Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK THE EXPERT- INFO CENTER

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Info Center with Cisco expert John Gaudin. John is a product manager within Intelligent Network Services Management Business Unit and responsible for OSS fault management. Feel free to post any questions relating to Info Center.

John might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 2. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

19 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- INFO CENTER

Hi,John,

I Have a Cisco 3640 router with IOS version 12.0(7)T,I config it with fram-relay

and one-step tunnel ppp over x.25, in the above IOS version,It can work

correctly but always reload,So I upgrade the IOS version to 12.2,of cause I increase the flash and DRAM,but the remote user can't communication to the Center well,when the remote user increae the traffic a little,they found they lost the communication to the center,I don't know why? I changed several 12.2 IOS

version ,all is the same,I change it back to 12.0 or 12.1,It's Ok,But always Reload,Is it a IOS BUG? I don't know how to silve it,Plese help me! THANKS!

Community Member

This question appears to be more focused on IOS and not my area of expertise. I recommend reposting this question under the "Network Infrastructure" forum.

Community Member

How is Cisco Info Center typically installed in large service provider or enterprise networks that warrant several regional NOCs and a global NOC?

Community Member

This type of architecture is quite common in large enterprise and service provider accounts. Cisco Info Center (CIC) supports a distributed architecture. The different modules of CIC may be distributed as needed, in an almost infinite number of ways.

CIC Info Servers may be connected in a peer-to-peer fashion, or in a hierarchical fashion. Software components called CIC Info Gateways connect CIC Info Servers. Filters can be easily applied to limit the events that pass through the CIC Info Gateways based on characteristics of the event. All connections between the different modules are TCP socket connections for reliable message transport.

For example, a hierarchical architecture could use one primary CIC Info Server and fail-over CIC Info Server with a set of CIC Info Mediators for each region. The regional NOC would have regional Info Desktops that connect to the regional Info Server and show the events for that region. Info Gateways could pass certain i.e. critical (red) events to the global Info Server located at the global NOC, or all events could be passed to the global NOC. This deployment scales to n regional NOCs, and n tiers of NOCs.

A peer-to-peer architecture may be used with the same regional NOCs for "follow the sun" tracking of events. The Info Gateways would pass events across to the next region in line. The current region would manage the event until it was passed on to the next region or resolved. The peer NOCs could also forward all events via a CIC Info Gateway for tracking in a global NOC.

Cisco Info Center (CIC) is not only an aggregator of event information from multiple sources and regions, but also provides links to other OSS applications and support systems. Information from within CIC can be shared with other help desk systems via a CIC Info Gateway.

The most common example is integrating the CIC Info Server with a trouble ticket system such as Clarify or Remedy. Events captured by the CIC Info Server may be easily passed to a trouble ticket system of your choice. Because this CIC Info Gateway is bi-directional, updates to the event update the trouble ticket journal, and updates to the trouble ticket journal are updated in the CIC Info Server, keeping both systems synchronized.

There are many real World examples of CIC deployments with different NOC arrangements: hierarchical, or peer-to-peer. This simple integration with other 3rd party and Cisco OSS applications enables you to quickly deploy and expand CIC usage within your organization and capitalize on the flexibility offered to meet your preferred deployment scenario.

Community Member

Hi

Can you tell me when Cisco expect to support BGP for the Cisco 3550 series?

Community Member

This question is not in my area of expertise. My expertise is in network/fault management and business assurance from a fault perspective, using Cisco Info Center (CIC), a suite of products that work together to ensure network productivity.

Perhaps you should repost your question on the Network Infrastructure forum at www.cisco.com/discuss/infrastructure Since this question is not my area of expertise.

Community Member

How do I generate a server code for Cisco Info Center?

Community Member

There are different types of licenses available for Cisco Info Center:

Temporary- issued free of charge for limited time (usually 30 days) for the roll-out and completion of a Proof-of-Concept (POC) or testing.

Cisco Internal- issued free of charge for Cisco internal use only for limited time (usually 6 months) for the roll-out and support of a lab or demonstration environment

Permanent- issued once the product has shipped to the customer and payment has been received. This is for full-time production use for the lifetime of the application.

In order to generate a server key, CIC must first be installed. Then execute the following command: $OMNIBUS/nco_license, the default path for $OMNIBUS is /opt/Omnibus

Answer the questions and select the appropriate components.

Community Member

Newbie here , Please HELP !!!!:

I am studying CCNA but I am still very confused on some topics : for example is DTE/DCE an architecture , a setting or what else in other words : how do you recognise a DCE devise from a DTE devise ? also I am still confused about AUI ports , and CSU/DSU ............

Usually in the books they show two Cisco routers connected without explaning what kind of connection and what cable is used , can you please tell me the different ways to connect two routers and which way is the most common ?

