Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Cisco Support Community site will be in read only mode on Dec14, 2017 from 12:01am PST to 11:30am for standard maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ASK THE EXPERT - NEW CISCO SUPPORT BUG TOOLKIT

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Bob Short the updated version of Cisco support tool for registered users, Bug Toolkit which provides a better and easier access to bugs and bug data. In 1997 Bob joined Cisco as a front-line engineer in customer support, handling customer issues with Cisco firewall and other security products. Later on, he moved into project and then product management with the Technical Services Web team. For the past 5-years, he has been working with Bug Toolkit and overall software bug management. His knowledge with how Cisco manages bugs is directly reflected in the newest Bug Toolkit release.

Remember to use the rating system to let Bob know if you have received an adequate response.

Bob might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 18, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

27 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - NEW CISCO SUPPORT BUG TOOLKIT

Hi,

Nice improvement, we can get bug report specific to the product type/model and IOS version. For example 3800 Series Router with IOS 12.4(10b). There are many other great improvements.

Thanks,

Dandy

Thank you for your great feedback. Remember that all IOS bugs are filed against "All IOS Versions" first and then if they are found to be platform specific, moved to the individual platform. For this reason, we return the bugs associated to the entire IOS version along with those specific to the platform.

You don't get the bugs that are only specific to other platforms unless they have not yet been assigned to that platform. So this narrows the search results considerably and helps you find the bugs you are seeking.

The new Bug Toolkit is linked from the old tool for now. Until we migrate all the internal systems to the new tool, you will still be able to use the old tool but the data may not be quite as up-to-date. Vist the new tool directly here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/

Note: All bug alerts and notifications must be setup in the new tool.

Don't forget to fill out our survey on the NEW Bug Toolkit. The survey is linked from the top of the new tool.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/

Silver

Greetings Bob,

Just curious here at times i get frustrated when the Cisco TAC comes back to me and tells me its an internal bug meant for internal circulation. They share the bug only in later stages. For me I think i have wasted a TAC case on a information I could have searched myself on Cisco pages and convince my customer. Why doesn't Cisco release such Bugs to contract owners on the BUG toolkit.

Another thing the error message decoder usually return what the error is sometimes though it returns back telling us to contact TAC, would Cisco not give us a bare minimum idea of what the error or bug is so that we can work out workarounds for the customer instead of raising a TAC for understanding the error and solving the issue.

More information to contract owners would reduce the time in solving problems.

-Hoogen

First, it is absolutely Cisco's policy to release all bug information on shipping code. There are rare exceptions to this policy but generally if TAC is working with you on a known bug, you should have been able to see that bug in Bug Toolkit.

Now, as with any policy, there are some bugs that get missed for publishing. They might have thought they fixed it internally before the code ever got out or they forgot to releasee it to the tool when the code was released with the known issue.

The NEW Bug Toolkit handles these situations by sending internal alerts to the bug owners when you try to search for a known bug ID that is not available to you. We tell you why it's not available and give you the option of saving it.

The bug owner is required to review it and if it's just an oversight, release the bug to the tool. So the old tool never had this circle communication that helps us identify bugs in these situations.

So use the tool and naturally and with time the bug data will improve. Not the case with the old tool.

As far as EMD, I would suggest you click the feedback link from the tool itself, I only manage Bug Toolkit.

hello

im a guest user of cisco.com and i got some crashinfo files in mi flash because last week something crash our router, we correct that but i got a question.

can I use the support bug toolkit to report this?

thanks

Great question. Cisco Customers & Partners can access Bug Toolkit, it is not available to guest users. It's one of the many added benefits we offer support contract holders.

Also, all bugs must be reported through the TAC. You can use Bug Toolkit to track and find existing bugs but the TAC has to file anything new.

ok, thanks for the information

Hi,

Will the Cisco Bug Toolkit be available for public/guess access?

For those network professionals who don't have access, once the Cisco Bug Toolkit become available to public/guess access, it would be easier for them to justify to the big shots in their organization to purchase Cisco Support or SmartNet for IOS updates, etc..

On the other side, this will make Cisco helps its certified professionals who don't have access to these great tools to find the cause of their strange problem is only a bug. Been seen some network professionals struggling on their job everyday because of bugs that they won't knew it excess because they don't have a way of finding it out.

Dandy

I have talked to upper management about allowing preview access to guest users so maybe allow a simple search or even full functionality for 3-days or something.

