Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO SMART BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Cisco SBCS, which is a new integrated system that provides a simple and secure Voice, Video, Data and Mobility solution, with Cisco experts Maulik Shah and Saurabh Verma. Maulik has been with Cisco Systems for the past seven years. He has worked with Unified Communications & Voice over IP systems for the last five years as part of the Cisco Technical Assistance Center and Technical Marketing Team. He has helped design, deploy & troubleshoot multiple customer VoIP networks. In his current role as Technical Marketing Engineer, he is focused on Cisco Unified Communications 500 for Smart Business Communications Solutions (SBCS) & SIP trunking deployments. He is a CCIE (# 8422) in Routing & Switching and Voice. Saurabh has been with Cisco Systems for the past seven years. He has worked with Unified Communications & Voice over IP systems for the last six years as part of the Cisco Technical Assistance Center and Technical Marketing Team. He has helped design, deploy & troubleshoot multiple customer VoIP networks. In his current role as Technical Marketing Engineer, he is focused on Cisco Unified Communications - UC500 for Smart Business Communications Solutions - SBCS deployments. He is a CCIE in Voice.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maulik and Saurabh know if you have received an adequate response.

Maulik and Saurabh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through November 16, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other.

75 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO SMART BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM

In IP commm when to use IPPBX and SIP server in a voice communications network?

Bronze

This question does not appear to be related to this forum. Not sure of the exact question - is this IP PBX versus SIP proxy server? Typically an IP PBX allows call control of the end points locally on itself - thus a lot of the features are handled on the IP PBX (such as UC500, CUCME, CUCM). SIP proxy server would typically be used in large environments when you want to interconnect multiple IP PBXes.

Maulik,

I know call manager is more intelligent then the UC500 but will you please tell me the exact difference. actually i am going to have one small project on voice deployment but i dont have knowledge of voice network so what is the best way to start learning and deployment the voice network in small and medium business...

regards

Devang

Bronze

I assume you mean the windows or linux server based Call Manager (now called Communications Manager). There are lots of differences - the main one being the UC500 is more for the SMB and hence the features are targetted for that. The Communications Manager is for Enterprises.

To get started for deploying Unified Communications (voice, video etc) in the SMB - would suggest you take up the SMB specialization courses at the Partner Central site:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/index.html

Also, a lot of collateral is at:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/support/steps-to-success/index.html

jim
Community Member

If a prospective client wishes to have a proposal for a UC500 system with the ability to have four employees work from home or from a remote site, how do I configure the licensing for four soft phones on their remote PC's? Do I add in four licenses for the Cisco IP Communicator (SW-IPCOMM-E1-CH1)? Or is it SW-IPCOMM-E1= ?

Bronze

You need the SW-IPCOMM-E1=. Also, please make sure the 4 softphones are within the max limit of the UC520 SKU in question.

jim
Community Member

Is the maximum number of softphones supported by the base (8 user) system only two? I was under the impression that two was standard, but licensing could be purchased for more.

Community Member

The recommendation is for 2 softphones. The system can support 8+2 phones. These phones could be any combination of hardphones, softphones, or wireless phones.

The UC500 comes with "CME Phone Licenses" built-in. For the 8-user UC500 system, there are 8+2 licenses, whereas, for 16-user UC500 system, there are 16+2 licenses.

Consider this example:

If you already have 8 hardphones and 2 softphones registered to the system, then you have run out of available license. However, if you have registered 4 hardphones and 2 softphones, then you can register upto 4 more softphones/hardphones/wireless phones.

HTH,

Saurabh

jim
Community Member

To expand on your example, if I only have four hardphones and 2 softphones and I need two more softphones (for a total of four), I do not need to order any licensing at all. Right?

Community Member

Yes, that's correct. You won't need any additional licenses.

-Saurabh

Community Member

I'm not sure if I can add a new question after the session has already been ended.

The UC520W-8U bundle theoretically contains 10 phone licenses, but I can configure "max-ephone 14" under telephony-service, and 14 phones can register to the CME service.

Could you please clarify this contradiction?

Thank you,

Attila

Bronze

The UC520W-8U has 14 licenses - 4 for the built in FXS ports (for fax, modem, analog phones etc) & 10 for IP phones. Also, please note deleting the FXS ports is not a Cisco supported configuration.

Community Member

hello sir i m astudent of CCNA, i want to know that which type of job i can get in call centre

Community Member

I have a client interested in the UC500 Phone System. He wants to have paging done to an external paging system (Bose audio receiver with 3 speakers and analog input). I was told this is supported through the FXS port. Is there any info you can point me to for configuration of this?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content