Community Member

please any reply I need your help.....

Community Member

This question is not in my area of expertise. My expertise is in network/fault management and business assurance from a fault perspective, using Cisco Info Center (CIC), a suite of products that work together to ensure network productivity.

Perhaps you should repost your question on the Network Infrastructure forum at www.cisco.com/discuss/infrastructure Since this question is not my area of expertise.

Silver

Is CIC the same as Micromuse Netcool/Omnibus?

Community Member

Yes.

Community Member

Cisco Info Center (CIC) is not exactly the same as Micromuse Netcool. CIC is an OEM/JDP of Netcool and a superset. By taking the core Netcool product and enhancing it with Cisco specific value-add, CIC benefits from the expertise of the Micromuse engineering team for core development and the expertise of the Cisco engineering team for device, EMS, and domain integration with Cisco products. This enables a mixed network comprised of Cisco devices to realize a more rapid deployment of Cisco Info Center, because the Cisco support is inherent in CIC with the remaining effort going towards support of non-Cisco products.

Community Member

Cisco Info Center (CIC) is a JDP of the Micromuse Netcool suite of products. JDP stands for Joint Development Partnership, and is the higher evolution of an OEM arrangement. Instead of simply OEM'ing the Micromuse Netcool suite, Cisco works closely with the Micromuse team to jointly develop value to the core product, before branding and packaging it as Cisco. This joint effort ensure a higher quality product from Cisco.

Community Member

Can you help me understand what Cisco Info Center is?

Community Member

Cisco Info Center, more commonly known as CIC, is a suite of applications that provide fault management, SLA management, and business assurance for service providers and large enterprises. Cisco Info Center enables network operators to have an end-to-end view of the network from a single console, department heads a portal view into the status of different silos being managed, and a CIO dashboard view of the overall state of the network and the services running on the network.

At the center of CIC is the Info Server- a high-speed, memory resident database optimized for high rates of inserts, updates, and deletes. With features such as de-duplication and simple correlation, the Info Server is able to not only collect and display network events, but also reduce the amount of events and remove data overload allowing the NOC to operate more efficiently.

The CIC suite includes add-on modules that integrate into the Info Server and enhance the event information. These add-on modules are designed to answer key questions when managing a network and/or business such as:

Reporter- how did we do?

Impact- what else does this fault impact?

xSM- are the services still running?

Visionary- what is the cause of the fault?

Precision- where is the fault?

Security- has there been a breach?

Webtop- what is the current state of the network?

Cisco Info Center also offers a "pay as you grow" model that allows a small entry point for network management. As the network and business grows, you then purchase what you need from CIC, when you need it. This makes Cisco Info Center the high-end solution at a low cost.

awo
Community Member

Could you provide some example where invetition in using CIC helps a lot for customers netmgmt ? I'm asking becuse there is small amount information how exaclty CIC works and how to use that. We can read some marketing spam but there is limited access to detailed Case Studies or maybe some NFR release with somple deployment ? ie with Video or screenshots ? Maybe some Lotus ScreanCam files ?

I still fell thaht i'm not sure that i know all i need about this product..

Maybe you may share with me with some more detailed infos ?

TIA 8-)

Community Member

I can work on posting some case studies and deployment scenarios, but gaining permission to post these external is a bit of challenge. We do have some case study overviews that are in the final stages of editing and will be published for external consumption.

To summarize what Cisco Info Center (CIC) does and how it does it is not difficult. CIC is an event management system. The core module the CIC Info Server is a high-speed in-memory database that stores collected events with a desktop interface that enables the user to partition the view of events in many different ways called filters and create unique displays of the filtered events called views.

CIC Info Mediators are event collectors. There are over 300 Info Mediators that can collect events from a variety of sources, such as SNMP, TL1, or any log file. The Info Mediators consist of the following 4 layers or processes:

event collection- the ability to listen to a protocol or understand and tail a well defined message format.

event parsing- converting an event string into tokens i.e. $1 = 10.0.0.1, $2 = "critical", $3 = "Interface 1/0 is down", etc.

rules file processing- a simple to use rules language that maps the tokens to database fields in the Info Server i.e. $1=@IPaddress, $2=@Severity, $3=@Summary, etc.

database connectivity- inserts the mapped values into the Info Server

There are then various add-on modules that further expand the functionality of CIC by further enriching the event information, or communicating with other databases to execute policies against this data, to automatically opening trouble-tickets and escalation paths.

Cisco Info Center is a stable product with a long history and large customer base. Keep an eye out for the before mentioned case studies to come public in the near future, and I will work with the CIC team on more detailed case studies for posting. There is also a flash project underway that will address your request for cam screenshots.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content