Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- GATEWAY AND GATEKEEPER: H323 (VOIP, VOFR), ITS/SRST AND TCL

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Gateway and Gatekeeper: H323 (VOIP, VOFR), ITS/SRST and TCL IVR with Cisco expert Taimoor Husain. Taimoor is a Senior Engineer of the Multiservice group in Technical Assistance Center (TAC). He supports Voice related technologies, including session protocols such as SIP, H323, MGCP and troubleshoots networks running VOIP/VOFR/VOATM and also does a great deal of work with ITS (Telephony service) and SRST. Feel free to post any questions relating to Gateway and Gatekeeper: H323 (VOIP, VOFR), ITS/SRST and TCL IVR. Remember to use the rating system to let Taimoor know if you’ve received an adequate response.

Taimoor might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 9. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

• Expert Corner
93 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- GATEWAY AND GATEKEEPER: H323 (VOIP, VOFR), I

translation-rule: Is there any way to use wildcars in a translation-rule; ie change 56XX00 to 00

Second question is there any SNMP OID to identify translation rules

Silver

Sure you can : You can use the older translations rule,

translation-rule

rule 1 56..00 00

And Apply that to the dial peer. However mind you that only works for OUTBOUND calls.

You could use the enhanced translation rules introduced in 12.2.11T :

voice translation-rule

rule 1 /56..00/ /00/

You have to make a translation profile and apply that profile to a dial peer.

Here is some more info on these rules :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00800b5dbf.html#1038651

As far as the SNMP OID's, im not quite sure but i doubt that there are any.

Thanks.

This translation rule must be in the GW rigth?

Is a way to do the expansion or translation in the GK ?

Silver

Yes the translation rule must be in the gateway. Currently there is no way to modify the e164 on the gatekeeper.

We are planning on upgrading our 3662 gateways from 12.1(3a)XI5 to 12.2(11)T6 in order to support modem and fax relay. We have reliability problems where modems don't work at all on our VoIP infrastructure and fax over ip is only about 99% reliable. 12.2(11)T supports modem and fax relay. My question is can you set both relay types up for the same dial-peer or, if not, which one is best to use.

Thanks,

Vince

Silver

Depending on your network, you can use either fax passthrough, or fax relay. If you have all cisco devices in your entwork, except the fax machines, you should try relay. Same goes for modems. Once youi decide which path to choose, then you can set up your dial peers for either passthrough or relay.

Overall, I think the upgrade will be a good idea, as the IOS you are running is pretty old, and 12.2.11T6 will definitely improve lots.

If you still have trouble with the modems, I suggest you open a case with TAC and help you configure/troubleshoot it.

Be careful to test 12.2(11)T and above before putting it into production...

I have just gone thru a really bad 4 weeks with IOS upgrades and TAC cases...

I have 5300's currently at 12.2(10)b and when i upgraded to anything above 12.2(11) T train or not... I broke interoperability with several of my customers,

some with standard Cisco gear and configs and some with 3-rd party SoftSwitches.... I have had no resulution from TAC or DE's and have had to go back to IOS releases older then 12.2(11) ...

I am told that the H323 stack was changed around 12.2(8) - 12.2(11) and it breaks interoperability with older Cisco IOS loads and 3-rd party GW's.

Silver

You are right the H323 stack did change. In 12.2.8T we started using H323 version 4. Now there are a few tricks to H323 version backwards compatibility that you could try.

Try implementing what this link says :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_problem_troubleshooting09186a00800c5e33.shtml

If the softswitches or other devices do not understand the t38 asn1 fields then that could definitely break it.

Its worth a shot.

humm i cannot get to this URL either.... it says I need a Cisco.com login,

yet I am logged into CCO and this forum....

is there a 3rd login I need?

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.