Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK THE EXPERT - CCIE VOICE

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on CCIE Voice certification with Cisco expert Ben Ng. Ben is a program manager with the CCIE program at Cisco Systems, Inc., where he manages exam content for the CCIE Voice track. Prior to joining the CCIE program, Ng worked in Cisco’s Technical Assistance Center (TAC) where he provided technical and escalation support to Cisco customers on WAN, LAN switching, Multi-Service, and Unified Communications technologies. Ben is excited about how Cisco technologies, UC in particular, are redefining how people communicate with one another; and he is passionate about enabling engineers to excel in Cisco UC careers via training and certifications. Certified in CCIE R&S and Voice, Ben also holds a Master of Science in Telecommunications Management from Oklahoma State University.

Remember to use the rating system to let Ben know if you have received an adequate response.

Ben might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 12, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

124 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CCIE VOICE

Hi all,

It's that time of the year again, great to communicate with all of you on this little piece of virtual real estate - thanks NetPro!

Alright, all questions are fair game, as long as all answers are fair game too.

Please also pardon possible reply delays during weekends, that is PST time zone the U.S.

-ben

Bronze

Hi Ben,

I had initially looked at CCIE-V about 3 years ago, and remember at the time it was still CCM 4.1, Unity 4.0, IPCC 3.5, CME 3.3, CUE 2.2

I believe this was updated back in 2008.   Can you quickly run through what versions the exam currently centers around, and when you expect it to next be updated?

Cisco Employee

Hi johnnylingo,

Here is a good starting point on the CCIE Voice v3.0 lab exam blueprint and equipment list:

Blueprint:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5281

Equipment:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5292

Some highlights of the changes are, removal of all analog voice and the CA6K, added CUPS, and upgraded all UC softwares to 7.0.

When is the next upgrade? Let's leave that as a topic of discussion for the next NetPro session on CCIE Voice, by then I should have some thoughts around it.

Thanks for being the first poster!

-ben

Community Member

Hi Ben,

Could you please confirm the cucme version (7.0 or 7.1) tested  in the ccie voice lab.......

Also the availablity of the lab in Dubai.

thanks

Tom

Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

CUCME 7.0

It is my hope to have Dubai Voice lab ready by March 15th 2010, but this is a very tentative date.

-ben

Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to get advise which regards to  my home lab setup.

I have 4 routers with all of them have Pri ports  and E1 Serial Links for frame-relay links

Also have 6 E1s on my PSTN router ,I know that ccie real lab will be tested with  T1 Circuit also.

Although I have my pstn simulation configuration in my router without considering Globalization/Normalization/localization.

It would be a great help for the candidates if you could  provide a sample PSTN router(Simulation) configuration with globalization/localization concepts

Regards

Tom

Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

My apoligies for not replying your post earlier, it got lost in the pile somehow.

Globalizd dialing on a router configured as a PSTN simulation is all about voice translation profiles and patterns, if you want to get fancy you can throw cor-list in there too. Please take it as a challenge to set it up for your dial-plan, I believe it is an excellent opportunity to learn.

However, I do realize that a sample will help, unfortunately I can't paste my production config here, but still, I will take it as an action item to compile a sample and post it on the Cisco Learning Network's CCIE Voice study group. It will take a few weeks though.

In the mean time, if any fellow engineers is willing to share their PSTN config, please be my guess.

Knowledge is such a waste if not shared.

-ben

Hi Ben,

I would like to know the best and beginner level books for understanding of voice with some troubleshooting steps on voice network. What would you suggests if a beginner wants to enter into voice field what are the pre requiste should be necessary for a beginner.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Cisco Employee

Hi Garnesh,

Here are the Voice books I would recommend:

Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers (Donohue, Mallory, Salhoff, ISBN#

158705258X)

Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony (Giralt, Hallmark, Smith, ISBN# 1587050757)

Also there's one out on SIP Trunks is good to have, considering the importance of SIP in today's VoIP networks. I think the authors are Christina Hattingh, Darryl Sladden, and a gentleman names ATM.

I also applause your specific desire to understand troubleshooting, because of this, you are well on your way of becoming an expert.

-ben

Hi Garnesh,

Here are the Voice books I would recommend:

Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers (Donohue, Mallory, Salhoff, ISBN#

158705258X)

Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony (Giralt, Hallmark, Smith, ISBN# 1587050757)

Also there's one out on SIP Trunks is good to have, considering the importance of SIP in today's VoIP networks. I think the authors are Christina Hattingh, Darryl Sladden, and a gentleman names ATM.

I also applause your specific desire to understand troubleshooting, because of this, you are well on your way of becoming an expert.

-ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing good books on voip and troubleshooting books on voip and i would like to have your view for begniners if they faces any problem how they should start to attack the problem in order to fast troubleshooting purpose.

