Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- MPLS OPERATIONS,MANAGEMENT AND VPN SERVICES

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Operations and Management (OAM) and VPN Services with Monique Morrow. Monique is a Consulting Engineer at Cisco Systems, Inc. She has 20 years experience in IP internetworking that includes design, implementation of complex customer projects and service development for service providers. Monique has been involved in developing managed Network Services like Remote Access and LAN Switching in a Service Provider environment. Monique has worked for both enterprise and service provider companies in the United States and in Europe. Monique led the Engineering Project team for one of the first European MPLS-VPN deployments in 1999 for a European service provider. Remember to use the rating system to let Monique know if you have received an adequate response. If you would like to review a Tech Talk on this topic, please register or sign in by going to http://www.cisco.com/go/seminars and enter S2124 in the Express Priority Registration field; click on GO.

Monique might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 9. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

23 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- MPLS OPERATIONS,MANAGEMENT AND VPN SERVICES

Hi

I am sukrut and I would like to ask you one question regarding MPLS switching and it is related to MLP-RP.

Actually we have cisco 3600 serires router and all client(Local) are accessing web based application from server who has Public IP and I would like to implement MPLS switch to avoide router's role from Local LAN because users are accessing the application 80% of their time because it is a ERP application.

In present scenario every local user is accessing ERP application via router so I would like to stop it ASAP and if i implement MPLS switching then how will it help me.

Waiting for reply.

Anonymous
N/A

Your question does not pertain to MPLS OAM specifically. You may be able to get some help within the regular NetPro infrastructure forums.

Hi,

Myself Nihar.I've a question regarding vrf-lite support on cisco 3745 routers. Also pls. let me know whether multicast (PIM-SM) would be supported using this feature on the cisco 3745 for that particular vrf.

Anonymous
N/A

Hello Nihar,

Your question does not pertain to MPLS OAM specifically. you may be able to get some help within the regular NetPro forums.

Anonymous
N/A

Can I cascade a catalyst 2950 with a Intel Netstructure 470t Switch through the fiber optic gigagit module ? If it is possible...hoe can i do that ? I tried that but is no link.

Anonymous
N/A

Your question does not pertain to MPLS OAM specifically.

Monique,

Is there a function for passing CDP across the MPLS network? Since MPLS will mostly be implemented by a service provider, the service provider will own the PE and P routers, while the customer will own the CE routers. The service provider will (understandably) not want to give the customer all the information that CDP can provide, but the customer will often need CDP to function between the CE routers, especially if the customer is running CiscoWorks as a management platform. Since CDP operates at layer 2 and MPLS at layer 3, will any functionality be built in to allow for this common scenario? If so, will it also be available for transports that don't currently allow CDP (like ATM)?

Bronze

You can ask the SP to provide L2VPN(EoMPLS/VPLS).

In this case the SP N/W will be transparent to the CE.

The SP will transport all the layer2 packets and act as layer2 backbone for the CE.

EoMPLS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1612/products_feature_guide09186a00800e9571.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps368/prod_technical_reference09186a00800ae418.html

Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling

Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet1/0/2

Switch(config-if)# l2protocol-tunnel cdp

Switch(config-if)# l2protocol-tunnel stp

Switch(config-if)# l2protocol-tunnel vtp

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5532/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801ee9e0.html

Anonymous
N/A

This is correct.

Anonymous
N/A

Although not specific to MPLS OAM, you could indeed implement the EoMPLS configuration as suggested by the engineer from Reliance.

Hello,Monique.I have a cat4507R with two sup2+. At first, it worked well. Then I powered off and removed the supervisor from slot1 to test the Sup redundant feature. When powered on, it worked well with the second Sup in slot2. after that, I slided the first Sup back to slot1, removed the second Sup frome slot2 and powered on again. this time the switch didn't work. the LED labled STATUS remained off. I inserted the second Sup into slot2,it didn't work either. I am wondering whether the Sup redundant feature can only act once or there is some method to recover it.

Silver

Please, what is MPLS OAM?

Anonymous
N/A

MPLS OAM refers essentially to operations and management tools within the context of the FCAPS model, e.g fault detection, diagnostics.

Examples of such tools can be LSP Ping and tunnel trace to diagnose and locate a problem along the LSP path; MPLS MIBs etc.

Anonymous
N/A

Your question does not pertain to MPLS OAM specifically, you may obtain assistance within the regular NetPro Forums.

Hi,

I have an MPLS to serv less the 100 CE.

I want a suggetion if we need the provisioning tool or not.

If i just want to manage the RT and RD, which software can help?

Thanks

Hello

It really depends on whether you have enough trained staff to manage your network. But it would be good now to start using a tool to do provisioning as it would be easier to manage your network as the customer increases.

One of the tool that you can use is ISC. Please consult your local sales team for further details on this

Silver

I am not very familiar with the topic so I need some information as to how I should position tools like LSP-ping and LSR-Self Test, VCCV, and BFD?

Thanks

Hello Thomas

We recently conducted a tech talk on this topic. In that you can get some details on these new tools and and how to position them I sugesst you take a look at it. Please register or sign in by going to http://www.cisco.com/go/seminars

and enter S2124 in the Express Priority Registration field; click on GO. (Tip: Use your CCO account when registering/signing in.)

Do you have a control plane verification OAM?

Thanks,

Ron

Hello Simpson

Lets say we have a MPLS VPN network. Now assume that due to some error condition LDP is advertising wrong labels. Using LSP Ping/Trace you'll be able to isolate the problem.

Also let say i have BGP as PE-CE routing protocol and ive configured a specified number of prefixes to be recievd from CE via BGP. Then if we exceed the threshold then router would generate a notification. Similarly there are traditional mib/syslogs associated with different protocols.

Please also look at the recent tech talk on MPLS OAM which talks about new and upcoming things. For this please register or sign in by going to http://www.cisco.com/go/seminars

and enter S2124 in the Express Priority Registration field; click on GO. (Tip: Use your CCO account when registering/signing in.)

Hello Simpson

Lets say we have a MPLS VPN network. Now assume that due to some error condition LDP is advertising wrong labels. Using LSP Ping/Trace you'll be able to isolate the problem.

Also let say i have BGP as PE-CE routing protocol and ive configured a specified number of prefixes to be recievd from CE via BGP. Then if we exceed the threshold then router would generate a notification. Similarly there are traditional mib/syslogs associated with different protocols.

Please also look at the recent tech talk on MPLS OAM which talks about new and upcoming things. For this please register or sign in by going to http://www.cisco.com/go/seminars

Hello,

I can see that cisco currently supports VPLS only on 7600/6500 products. Its strange that Cisco doesn't support VPLS at the edge side. Other vendors are ahead of Cisco in terms of VPLS support at the edge. Even customers are asking the same. They want to have VPLS on edge routers like 10720. They want to connect a catalyst 4500 to 10720 for ethernet services. We cannot ask the customers to go for 7600 at the edge when they can get a much cheaper product from other vendors (from a major cisco competitor) compared to 7600.

Does Cisco has any roadmap for VPLS support on other products?

Regards,

Prakash

Hello Prakasah

The question doesnt relate to MPLS OAM. But Cisco has a comprehensive roadmap on VPLS support. Please cosult your local account team to get some more details.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content