the router came back up, the internet connection went down. A replacement of the cross-over cable to the WIC fixed this problem. I know this all could be related to the release. Can you confirm this or advise me of what may cause this?

Thanks,

Scott

Bronze

Hi Scott,

It sounds like it may be a defect. When you see the same Active Call, perform a "show call active voice brief" and look for the active call that you are reporting. The output should let you know how long the call has been up and what are the endpoints (IP address) involved (perhaps the other side is another gateway or an ip phone). It would be helpful to troubleshoot with TAC during this time to determine if this is a ghost/phantom call and why it was not torn down.

Hope this helps,

Tony

we will capture the debug output as requested and send to you. Do you have any other suggestions for improving or changing my configuration ?

Bronze

Hi Michael,

Mostly everything else is cosmetic. Like instead of having destination-pattern of 9.T, you could have just configured 9T (no behavioral change).

If you have dial-peers with specific destination-patterns such as the following, you would have to replicate it for each port.

Destination-patterns:

9911 (with forward digits 3)

911 (with forward digit all)

9[2-9]?? (with forward digits 7)

91[2-9]......... (with forward digits 11)

9011T (with prepend 011)

I?ll wait for the debugs to see if I can isolate the problem.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

here is the debug output that you requested...2 failed calls are showing in the attached output.

Called Number=93799900

Called Number=94041535

Any input you have greatly appreciated. These are "local" calls, will try to capture output of a failed "LD" call this am and forward to you.

Thank you,

MDD

I am having an issue transfering calls from an IP phone to an analog phone connected to an FXS port on the CME rtr. I am running IOS 12.4.9T2 on a 3745 platform. I have an analog phone connecting to an FXS port with no ATA attached. I have no issues w/ the analog phones dial peer. The analog phones are able to call out to pstn and IP phones are able to directly dial the analog phones. However when a transfer is initiated from an IP phone or from AA the system can not find the extension?

Looking at debugs I can see that the the correct dail peer is being chosen during the set up of the transfer but then it gets a disconnet cause value=17 because it sees the endpoint as busy?

Bronze

Hi,

I looked at the debugs really quickly. I have a few questions:

(1) Can you provide me a ?show ver? and ?show run?

(2) Additionally, I see in the debug that you are calling to extension 8100 at ephone-dn 2. Is this correct?

(3) After I get the show ver and show run, I may need you to capture additional debugs to verify which dial-peer is matched and which fxs port the call is being sent to.

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I am uploading the config info for you. Since the last post the issue has gotten worse and I am not able to transfer anywhere in the system.

Bronze

Can you configure the following command underneath telephony-service?

transfer-pattern .T

Tony;

I have a 2801 running CME4.0(1) and i have a Broadvioce SIP line registered to it the calls are working fine incoming and outgoing the issue I have is DTMF relay. Broadvoice only supports SIP Inband DTMF tones I have entered the dtmf-relay rtp-net in the dial peers and for me this doesn't seem to fix it I have talked to others on Voxilla and that fixed theirs I also tried dtmf-relay sip-notify rtp-nte to no avail. Any thoughts...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content