Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO AIRONET 1500 SERIES MESH ACCESS POINT

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Lily Chen about the Cisco Aironet 1500 series mesh access point. Lily is a product manager for Cisco Systems? Wireless Network Business Unit. She works with cross-functional groups to define, develop and deliver Wireless LAN products and solutions to market. She continues with managing these products throughout their life cycle. Lily is responsible for managing Cisco Aironet access points, including the Cisco 1130AG Series access point. The 1130AG Series is Cisco?s first integrated dual-band 802.11a/b/g access point. Lily joined Cisco in 2000 with the Wireless Access Business Unit (fixed wireless).

Remember to use the rating system to let Lily know if you have received an adequate response.

Lily might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 26, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

38 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO AIRONET 1500 SERIES MESH ACCESS POINT

Need notes, white papers, any journal book please inform me for a research work...

"Development of bandwidth of routers over the last 20 years"

Thanks in advance

Shakir

Cisco Press carries lots of titles on routing. You can search for something that may have the information you are looking for at: www.ciscopress.com. Otherwise, you may try posting your request to the Network Infrastructure discussion forum.

what is equivalent or similar of redline communication's AN-30eterminal backhaul solution in cisco

waris

The 1500 provides its own backhaul between mesh access points using the 5 GHz band. We also have the Cisco Aironet 1400 Series Bridge, which is similar to the AN-30e. Details on the 1400 can be found at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/index.html. Additionally, Redline is a Cisco Technology Developer Program, where we have tested their AN-100u to work as an alternative "wired" backhaul for the 1500.

Hi, I have a quick design question.

I have a small office, 10ish users/NW printers, and at the moment they are connected to the main building using a wireless bridge using old 350's which is working well at the moment, but is a bit slow now. The site is separated by a main road so the chances of getting fibre are non existent. The site is also on its own vlan to minimise un needed traffic.

I have just installed a new light weight ap network throughout the main site with 4400 controllers.

What I would like to know is can I use the 1500 series in a bride capacity, and include them onto the controllers to allow a single point of management. At the moment I have no design plans to provide coverage for users outside.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

Yes, the 1500 is also based on the Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP), and will work with your 4400 controller. You can bridge between two sites with a 1500 on each end of the link. You simply need to enable Ethernet Bridging on the APs (on the configuration page of the APs).

You need to be careful with ethernet bridging because it currently only supports a single VLAN - traffic will be 'dumped' into the native VLAN by the 'root' AP.

Also, the 1500's have had some problems using older WLC code - make sure you use the very latest code on your WLC - 4.0.206.0

Hi Lily,

Can you please provide me the antena specifications for Cisco 1500 Mesh Access Point. I want to know the horizontal & vertical beamwidth & the approximate range of the antennas at different data rates since this will really help us designing the solution.

Following are the antennas for which I want the details -

2.4-GHz AIR-ANT2455V-N

5-GHz AIR-ANT5175V-N & AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N

Thanks

Sushil

The antenna reference guide provide details on all Cisco antennas, and can be found at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html.

Specifically for the AIR-ANT2455V-N, this is an omnidirectional antenna, with a 25 degree elevation. For the AIR-ANT5175V-N, this is an omni, with a 50 degree elevation. For the AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N, this has a 60 degree azimuth beamwidth, and 60 degree elevation.

Thanks Lily,

I went through this link but it does not mentios the antenna range [the coverage provided by the antenna at different datarates].

Can you please provide me this information.

Thanks,

Sushil

There is no one size fits all when it comes to coverage since the RF environments are variable. Very generally speaking, you may expect to see somewhere from 500-600 ft radius for client coverage with the AIR-ANT2455V-N, and 1000-1500 ft for backhaul coverage.

Hi,

I found the elevation degree are different for the below two link about AIR-ANT5175V-N

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/prod_installation_guide09186a008068f2d6.html This one said 16degree

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html. and this one said 50degree

Are those definition for elevation degree are different, not 3dB?

Thanks

Chris

Please i will like to know how many client running concurrently can the aironet 1500 AP hold in a wireless mesh Architecture on G/B frequency. Also can 1.5km radius on 2.4Ghz be attained using Aironet 1500 AP.

I will also like to know the ratio at which Aironet 1500 AP 2.4 ghz with the antenna that can project 1.5km radius and that of a normal laptop wirless communicate. Assuming the laptop is 1.2-1.4km away from the antenna of the AP. can a laptop pick a signal at this point with a data rate of 2mbps?

Thanks

Theoretically, you can have up to 256 clients per AP. However, you probably would not want to design to that, since that would be 256 clients sharing your wireless link. The recommended deployment will depend on the applications that are running on the network. Supporting data applications, you can plan to share the link across about 20 concurrent users on the root AP, with the maximum recommendation decreasing as you go deeper into the mesh (because the throughput is being shared by multiple nodes with many clients on each).

