Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- E-911

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss E-911 with Cisco expert Dan Keller. Dan has been a Technical Lead for the San Jose TAC at Cisco for the past two years. His expertise is in the Cisco AVVID Architecture with a focus on Cisco CallManager and IOS voice-enabled gateways. Feel free to post any questions relating to E-911.

Dan may not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 29. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

14 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- E-911

What is E-911 and why might I need to use it?

Cisco Employee

In a nutshell, E911 specifies the ability for a PBX to provide detailed zone information on the location of an emergecny caller to the local Public Safety Answer Point (PSAP). E911 also dicates that the PSAP operator be able to return a call to the calling party that is in emergency if further information is required.

For IP telephony solutions, this becomes especially challenging when due to the fact that a phone device can move from location to location with out any system administration. The Cisco Emergency Responder provides automatic tracking of phone devices across your network and still ensure proper routing of emergency calls to the correct PSAP...and callback from the PSAP operator.

For more information on Cisco Emergency Responder, please see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/erv.htm.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Where can I find a comprehensive document on integrating my VoIP network with my Video 3510 MCU network? I have a 3510 MCU with integrated gatekeeper, as well as a IOS based Gatekeeper on a 3640 router. I have a 2 CM cluster running 3.12 and wish to have my 7960 phones call into my Video Conferences allowing those outer sites without Video capabilities to participate via audio on our daily staff Conferences as needed.

Thanks

Mac

Cisco Employee

Mac, I will not be able to answer this question for you. This question should be posted to the video over IP forum.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Dan,

Please give a brief explanation of CER and include minimum server requirements, whether it is supported on 3rd party hardware, and how difficult it is to implement.

Thanks,

Mike Heinz

Cisco Employee

Cisco Emergency Responder is an application that will track calls made to 911 and route the call to the PSTN (or onsite personel). CER also allows for the tracking of phones as they move within your network.

The CER has been certified on MCS7835-1000 and MCS7825-800 servers and later (1133 and 1266). At this time, we do not support 3rd party switches due to the discovery mechanism (CDP) and inconsistent VLAN Implementation.

As for difficulty to implement...it really depends on your network and topology. The complexity of installation depends on how large or small you want your emergency zones to be and how many zones you want. Also, if you have multiple buildings in your campus, you may have different Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP). You will need to talk with your local phone company about proper call routing.

Within CallManager, the Cisco Emergency Responder will require Calling Search Spaces and Partitions as well as router patterns and translation patterns to get calls routed properly. The implementation will be easy if the Planning and Design is done effectively.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

WHY

Cisco Employee

Your question is too vague for me to provide you a meaningful answer. If you narrow the scope of the question I can answer any question you may have. If you are looking for E911 or Cisco Emergency Responder overview, please check out http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/erv.htm

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Does this service need to run on it's own server, or does it run on the CallManager server? What is the list price for this?

Cisco Employee

Yes, the CER servers must be installed on stand alone servers. This ensures that both CM (or Apps or MOH server) the CER have sufficent CPU and memory to run effectively.

To obtain current pricing for Cisco Emergency Responder, please use the CCO pricing tool at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/order/pricing_root.pl?service=SearchProduct

The Product numbers are:

First 100 users: SW-ER1.1-SVR

Additional users: SW-KEY-ER1.1-USER=

Thanks,

Dan Keller

We see a few problems with implementing CER on our site. Perhaps you can offer advice...

We have only one PSAP, but several buildings, and no information mapping switch ports to room numbers. Also, technicians occasionally exchange cables, ie the patching to switch ports can be dynamic. Is there any automatic way of populating a switch port to room number mapping? Is there any automatic update when a patch cable is swapped?

If our users use call park or group pickup, or other follow-me line appearances, does CER track that appropriately?

Thanks!

Cisco Employee

If you're asking if the CER product can intelligently find the zone the a cable plugged in terminates into, the answer is no, the administrator must perform this task. The idea behind the CER server is that the terminating jack from a switch through your network is static (very limited in movement). There is no way for CER to automatically determine that the cable connected to a port has changed endpoint locations. To the switch, it's just a RJ connection.

The CER server/administrator places 'zone' significance on the switch port. So if you change the termination point of a switch port, the CER server will need to be updated with the new termination 'zone'.

Now when phones connect into the network, the switch port termination has an assigned zone, so if the phone moves from one jack to another, you can accurately track which zone the phone is in by the switch port the phone is connected to.

If you do not alreay have a mapping of ports to endpoints, that will be an initial requirement before installing CER. Once the port mapping has been tackled, the easiest way to maintain your CER server is to use the import/export functions for the switch ports. When the technicians move ports, they will need to mark the new zone termination for the port. Then the CER administrator can modify the CSV for that switch port, import the changes and you have the new mapping. There will be no PSAP update since the 'zone' has not change, only the port that resides in that zone.

Also, CER does accurately track extension mobility users and softphone users. Call pickup and group call pick up are unaffected by the CER product.

Thanks,

Dan K.

Is CER have ability to handle emergency numbers that is not USA specific, and to support other emergency call arhitectures of different countries?

Cisco Employee

The offical answer is no, CER does not support coutries that do not use the NANP. The CER server has only been certified for US dial plan. Part of the reason is because the customer location export (ALI) information is extracted in the 3 US approved formats (NENA 2.0.2.1 and 3.0).

The CER server allows the definition of any emergency number to intercept and associate with an emergency zone, but no testing has been performed on a non-NANP configuration at this time.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Views
Helpful
Replies