Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO UNIFIED COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER BUSINESS EDITION

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update with Cisco expert Arun Ragunathan on the new Unified Communications product offering for the medium sized businesses. Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is an easy-to-manage solution that combines voice, video, mobility, and messaging on a single appliance to simplify system administration and reduce hardware and operational expenses. Arun is a product manager for Cisco in the IP Communications group, where he is primarily responsible for Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Arun has worked at Cisco since 2000, holding engineering positions focusing on service provider technologies and enterprise IP phones before moving to product management. Prior to joining Cisco, he worked for MCI and Nortel and has over 10 years of experience in the telecom industry. He has a bachelor's degree in computer science from the National Institute of Technology in India and a master's degree from Keanan-Flagler Business School of the University of North Carolina.

Remember to use the rating system to let Arun know if you have received an adequate response.

Arun might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 24, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

33 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO UNIFIED COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER BUSINE

Hi Arun,

Where may i find more info about this new Cisco Coommunication Manager Busniness Edition from a Sales prespective?? In particular, how SMB will benefit over other vendors like Nortel & Avaya?

Thanks

Hi sir

i have the followng questions on CUCM6-BE:

1: regarding licensing issue in CUCM6-BE, is the The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition base packages for users or for server node and VM ports? or is it a starter license for doing basic config after installation?

2: i did not get the idea behind the add-on user licenses? when to order this add-on lic?

3: doc says that Number of remote sites =

5 (centralized call processing, with Survivable Remote Site Telephony [SRST]), what is the limitation, the number of sites or users per these sites, i mean if i have 10 sites and a total of 400 users is this possible with CUCM6-BE?

4: what about redundancy, is there a possibility somehow to add a backup/subscriber server? if not, isn't it a limitation in CUCM6-BE?

5: what about integration between CUCM6-BE and CME in a case for CME to be backup for CUCM6-BE for failover?

6: are there supported servers other than 7828 ?

sorry for the number of questions

thanks

1) CUCM6-BE base package includes 7828 server, software and the first 50 seats. Each seat includes a CUCM user and a VM box. These are permanent licenses.

In addition to the seats, CUCMBE also has 50 device license units pre-populated for initial installation and configuration. DLUs should not be confused with the 50 seats that are included in the base package. The 50 device licenses are not cumulative. They will be removed from the system when purchased device licenses are uploaded on the system.

2) The add-on user licenses are required to build out a specific configuration. For example, if the system needs to support 150 7940 IP phone users, then you need to purchase the base package (which includes 50 seats), then you need to order qty 2 of the 50 seat add-on license to build out the 150 users. You then need to purchase phones and device licenses (4DLUs per 7940 x 150 = 600DLUs).

3) CUCMBE has been tested with 1 central site and 5 remote SRST sites with a total of 500 users. There is no technical limitation on the number of sites. Please check the CUCM 6.0 SRND CUCMBE chapter for better guidance on capacity planning.

http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

4)& 5) The goal for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is to offer the reliability medium businesses need in a cost effective manner. CUCMBE has a number of attributes that contribute to the availability of the solution.

a) At the software level, CUCMBE is based on an appliance model. Just as in Unified Communications Manager Appliance, the underlying operating system services are closely managed, hardened and inaccessible. There is no provision for running 3rd party software on the appliance. The appliance environment is tightly controlled and all information exchange is via standard APIs and interfaces. With the likelihood of virus and worm infections from outside sources significantly minimized, the software is inherently stable and secure.

b) At a component level the CUCMBE server has dual cold swap SATA drives that reduce system downtime and greatly improve serviceability in case of a hard drive failure.

C) At the system level, CUCMBE supports SRST at the central/HQ site as well as the remote sites. This is a cost effective solution that has very little administration overhead.

If the application requires the highest level of availability and full call processing feature redundancy in case of the primary system failure, then many customers may choose a Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster with a redundant server as the optimal solution.

6) No. CUCMBE is currently only supported on MCS7828 appliance.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Arun,

Excellent answer here! Thanks for filling in many of the blanks with these great details :)

5 points for this one from my end. Sounds like a fine product.

Thanks again,

Rob

Silver

thanks Arun very much

indeed a great post... especially answers on Q's 4&5

here is my 5

thanks

/majdi

Hi aragunut.

Can you explain the need for 4 DLU's per 7940? Why four per 7940 and not one? Do all phones need 4 DLU's per phone?

Regards,

The number of DLUs (Device license units) required for the phones/softclients depends on the phone model. Please refer to Unified Communications Manager ordering guide for the exact number of DLUs required for each phone model.

In Unified Communications Manager 6.0, softclients - Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator - require only 1 DLU if they are provisioned as a secondary device or an adjunct device.

Cisco partners can access competitive information and other sales/marketing resources at partner central website on Cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/technology/ipc/smb.html

Question

My CCNA expired a few years ago, I took the 642-812 and passed it. Will I get credit from passing the exam? And once I am finished the CCNP track, can I go back and take the CCNA.

