Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- CISCO UNITY WITH OCTELNET

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Cisco Unity with Octelnet with Cisco expert Keith Chambers. Keith is a Technical Lead in the TAC at Cisco. He focuses primarily on providing technical input during the design stage of feature development for the Cisco Unity product. Feel free to post any questions relating to Cisco Unity with Octelnet.

Keith may not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 10. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

14 REPLIES
dan

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- CISCO UNITY WITH OCTELNET

What is the difference between AMIS and OctelNet?

Gold

The Audio Messaging Interchange Specification (AMIS) protocol is a standard’s based analog messaging protocol used only to transfer voice messages between voice mail systems. The AMIS protocol is widely implemented across many voice mail manufactures due to the standards based nature of the protocol as opposed to the proprietary nature of the Octel Analog Networking (OctelNet) protocol.

AMIS does, however, draw vague comparisons to the Octel Analog Networking through the use of standard phone lines, DTMF command and signaling and the ability to transfer voice mail messages. Most comparisons end there as AMIS lacks many of the features that Octel Analog Networking provides.

Octel Analog Networking adds the following:

Message Privacy

Message privacy allows a subscriber to mark a message as private. A message recipient cannot forward a message that has been marked as private to another subscriber.

Message Urgency

Message urgency allows a subscriber to mark a message as urgent. If a subscriber receives an urgent message, that message will be played before any other messages in their mailbox. Additionally, the system administrator can schedule message delivery for urgent messages different than messages with normal priority.

Message Delivery Turnaround

After a node has completed transmitting messages it can switch its role from transmitting to receiving if configured to do so. This feature allows for messages to be transferred bi-directionally on the same phone call.

NOTE: The Cisco implementation of Octel Analog Networking will not request delivery turnaround after a node delivers a message to it. The feature has been permanently disabled. If transmitting to a node that does supports turnaround, it will switch roles and begin receiving upon request however.

Message Multicasting

Message multicasting allows for a message to be transmitted once between nodes and then copied to all subscriber mailboxes. If a message is sent from a subscriber on node A to five subscribers on node B, the message is only transmitted one time. Node A will communicate to node B the five subscribers that need to receive the message through the encrypted DTMF communication. Each of the five subscribers on node B will receive a copy of the message in their mailbox.

FAX Messaging

Fax messaging allows for subscribers on different nodes to forward FAX messages between them. Once the FAX message is received the receiving subscriber can choose a FAX machine to send the message to for printing or can forward it to another network subscriber.

NameNet

In addition to providing message transport capabilities, Octel Analog Networking provides a feature called NameNet. Each Octel node has a permanent subscriber directory. NameNet allows for nodes connected via Octel Analog Networking to share their subscriber directory between each other. By sharing the subscriber directory, node subscribers can address messages by recipient name and get recorded name confirmation rather than addressing blindly by location and extension only.

Would there possibly be a way to get Unity to work in conjunction with my existing voicemail system instead of replace it? (The mfg. is Vodavi and the make is an Infinite DVXplus) I would like to roll this out but for internal company reasons for the immediate future I have to have Unity only have copies of messages and make them available through Outlook but not be the main voicemail system.

Gold

Based on the information provide Unity would not be able to work in this configuration. There is no way for Unity to sync messages with another voicemail provider.

1.Does the Unity implementation of Octelnet include both analog and digital networking, or only Analog?

2. Does the Unity implementation of Octelnet require node identifiers to be dialed prior to the mailbox number (as Unity's AMIS-A implmentation does), or will it allow for the Octel method of allowing the subscriber to simply enter the user's telephone number and Unity routes the message to the appropriate location based on the node addresses?

3. Based on the answer to #3 above, should blind addressing still operate in the same fashion as AMIS, and a user would have to enter in each Octelnet subscriber as a "octelnet mailbox" to avoid using prefix digits. Would this use up a mailbox license similar to how AMIS treats its AMIS-only subscribers? Why does this eat up a license under AMIS for mailboxes that aren't on the Unity system--they are only contacts in MSExchange? This has been a complaint from my customers.

4. Does the Unity implmentation of Octelnet require a 250/350, or will it work with the 100, 200/300 line of servers? What software levels will TAC require as minimums on the Octel (platform specific, please).

5. On the Octel networking configuration screen, what do you use for the Unity system serial number? Is there a way to ensure this doesn't conflict with existing serial numbers? The documentation is there for installing the bridge, but the documentation on CCO is sketchy on providing details for planning the interconnection of the systems.

6. Are there plans to connect to Intuity Interchage in the near future via digital networking?

Gold

1. The Bridge only supports analog OctelNet.

2. When the NameNet users are built in Unity they get an extension number which is derived from the Dial ID + Octel mailbox DN. If the user is learned through NameNet and the Dial ID for the delivery location that the user belongs to is 206256 and the Octel mailbox DN is 2000 then they will be created with the mailbox DN 2062562000 in Unity. An administrator can design the dial IDs so that they match the users 10 digit phone number when they are created. Unity would allow a subscriber to address a message to just 2000 like an Octel could if you when in and manually edited the DN in Unity.

3. You can still blind address with OctelNet if you like. You can also do spell-by-name. OctelNet subscribers do not consume a license.

4. The 100, 200, 250, 300, 350 and Unified Messenger are all supported. No specific revision of code is required.

5. The serial number can be picked by the system administrator/installer. There is no way to ensure that the number is unique. I suggest checking an existing Octel node for a list of serial numbers that are in use.

6. I can't comment on future features.

What caller id information is passed back to Unity when voicemail is left for a subscriber by another Octel node?

Gold

The Bridge doesn't pay attention to caller ID information about the incoming call. It does receive information about the originating mailbox and which node it is associated with through the OctelNet protocol. This information is then presented to the user and the user is able to reply to the message.

Would the Unity subscriber, using VMO, see something similar to [OCTELNET:256876] in the From column of the sender's voicemail? Thank you for the additional clarification.

Gold

It will show from 'Location_Extension'. For example, if the sender is associated with location ID 200 and the sender extension is 8000 the message would show from '200_8000'.

OK. If I can't really get Unity to work with another voicemail system is there a way to have, say, all my IP phones that come in on a callmanager to use the Unity VM only even though my CallManager is working with my existing PBX but only to connect my IP phones to the PBX and nothing more. I will have my regular digital phones use the existing voicemail.

Gold

Yes. If you have a trunk connecting your CallManager and legacy switch together you can integrate the CallManager with Unity to provide voicemail to your IP phone users.

Issue 1: Cisco does not recommend deletion of the default Example Administrator account. Are we not all running a big risk leaving a standard default account out there?

How far can we disable this account so some one cannot get into the system with this?

Issue 2: When I add a user from Unity, I fill out the username, extension and account alias. This information is put into Microsoft’s AD. When you integrate Call Manager with AD, it uses the Telephone number field for the directory number. Unity is not populating this field with the extension number causing me to have to go into the Microsoft AD users utility and add the extension in the telephone number field. Only then does the extension number show up in the directory on the phone. Is there a way to get Unity to update this field?

Gold

These questions don’t pertain to OctelNet but I am happy to answer them for you. Normally you want to post these on the Unity forum which is available at http://avforums.isomedia.com. We do plan on moving the Unity forum in-house shortly.

Issue 1:

Check out this post on the Unity forum. http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=Unity3x&Number=8034&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post8034

Issue 2:

Unity writes the extension data to fields that we add to the schema. The fields are not exposed through any of the standard Microsoft GUIs. We don't allow for a way to change where Unity writes this data.

Views
Helpful
Replies