Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - CATALYST 4500

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on the new software features and services on the Catalyst 4500 with Cisco expert Mala Srivastava. Mala is a product manager in Campus Switching Systems Technology Group (CSSTG) and focuses on wiring closet solutions, power, and "green" technologies on both the Cisco Catalyst 6500 4500 Series platforms. She first joined Cisco in 2000 and has worked in software development on the Gigabit Switch Router (GSR). She joined the Internet System group's marketing team in 2007. Srivastava has a master's degree in electrical engineering from Purdue University and a master of business administration from UCLA's Anderson School of Management.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mala know if you have received an adequate response.

Mala might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through September 11, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

21 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CATALYST 4500

Hi Mala,

I have few questions regarding 4507R with SUP-V and 12.2(50)SG1.

* Does 4507 supports multicast routing in VRF with the IOS mentioned above ?

* I know that when you create tunnels in 4507, The packets passing through tunnels are processed switches not hardware switches, resulting in high CPU utilization.. Can we overcome this issue in 4507 ??

* What is the throughput in terms of speed on tunnel inteface when configured for a vrf ..??

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Packets on tunnels are software switched. One can use Control plan policing to mitigate high CPU. Expect about 50 Kpps and tunneling (GRE) is not supported under VRFs.

Hi Mala,

I have few 4507R in my campus, recently i upgraded those with 12.2(50)SG1 to get the features of ISSU and IPSLA ?

How often one should change the IOS on 4507 switches ?

When does cisco releases the Major version of IOS release ?

What should be the standard timeframe to review your IOS for upgradation ?

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Twice a year we usually have two major releases on the Cat4K. e.g. Spring 09 and Fall 09. One of these may be a new feature release and the other a maintenance release.

I would recommend an upgrade to the maintenance release if a previous maintenance release was nearing EoS. New Feature release only if a custoemr want's to leverage a particular feature e.g. EnergyWise in Spring 09

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Does 4507 supports multicast routing in VRF with the IOS mentioned above?

Only the Sup6 support Multicast over VRF.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Mala,

Have a couple of road-map questions; In regards to 10GigE what are Cisco's future plans for the 4500? Do they see it is a viable platform? Are faster back-planes in progress to reduce contention and allow for higher density?

Smart call home has just been ported (or enabled) on the 4500, what other features can we expect to see in the near future?

Netflow, are their any plans for modules beyond the SUP 6-E to support?

hierarchical QoS, what do you see as the main differences between what IOS on an ISR, vs 3750 vs the 4500? are their plans to merge how this is done over the Cisco platforms?;

. The Cat4K has a strong roadmap. Please see -

http://wwwin.cisco.com/dss/csstg/gsbu/roadmap/

. Netflow will be available on our next gen Sups, Sup7-E and Sup7L-E

. SUPV-10GE supports uBRL (hierarchical policers but no egress hierarchical qos) . SUP6-E does not have a support for HQOS

Mala-

Can you check your link, it isn't working.

What is WS-X4648-RJ45V+E ? It is described as PoEP or POE+ ready.

1. Does it mean that it provides power or it will provide power in future ?

2. Will ordinary POE devices work with it ?

3. Will it support power with SUP-6L-E with LAN base image ?

Do you know any good link showing details of this card ?

The +E linecard is PoEP ready today - it will be able to provide PoE power (802.3af std for current devices) and next generation PoEP (802.3at std for next generation devices)

So to your questions -

1. Yes - its ready today and would need a SW upgrade to support 30W/ port

2. Yes

3. PoEP or 30W/ port is currently planned for IP Base and above

Check out the linecard tab at -

http://wwwin.cisco.com/dss/csstg/gsbu/c4500/index.shtml

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Hi Mala,

You are posting internal links. You need to find customer facing links so it can be useful on this thread.

Hi Mala,

How many VRFs are supported by the sup6 and sup6-lite?

Thanks

64 on Sup6E. Sup6L-E does not support Enterprise Services IOS and hence no VRF.

Hello,

I have a 4507R platform with Supervisor 6-E engines, each with two tengig ports. On slot 3, tengig3/1 has the gigabit interfaces 3/3 & 3/4 active and enabled. tengig3/2 is still set to default at 10G. I entered the hw-module module 3 port-group 2 select gigabitethernet to enable the pair of gig interface 3/5 & 3/6, however they are still remaining in the inactive state..? According to Cisco's documentation, I do not have to reboot the 4507R platform to activate the gig interfaces. After not being able to get gig3/5 & gig3/6 to go active, I rebooted the platform anyway. They are still inactive. I also tried the module 3 reset. How can I get gig3/5 & gig3/6 to go into the active state...?

Gig3/5 & 3/6 have an active SFP in them and I verified that they work by moving them to an active gig port.

Thanks!

Thomas

what is the basic function of a sitch

Cat4K is a multi-layer switch, so both switching (L2) and routing (L3)

what is the basic function of a switch?

Catalyst 4500 is a multi-layer switch and hence does switching and routing.

real quick question concerning the 10gig ports on the sup6E line cards, is there anything in particular I need to do to make them trunks. I will be linking a 4507 distribution switch to a 4510 core, thru the 10 gig ports.

you mentioned a Sup7, when will this product be available?

Views
Helpful
Replies