Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK THE EXPERT- CCIE PROGRAM

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert program with our CCIE team. Feel free to post any questions relating to the CCIE program.

The team might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 3. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

126 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- CCIE PROGRAM

I have passed th CCNA exam, Can I start preparing for CCIE or do I have get the CCNP certifiaction ?

Cisco Employee

You do not need the CCNP certification in order to pursue your CCIE.

I have 2 questions:

1. when is the CCIE C&S for VoIP coming out?

2. is it true that IPX, token ring, igrp will be ruled out of the CCIE exam (both written and lab) as of 04-11-2002 and that the 5000 series will be replaced with the 3550s?

Can you help clarify the second point, especially?

Thanks

Eyabane

Your second point is answered easily. It's all explained here

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/ccie_program/whatsnew.html#18

Now obviously they are going to replace the removed topics with other things. And those removed topics were, to be perfectly honest, some of the easiest points to get.

But it shouldn't matter. If you're really an 'expert', you should be able to pass whatever lab they give you. If you can't ,then maybe you aren't an expert.

The IP Telephony C&S exam is still several months away from release. You can keep an eye on our web site for the announcement of the beta exam, if you would like to be involved with that when the time comes. We will also post the release date for the final version of the exam when we get close to that date.

Cisco Employee

First of all, any changes or additions to a CCIE exam track would be posted to our website, www.cisco.com/go/ccie, at this time there are no announcements regarding adding new components to C&S

IPX, Token Ring, igrp will be dropped from the CCIE lab, (not the written). The single Cat5000 in each candidate rack will be replaced with 2 Cat3550's.

How limited will I be if I only have one 3550 in my home lab? The price of two 3550s is more than most people can afford to add, especially with the EMI model. I guess I'll still keep my cat5k for educational purposes though.

Cisco Employee

Hi, in response to your question regarding the 3550. It really depends on when you plan to take your lab. Up until our deadline to complete the addtion of the 2 3550's to our lab racks, we will continue test as we have for the Cat5000. By this, I mean, until November 4th, the content in our labs will not change from what we test now. We are introducing the 3550's early so that folks will not be caught off guard by their presence in the lab prior to November 4th. I think it is important to remember that in many of our labs, it will take some time to fully populate each lab with our changes.

The link provided seems to be outadated, I got an error message on it, any other place where I can find info about the coming R&S CCIE written test

The blueprint for the new R&S exam, which should be released in late July, is located here- http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/certifications/RoutingBeta.html

Hi moderator, (re-post it here. sorry for the duplication)

I just want to ask how many Security CCIE and how many C&S CCIE are there. Is there a way I can find this out? or there is no answer this this quesiton?

And I heard that these three CCIE lab exam (R&S, Security, C&S) overlap for about 50% to 75%. This occur in the core routing issue. Is that true?

Cisco Employee

There is an overlap of the R/S and Security Lab of no more than 30%. The overlap is mostly within the area of core routing.

Cisco Employee

In response to your question as to how many Security CCIE's are there? Currently there are 38 CCIE's in Security.

Hi,

How many C&S CCIE are there now?

Regards

Cisco Employee

There are approx 16 C&S CCIE's.

Hi,

I have following queries:

1. When the current CCIE written (350-001) gets retired and when Cisco is planning to introduce 351-001.

2. In the new LAB exam, whether the ip addresses are already configured on the interfaces of all the routers?

regards

Silju

The current 350-001 will be replaced by the new version in late July 2002. Additional information will be posted on our web site once we have a firm release date.

Any insight on what changes will be made (i.e which topics removed and which ones added)?

Hi,,,,

One Question..

I must hope the new version of July or is possible to make examination 350-001 at the beginning of July ( 10 July) without problem.???

Cisco Employee

regarding the lab exam, there are ip addresses configured on most Primary interfaces as part of the initial configurations.

Hi,

1) on CCIE-online, no available lab seat is displayed for R&S lab in Singapore. Is Singapore lab closing??

2) dispite the effort to make the waiting queue any shorter for R&S lab seats by making the lab from 2days to 1day, we still need to wait for 5 months in Tokyo to obtain a new lab date. Are the number of candidates actually increasing exponentially??

thanks,

Cisco Employee

Hi,

In response to Question Number 1, there has been no official announcement, however the scheduling for the Singapore lab is currently being blocked due to changes that will be effective around the Oct-Nov time frame. Please watch our CCIE web site http://www.cisco.com/go/ccie and watch for the OFFICIAL announcement regarding what is going on with Singapore. Once plans are finalized, you will be informed.

In response to your second question, currently management is working on the increase in backlog but is confident that once all proposed changes have been finalized that this situation will be greatly improved. Again, we ask that you watch our website for official announcements regarding Hong Kong.

What is being done to reduce the waiting time for lab seats in other areas of the world e.g. Europe? Retakes of the lab are allowed after 30 days however this is not possible due to waiting lists over 6 months. Are there any plans for another testing location within Europe?

Cisco Employee

We are looking at measures other than adding more sites or expanding existing labs. Historically, we have found that regardless of how far we expand, the problem of backlog continues to exist. Therefore, we are exploring methods that wil enable us to use the existing equipment and resources more efficiently and in a more globally available manner. Although it will be some time before we can reveal our plans, this is as serious a topic for CCIE programs today as it has ever been.

Kathe,

There are rumors on various forums that Cisco is going to change its labs to non-proctored online version via remote access. That indeed utilizes your existing lab infrastructure worldwide, but with possible negative effect on the cert value. Any comment on that?

regards,

Cisco Employee

Cisco CCIE Program attitude is first ,to consider that we have made a number of significant changes in the last year. We continue to study the results of these changes. Therefore, before any other changes are considered that we will study a diverse set of indicators, and collect additional information from all of our CCIE body worldwide to determine which course will work best for us now. One of the reasons why we are opening up forums such as this is to encourage dialogue among the many stakeholders in our program and to draw upon your participation in these exchanges to keep our program on course. We reserve the right to explore and research our rich collective enviroment in the name of this pursuit.

I've got a question with regards to the value the CCIE certification to a company from a business standpoint that already holds a Gold Partner Status. I am currently pursuing my CCIE and was wondering what additional benefits, if any, do I add to my company if I acheive my CCIE status considering that my company is a Gold Partner and already has more than the minimum required CCIE's. I just want to know if additional product discounts, support benefits, etc.... are possible when a company adds additional CCIE's beyond the mininium #'s required as defined by Cisco's Partnership standards.

thanks for your time

greg

Cisco Employee

Dear Greg,

Im inclined to answer your question with another question.

Are you suggesting that perhaps we should consider additional benefits for those Gold Partners, or those CCIE's working for Gold Partners who exceed the CCIE requirement for Gold Status? Are we overlooking an achievement that we should hear more about?

We are very interested in knowing and sharing the individual and unique participants in our program!

CCIE Program,

Well, would have to say yes to your question. Here is another way to phrase my question........I am eagarly pursuing my CCIE status at my own financial/personal expense. Considering, that I do work for a Cisco Gold Partner I am just concerned of my situation from my company's standpoint. If I do pass in the near future....what added value do I provide to my company besides being another highly skilled Cisco engineer on staff? Basically, I'm just looking to see what inventives can/or does Cisco provide to motivate their established partners to have more CCIE's on staff considering the current economic market and financial investment required to attain the CCIE.

greg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content