Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK THE EXPERT- CISCOWORKS 2000 NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss CiscoWorks 2000 with Cisco expert David Stiff. David is the Manager of Technical Marketing for Enterprise Network Management. He leads a team that focuses on network management products for campus, WANs, security, QoS, content, and wireless. Feel free to post any questions relating to CiscoWorks 2000.

David may not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 15. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

124 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- CISCOWORKS 2000 NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Hi,David.I had installed ciscoworks2k including CD-ONE 4th,CM,RME,CV,DFM.When I use it in client browser,the server force me to install java plug-in 1.3 version,after reboot the client,and access the server,it force me again and again.So,I reject,and download the newest JRE from java.sun.com.The problem had been solved.Why?

qhu

pls install the latest java 2 runtime environment before you using the browser, also enable the java console .

qhu

Also , make sure your JAVA VM is the latest version

Tim,

Have you installed the CD-One fourth edition Patch 1? It sounds like the problem you are seeing is resolved by this patch. See my clipping from the notes below. Follow the URL to get to the patch download site.

- David

It is MANDATORY that all customers running CD One, 4th edition, install Patch 1 containing the Java plug-in 1.3.1 before January 6, 2002. Please refer to the README for all details concerning this patch.

For customers using nGenius Real-Time Monitor (RTM) 1.2, please order the RTM 1.3 Update Kit. The update kit (CWRTM-1.3-UPT) includes RTM 1.3 and the CD One, 4th Edition Java patches. RTM 1.2 is not compatible with these patch updates and will not be supported by Cisco TAC.

It is also MANDATORY that customers running Solaris servers run the script (modify-package.sh) before installing the CD One, 4th Edition Patch 1. This is to fix the problem (CSCdv71376: patch install fails due to package verification errors). If an attempt was made to install the patch which resulted in a failure of the installation, please first run the script and then re-install the patch.

Patches on CCO: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one (CCO login is required)

-- clip from patch readme --

The CD One, 4th Edition patch contains the Java Plug-in 1.3.1. It fixes a bug in java Plug-in 1.3.0 that will cause certain functions of CiscoWorks2000, such as telnet, print, save, and save as, to fail when run from a browser. This occurs after the certification expires on Jan 6, 2002.

Symptoms include seeing a Security Warning message, which is harmless and will not affect functionality. If you see this message, click Yes to proceed.

Hi,david,I had installed CW2K server,and when I opened "Device Manager",click "Cisco View" button,a error message present "Please grant permission to lanch ciscoview,Quit the browser and try again",what's happend? And how can I do?

This appears to be a problem that is resolved by a patch that fixes a certificate expiration issue.

If you are running a product using CD-One edition 4 please update to Patch 1 available at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one.

If you are using CiscoWorks Windows 6.0 please apply the patch from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cww60

Hope this helps!

- David

Hi David,

I hv tried with the download, but cant download the same.My cco login does not hv permission to download the pathc.

cco : login is rajankumaresan....

pls grant the permission or mail me the patch to tkrajan@postmark.net

Could you pls send me the cww60cerPatch.exe file.I could not download from the web.

You should be able to get it from CCO at: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cww60

You need a CCO login. I am checking to see if the software is posted somewhere you don't need CCO access. If I can't find this I'll email you a copy (approx 2 MB)

Hi ,

The problem is with expiration of Java certificate. This is a bug in Java Plug-in 1.3.0 so you need to install Java Plug-in 1.3.1 at least.

Regards

Tsvetan Bratinov

Hello David,

I have installed CW2000, java patch, RME, CM and DFM on PC with Pentium 4, NT 4 SP6a and 750Mb.

When I use Topology Services from Campus Manager 3.1 menu, Display view the view appears empty, also summaries are empty.

Sometimes when I restart the server and open display view all is correct. After some minutes all summaries and views are empty again.Why this?

Thanks.

Andrea.

Andrea,

Sorry for the delay. I'm checking to see if these symptoms are from a well know issue. I should be able to get back to you tomorrow.

- David

Andrea,

I wish I had a quick answer for you. After some checking on this there are to many variables to look at for a quick resolution using a forum like this. Please open up a case with TAC for resolution.

You can get the phone and email contact for TAC at:

http://www.cisco.com/public/support/tac/contact.shtml

- David

David, I have a question on the User Registration Tool in Ciscoworks. We'd like to deploy dynamic vlans in each office. Our primary objective is to restrict the dhcp server from handing out IPs to just anyone plugging into the network. With a VMPS keeping a database of allowed mac addresses, we would be mitigating this risk. Would the User Registration tool work in this regard, and do I have to purchase 50+ licenses of the User registration tool, (one for each office?)

Yes, the User Registration Tool (URT) would work for what you are asking. It provides 3 key features:

1 - MAC address authorization. Known MAC Addrs get placed into specified VLANs, unknown MAC Addrs get placed into a fallback VLAN. The fallback VLAN can be a non-routed/no services(dhcp, dns) segment or you can use it for basic internet access using ACLs, etc.

2 - Login name authorization. Users login to a 'login' VLAN. Registered 2000/NT/Novell users will be automatically moved to a specified VLAN and release/renew DHCP info. Non registered users will be stuck in the login VLAN.

3 - Offloads the VMPS server processing and logging to a network appliance called the VPS Server.