Ganesh.H

Cisco Employee

Hi Ganesh,

Sure, everyone has to start somewhere, that's all of us. Personally I think the having a solid foundation on the basics is very important. Seek to understand not only on how to make something work, but also pay attention to why things work (or don't work). Pick things apart, via debug or configuration trials, to see how components work independently and interactively, and understand their role in a solution.

When troubleshooting, try to isolate the problem first. When you get overwhelmed, go back to the basics, that's why having a solid foundation is so critical. And remember the OSI layer is a wonderful thing. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, as long as you learn from them.

Many people ask me how to read debugs if there's no published guidance, I'd say read whatever you can understand in there - last time I checked the output was not in Chinese. Read it anyway and it (the understanding) will come.

As far as "fast" troubleshooting goes, I really don't have any tricks, it comes with experience.

Lastly, I was happy to see this document still in circulation, it's a quick tip to understand the call legs, might be outdated but I think it's one of those classics.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094045.shtml

-ben

Community Member

Hi Ben,

I took the written approximately a year ago and have not progressed with studying for the lab as quickly as I had hoped to.   I consider it a real possibility that I'll need to take the written again.

1. What is the timeline of the written test being revised to be more in line with the new blueprint, if that hasn't already been done?  (4.1 vs 7.0)   I think i'd rather re-take it after a refresh.

2. In an earlier post you referred to books you like.  Can you offer any input on cisco.com resources that you feel are vital prep material in addition to the CUCM SRND?

3. Is there a Lab date availability issue at RTP?   See:   http://www.mail-archive.com/ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com/msg14169.html//www.mail-archive.com/ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com/msg14169.html

(I left my exam results at the office so I can't login at the moment and see if this is still the case)

Thank you for your time.  I'm sure this is going to be a very popular Ask The Expert.

-Jeff

Cisco Employee

Hello Jeff,

The written exam will be refreshed this year, most likely in the July/Aug time frame. The written blueprint will not change significantly, as the written exam always focuses on the core theory and concepts on VoIP and UC. We are also conducting on-going maintanance on the existing written exam questions to flush out any obsolete technologies.

About preparation resources, I used a Cisco courseware called "Communications Manager v7.0, UCM70" to learn the + dialing and other "new" 7.0 concepts. I found that to be useful, I would like to invite others to chime in and offer resources which is useful to their study, but no advertisement of bootcamps which teaches the test please. :-P

Lastly, my apologies but I am not in position to comment on the situation in RTP, but I can assure you that Cisco is working very hard so that the site continue to services our valued candidates.

-ben

hi ben

i am preparing for CCIE Voice written exam , Can you Please guide me from where I can get the list of books which are essential for CCIE written exam.

Regards

Irfan Tariq

Cisco Employee

Hi Irfan,

For the written exam, I'd recommand the following. And please study it with the written exam blueprint topics in mind.

1. Cisco Voice over IP, Second Edition (Kevin Wallace)

2. Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers (Donohue, Mallory, Salhoff)

3. Voice over IP Fundamentals, 2nd Edition (Jonathan Davidson, James Peters, Manoj Bhatia, Satish Kalidindi, Sudipto Mukherjee)

4. Cisco IP Communications Express: CallManager Express with Cisco Unity Express (Danelle Au, Baldwin Choi, Rajesh Haridas, Christina Hattingh, Ravi Koulagi, Mike Tasker, Lillian Xia.)

5. End-to-End QoS Network Design: Quality of Service in LANs, WANs, and VPNs (Tim Szigeti, Christina Hattingh)

6. SIP Trunking (Christina Hattingh, Darryl Sladden, ATM Zakaria Swapan)

-ben

Community Member

Hi ben,

Our costumer has a cluster of 2 call manager release 7.1.2 and a single server  UCCX  release 7.0.1 SR4. when the publisher is down , all my ip phone registered with  the subscriber but the Agent cannot log in CAD and it impossible to log on CRS Admnistrator.  I would like to keep  CAD service even if the publisher is down?

Best reguards

Pamela.

Cisco Employee

Hi Pamela,

Yes, it can be done. If you don't mind, I would like to challenge all the experts monitoring this thread to post the answer. First one to post the correct answer will receive a CCIE baseball cap.

I will post the answer if no one provided the correct answer by 6:00PM PST Feb 3rd 2010.

Pamela, if this is business critical, please unicast me at benng@cisco.com and I will email you the answer.

-ben

Cisco Employee

Ok, thanks for all the posts and the unicasts.

We have a winner: Roger (roger.kallberg) please send me (benng@cisco.com) with your ship-to address and I will send the cap your way.

Pam, in UCCX 7.0 AXL is used to communicate with CUCM for user authentication, so you need to ensure that your UCCX server is aware of any secondary AXL provider, in your case, the CUCM subscriber.

The configuration is done on the UCCX server: from the appadmin page go to: "System" > "Cisco Unified CM Configuration", and then make sure both of your CUCM appears in the "Selected AXL Service Providers" window in an order you desire. Then click "OK" at the bottom to update. Please see the attached jpeg for an graphical illustration.