EJ

This is a forum specifically meant for Cisco Unified Communications manager Business Edition related questions. Please use the appropriate forum to get your query answered.

Hello Arun,

What are the migration options supported on Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

CUCMBE is targeted at greenfield customers and is intended for new installations only. Therefore, migration TO CUCMBE FROM Stand-alone Unified Communications Manager or Cisco Unity Connection environment is not supported.

We are currently working on migration FROM CUCMBE TO stand-alone Unified Communications manager environment.

Hardware: We plan to support MCS 7828 HW in a Communications Manager cluster environment in a major version release. We are working on determining the release vehicle now.

Licenses: Device licenses for phones can be migrated to Communications manager today. In addition, migration SKUs will be available in the future to migrate CUCMBE seats to Communications manager.

Data migration will be manual initially. We are trying to get this roadmapped so customers can upgrade CUCMBE to CUCM without having to manually migrate the database.

Hope this answers your question.

Arun

Bronze

Hi Arun,

Does Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition support localization?

Thanks

Yes. Here is the snippet from the datasheet that covers localization.

<>

The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition supports the following core languages for user locales, the voicemail telephone user interface, and the GUI:

? Arabic (no TTS)

? Chinese (Mandarin telephone user interface [TUI] with Simplified and Traditional GUI)

? Danish

? Dutch

? English (U.S., U.K., and Australian, but no Australian TTS)

? French (European and Canadian)

? German

? Italian

? Japanese

? Korean

? Portuguese (Brazilian)

? Russian (no TTS)

? Spanish (European and Latin American)

? Swedish

In addition to these languages Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports the following user localizations: Norwegian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Catalan, Croatian, Bulgarian, Slovak, Czechoslovakian, Slovenian, Romanian, Serbian, and Hebrew.

The following network localizations (tones and cadences) are supported: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea Republic, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe.

<>

Dear sir,

iam having 2811 router and 2611xm router i connected back to back using dce and dte cables.in 2800 router having 2 port fxo module and it was connected to pbx (icomm)and 2600 series having 2 port fxs module now i want to communicate fxo to fxs plz give me the configuration .how can i do this.i connected my analog phone to the fxs port dial tone is getting.i cinnected one more phone to fxo iam not getting dialtone plz help me in this. i want to communicate fxo to fxs and fxs to fxo.

regards

srinivas.d

This is a forum specifically meant for Cisco Unified Communications manager Business Edition related questions. Please use an appropriate forum to get your query answered.

Hi,

With regards to the model that comes with built-in FXO ports, is there a way to ensure that the classic FXO disconnect issue can be resolved, i.e Can we implement custom supervisory disconnect tones?

Thanks,

Gary

Dear barhams,

Thanks for ur update.So iam requesting u to plz give me some example of config look like.

This will be great.

Regards

srinivas.D

This is a forum specifically meant for Cisco Unified Communications manager Business Edition related questions. Please use the appropriate forum to get your query answered.

Can you explain me where to find more info on Transformation Pattern. As there is nothing really in detail about "when use it" or "what is design for"

Thanks

Please refer to the "Dial Plan" chapter of the SRND for more details on transformation patterns.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a008085f6ba.html

Hi, we successfully linked Morocco, but had a problem video and audio from Morocco. They could hear and see us perfectly. The link was through the ADSL link without going through a firewall. What could be the problem.

Hi Sir,

I need to find out what s the series which i am going to use under this Core Switch Requirements Connectivity

M1. Each slot must be capable of supporting any type of available line card in with no restrictions on configuration and turned on features.

M2. Each core switch must have a fully passive non blocking minimum backplane capacity of over 700 Gbps and Forwarding capacity exceeding 300Mpps to allow for future growth/expansion of the platform.

M3. The core switch will be required to support a day one requirement of:

1 x 24 10Gigabit Ethernet (GE) ports (optional)

2 x 48 10/100/1000BaseT ports

M4. The core switch will be required to support further expansion, without doing upgrade to major hardware components.

M5. The core switch must be capable of bandwidth aggregation across the 10GE links between the two core switches.

M6. 10GE ports must support pluggable XFP optics.

M7. 1GE ports must support pluggable SFP optics.

hi, A small question here.

What kind of issue a customer should expect if running out of sync between database (I guess you can answer all ccm6 release question).

I trying to find out, how can I provide my first level support to identify a syncronization problems between database that will require a "re-sync" or "reset" of database connection.

As the subscriber are now reading there local DB.

Thanks

In CUCM 6.0, most services read data locally instead of the publisher i.e. read from Communications manager node that phone is registered to. For user facing features like Extension Mobility, Call Forward All etc last update wins.

Small request here, can you tell me where to info more information about what is possible with "run xml" command.

I'm looking a way to speed up the configuration of the ccm 5.1 and 6.0

Thanks

Please refer to the operate and maintenance guides for CUCM 6.0 posted in the following location.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

Views
Helpful
Replies