At this point, they feel that the tool is strictly for support-paying customers and partners.

Tools like NetPro allow guest level access but are limited to external data sources where Bug Toolkit is turly proprietary and marketable intellectual property.

Great suggestion!

I have a question which may be very basic thing that network engineer should be very aware of. The question is .....WHile purchasing a router or a switch what all are the basic things or parameters or the attributes we should take care and how can we check those things in the product. Please give me an answer for it.

I would suggest you repost your question in a more general forum location as this topic is specific to the NEW Bug Toolkit.

Hi Bob,

I'm wondering if I can search multiple IOS versions at once in the new bug toolkit. If not, is this scoped for any upcoming release? Thanks!

David

Only one at a time but I would consider looking at this for a future release. Can you tell me how you might use this capability?

So far I find the new bug toolkit to have a better UI than its predecessor. But I don't see a way to save my preferences in the Advanced Options section. It gets tedious having to change a bunch of those settings every time I use the tool. Could this be added to our CCO profile, or if necessary, stored in a browser cookie?

That's a great idea. I will look into adding an enhancement to save your settings in a user profile. Thanks!

Hi,

It seems odd, but I can't find a way to search bugs based on keywords.

All I can do is search by technology/hardware type/IOS version... This part looks and works great, but it's kind of useless if I end up browsing 200+ results...

Am I missing something in the navigation menu?

Thank you!

Javier Gurfinkiel, CCNA

MTS Allstream Inc.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Keyword search is now an advanced option. Simply select Advanced options in the search page after choosing the product and version you wish to search.

Keyword search suppports exact phrase match and Boolean expressions. See help for more more information.

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/help/btk/ent/help.html#other

Help is also linked from the tool.

By the way, keyword search works better than ever in the new tool!

I knew I was missing something... Thanks a lot!

Did you know? Bugs are marked internal only for versions that never impact you, our customers. Rightfully so; you don't need all that extra stuff to have to analyze if we found the bug and fixed the bug before the version was shipped. But sometimes a version gets out with a known bug and the bug is never published in the tool. Now, when you enter a Bug ID and SAVE it to your notification settings, a single internal alert is sent to the bug owner requesting they review the bug and publish it if it qualifies. What do you think?

Hi bshort,

I?m implementing SOX standar in an enterprise and I must completed the followings things : "Administrator are aware and notified of the latest security vulnerabilities of IOS in cisco router"

Is new bug toolkit the solution for this item ?

I have suscripted in the new bug toolkit and in the option "My notification" with my email, but Im not receive any notification...

Thanks for your answer

orlando

Bug Toolkit is *NOT* your first source for security issues. Security advisories are published with the detailed information you need. The bug ID's in the security advisory, when applicable, can be viewed in Bug Toolkit for more detail.

If your email alerts aren't working, please click the "feedback" button in the tool and explain the issue so someone can look into it.

Thank you.

Silver

Hi Bob,

When I look at my saved bugs under ?My Notifications? sometimes the headline description is blank. How do I bring the description back?

Thanks -

Tom

Great Question. The NEW Bug Toolkit works with real-time updates so when bug title or details are updated, it must be reviewed for publishing to make sure it doesn't contain confidential information. At the time of the update, any bug you are watching will display no title until our review team reviews it (usually 24-48 business hours). If you have an alert associated with it, it will send you an update when that review clears. If you click on the bug ID, you will get an error message explaining this but it will also prioritize the review of that bug so it will likely be available to you sooner.

In a future release, I would like to find a way to store the previous data during the review so you have access to the "old" data for the bugs you are watching. We will be building out such capabilities within the next year.

One more caveat with this functionality. If the bug moved into a confidential state, you may not be given access to the updates. This will be explained in a different error message and will also alert the bug owner that you are still interested in it.

Bugs in this state are held up by the bug owner and may not be released at the bug owner's (usually a development team manager's) discretion.

All that said, it is Cisco's policy to release all customer impacting (severity 1-3) bugs on all products to our customers. The new tool helps us enforce this policy because we have visibility to what you, our customers, are interested in watching.

Silver

Hi Bob,

How quickly does Cisco publish new bugs?

Thanks - Amrit

Bugs are available in Bug Toolkit within 24 to 48 hours of their creation. Some bugs, like those found prior to the code shipping externally, documentation bugs and some enhancement requests are not available in Bug Toolkit. Also, alpha and beta code bugs are limited to the programs restrictions and are not available in the tool.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content