Please am planning to build a mesh network using Aironet 1500 for internet access in an unversity. They intend using (wi-fi enabled)video survillance camera also. Please can you send me a list of all the cisco equipment that i will need to achieve this. Range from management product to accounting. E.g BSSM,SESM,catalyst 6500, WLC and many more. please send it to my email mahlekey@yahoo.com.

And if you can also refer me to an cisco partner or expert who can also help me please do.

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm going to install two ap1510 but I only have one antenna 2.4-GHz AIR-ANT2455V-N for each ap. I see backhaul interface is 802.11a by default , do I need also AIR-ANT5175V-N antenna to work with this kind of ap?

Thank you very much in advanced.

Carolina

I think you must use the backhual interface antenna do achieve anything conecting two aironet 1500 together. Unless you need only one as standalone to serve B/G clients. So you would need an antenna for backhaul interface 802.11a and the other for client access depending on the area you want it to cover.

I hope this helps you.

Yes,

Each 1500 requires a 2.4GHz antenna for client access, and a 5GHz antenna for radio connectivity to other nodes.

Also, make sure you connect the right antenna to the right interface!

[EDIT]

That's presuing you're using a 1510 AP. There is another MESH AP called a 1510 that provides client access AND backhaul through the single B/G radio, in which case you only need one antenna.

Hello,

I'm going to install two ap1510 but I only have one antenna 2.4-GHz AIR-ANT2455V-N for each ap. I see backhaul interface is 802.11a by default , do I need also AIR-ANT5175V-N antenna to work with this kind of ap?

Thank you very much in advanced.

Carolina

Yes, the 1500 has a 2.4 GHz radio, and a 5 GHz radio, and you need one antenna for each, such as the AIR-ANT2455V-N for 2.4 and AIR-ANT5175V-N for 5 Ghz. An alternative antenna for 5 GHz is AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N, which is a directional antenna (the other is an omni).

Could the 1500 series theoretically be used as a long distance link with lets say 26dbi dish antennas? Could be useful to know the distance they could cope with. In Norway the 1400 series isnt available so the 1500 series is the only Cisco alternative to use. We can now use 4Watts in the 5,7-5,8Ghz range.

Has anyone heard or seen a Solar power injector for Aironet 1510 AP?

One for Lilly... Cisco has a number of partners that make all sorts of accessories for the 1500s - maybe this is one.

On the solar powered front, I hope you live somewhere hot because a 1240 draws 13Watts; a 1500 is probably more like 15-20watts?.. I can't get that out of a solar panel where I live...

HTH,

RA

We do not have a solar power solution today. You may look to other vendors for this. Be sure to understand what the solar profile is for your location since, as RikJonAtk points out, this is essential for developing a power budget. Places that get plenty of sun in the summer may not in winter, and you would have to plan for the worst case situation.

Why Cisco not linksys for WLAN Enterprise solution? Please send me a information comparing with both company products in wireless LAN.

Eamil Id:rems@dasnetworks.com

We need to set up an outdoor Wi-Fi network

It is in a mining area and at a high altitude with lots of humidity

The mine roads are at different altitudes. The main mine road is permanent but the feeder roads get constructed as the mining progresses. Access points need to be relocated at the new roads with minimum on-site configuration

Access points need to centrally monitored and managed

About 30 vehicles will ply on the roads & need to communicate vehicle data to a Central Monitoring Station. The in-vehicle systems will be Wi-Fi enabled using an off-the-shelf embedded serial-to-WiFi converter

Are the Aironet 1500 series APs a good fit for this application?

What other Cisco network components will be needed to configure a comprehensive, reliable network solution

Regards,

Dhoresh

The 1500 series is an excellent fit for your scenario. The 1500 APs use the Adaptive Wireless Path Protocol, which re-optimizes the mesh links when network and RF changes occur, such as when APs are moved around, as would be the case with you relocating them. Because the APs are connecting to each other wirelessly, you wont need to pull Ethernet to each AP. Just be sure you have a power source available!

Thank you Lily

We plan to use the Aironet single band 1505

We want long range, our clients are not many( < 30), the data rate requirement is moderate and we want to avoid licensing issues.

Is the Aironet 1505 a proper choice or have we missed out on some important parameters to be considered?

Please Lily, we have two aironet 1500 AP we wish make test of conectivity, interference and troughput, but we haven?t the wireless LAN controller, in order to do the test, we need to know if the 1500 AP will work without the WLC, and how we must configure it.

Is necesary the Cisco Wireles control system sofware for the basic network operation?

Views
Helpful
Replies