URT is not sold by number of seats. One license allows you to use up to design max of the tool. CWURT-2.0 retail lists for $24,995 US. URT 2.0.6 supports up to 100,000 switch ports per deployment and each VPS server can handle up to 5,000 switch ports. There are some important design considerations to make as to where you place the VPS servers. Main issues are around WAN links and login volumes.

We are finishing up a deployment guide that should help you out. Let me know if you want to see an advanced copy.

You can get more info and a product training tutorial from your web site at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/urto/prodlit/index.shtml

- David

Thank you for the response, Dave. Yes, I would like to see an advanced copy of the deployment guide.

Thanks, Rick

Anonymous
N/A

Hi David,

We are just about to deploy URT at our campus, I have found the documentation to be a bit confusing as most of it was published when URT was part of cisco works, not for the VPS server.

Would it be possible to send me a copy of the deployment guide that you mention.

thanks colin, my address is c.byelong@ucl.ac.uk

Hi !

When you are a big enterprise with lots of system. You try to automate most of the daily production.

When we use the CW2000 RME/CM, the plans are to add new objects from our inventory system automaticallyt to RME through the crmimport cli tool.

If we want to delete objects that aren't used anymore in RME! Are there some other cli tools except the GUI to delete objects from the database ?

undocumented features etc...

Regards Jorgen

Jorgen,

Unfortunately you can only use the GUI to delete devices from RME. There is an enhancement request in for this but I haven't heard any committed dates on when a feature like this will be available. Sorry about that. I will remind the product development team at next weeks meeting there are users who really want this feature.

- David

What software can I use to monitor the ISDN dialing number, dialing reason and duration? Using syslog or there are some kind of MIB I can monitor?

I can recommend that you buy "Performance and Fault Management" from Cisco Press (ISBN 1-57870-180-5).

In chapter 17 you'll find all you need.

Best regards,

Michael.

The CiscoWorks product line doesn't have an specific tools for monitoring this ISDN specific information. You will probably need to create something that looks at syslog messages and monitors the MIB. Here are some ideas from my colleagues:

As mentioned above, the "Performance and Fault Management" book from the Cisco Press has some good ideas.

What we did when I was at XXX was to use a perl script to search for down status on ISDN from the raw syslogs and compile a report for operations to follow up.

We at XXX implemented this using the isdn mib

information for billing.

There are a number of mibs related to this, but I think that the call history mib has what this customer is asking for:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-CALL-HISTORY-MIB.my

I hope you find this info helpful

- David

Hi,

When will CiscoWorks2000 be available for Solaris 2.8?

I ask because I want to buy a SunFire 280R to run CW2K (much better performance than a E420R for the same money) but the SunFire is SPARC III based and will only run on Solaris 2.8 and up.

Cisco are a Sun "partner" so surely you must plan to support Solaris 8 soon? What is the hold up?

Thanks.

Dave Haywood.

There are some inofficial support for the 2.8. Tac have some text describing what patches etc. you need to apply before installing CW2000 on 2.8.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a URL for the TAC page with the information you describe?

Thanks,

Dave Haywood.

CiscoWorks2000 currently 'unoficially' supports Solaris 2.8 with the lasest versions. You need to contact TAC to get assistance for the install. (TAC will help with some installation issues as well as 32 vs 64 bit OS support)

Solaris 2.8 (and 2.7) will be supported in the next release with LMS 2.1 and RWAN 1.2 planned for Spring 2002.

- David

Hi Davide,

I have the following questions.

1. For IPM, after enabling the SNMP trap at Operations, how to use DFM to receive the trap

2. How to configure DFM to send email alert when a router is shutdown or its interface is down?

Thank you.

1) DFM is not intended as a general trap receiver and will not act on the SNMP traps IPM configures on the routers. For this you should look at using a general purpose trap receiver. You can have DFM generically forward traps for processing by another system.

2) You first need to configure the mail notifier and then turn it on. To configure the DFM Mail Notifier Adapter, edit the mail_notify.conf file which is located in the $NMSROOT/objects/smarts/conf/notifier directory. You can specify what events you want to see.

In the following example, the Mail Notifier Adapter will report all Operational Exception aggregates (compound events) that occur on any router managed by DFM:

SubscribesTo =

{

GA_ChoiceSubscription::Mail-All-Subscriptions

{

# Subscribe to events whose class, instance, and event

# names match the given pattern.

className = "Router"

instanceName = ".*"

eventName = "OperationalException"

aggregates = TRUE

symptoms = FALSE

}

}

In this case, the Operational exception will be: loss of device connectivity, port oper down, port flapping, port backup activated, or port backup max uptime exceeded.

Once you have the file setup correctly, you then need to start the mailnotifer process. See the docs for how to do this as well as make it automatically start is the system is rebooted.

There is quite a bit of detail you can configure with the adapters. The documentation chapter on "Using DFM Adapters" will describe it further:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm1_1/u_g/adapter.htm#xtocid58050

If this isn't clear send me you email address and I can forward you our internal training doc that provides a fairly step by step approach. With this and the documentation you should be able to figure it out.

- David

Thanks David,

I would like to have the internal training doc, would you please send it to

gapming@hongkong.com

One more question is that after I enable SNMP trap at the action event type in IPM, I can't use DFM to receive those traps? is that true?

Thank you very much.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content