As to the other two providers mentioned by Roger and other participants, they all have their specific purposes, I will leave it up to you to find out what they do and whether or not you need them.

Lastly, you need to stop/start the UCCX engine for this change to take effect, pls remember to schedule an downtime with your customer to implement the change.

Thanks again for all the participatin.

-ben

Community Member

Hi all please, see the attached file. This my configuration : the 10.11.0.1 is the publisher and 10.11.1.1 is the subscriber.

Cisco Employee

Hi Pam,

Not nic-picking but the ip addresses in the picture do not match with your post, but I think it's just a typo in your post right?

Cheers,

-ben

Hi Pamela,

You need to add both your CUCM servers as AXL provider, CM telephony provider (JTAPI) and RmCm provider (RMJTAPI) in the UCCX. These are tree differnt fields in the CUCM integration settings in the UCCX. These settings can be found under System/Unified CM Configuration.

Also double check that CTI Manager and Cisco AXL Web service is started on both the Pub and Sub CUCM.

Best of luck

/Roger

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.
Community Member

I concur that Roger's solution will resolve the issue, however, I do not think that the AXL provider field would impact this issue.

First, make sure that the cti manager service is running on the subscriber

Then move the subscriber ip address from the "available cti manager" to the "selected cti-manager" fields in the CM telephony provider (JTAPI) and RmCm provider (RMJTAPI) sections in the UCCX  server > system > cisco unified cm intergration admin page

Community Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all your answers, but I have already done this configuration. My two CUCM appears in the axl provider field.  My cluster is integrated with a ladp server. I think this is our problem because there is no Dir Sync service on the subscriber maybe this is the reason why i could'nt log in CRSAdministrator and CAD.

Thanks in advance

Pam

Cisco Employee

Hi Pam,

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Why did you leave off the LDAP part? Just kidding, I scold myself for failure to probe the right questions - I am still too far from being an expert.

Still the AXL stuff stands, and hope everyone learned something about the role AXL plays in UCCX user authentication. I certainly did.

But at least now we can scratch the UCCX out of the picture for the time being, the remaining question is then: in a LDAP integrated CUCM environment for directory authentication, will user authentication continue to work when the PUB goes down?

I hope the answer is yes, but to be honest I don't know at this moment, I need to find a test bed to validate. I've also queried our internal directory experts, hopefully they will give us some good news. In the mean time Pam, I am wondering if toggling the "Use LDAP Authentication for End Users" checkbox on the LDAP Authentication page on CUCM have any affect, I will try it out once I have a test system.

Until then, thanks for the learning folks, I am enjoying it. And, Roger, could you mail the cap back? Just kidding and cheers!

-ben

Cisco Employee

Hi Pam,

I got confirmation from the development team that user authentication to LDAP should still work through the subscriber node, when the pub is down. So, that's good news. I have also confirmed this statement to some extend in the ldap-enabled test bed I whipped out yesterday - that the appadmin page continues to function after the pub is shut, though the page took about 3 minutes to load initially.

With this in mind, I suggest you to carry this issue forward with our TAC. Please feel free to reference to this discussion thread and you may also ask the TAC engineer to email me so I could provide him/her some background and the internal communication from our development team.

Cheers and thanks for a great learning experience so far,

-ben

VIP Purple

Pamela,

You can configure multiple LDAP servers for failover. See the following link.

http://www.ciscosystems.md/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1846/products_tech_note09186a00804b4982.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Community Member

Active Directory and DNS coming?

Hi Ben,

Someone else asked if Active Directory and DNS are coming (if so, when?) and if VPIM is testable?  You're response was that AD and DNS are testable but probably pre-configured.  Hmmm, wouldn't there be a blue print update/announcement before AD and DNS would appear in the lab?  Since they aren't listed on the blue print today, one might feel a little overwhelmed if they sat down and realized they need to configure these technologies (AD and DNS).  Can you please clarify your original answer?  Hopefully it will put us more at ease.  And, by the way, if AD and DNS are coming, is there a target date?  Better yet, how much advance notice could we expect?

Thanks,

Mark

Cisco Employee

Re: Active Directory and DNS coming?

Hi Mark,

I commented that AD and DNS is likely to be a preconfigured item for the lab exam. Whether or not this constitutes a blueprint change is debatable IMHO.

If your customer were to ask you to integrate their CUCM/Unity/IPCC/Presense with an established AD directory, how much preparation time will it take to put you "at ease"? Whatever your answer is, 1/3/6 months or more, I suggest you to give yourself that advance notice.

Better yet, I would like to invite those who moniter the thread to start posting links about how to integrate UC apps into AD directory, let the learning start today.

-ben

Community Member

Hi Ben,

How many blank sheets of paper do we get to write on?

Thanks,

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content