Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

ASK THE EXPERT- NEXT GENERATION WIRELESS LAN STANDARDS

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Next Generation Wireless LAN Standards with Cisco expert Ron Seide. Ron is a Senior Product Line Manager for the Wireless Networking Business Unit at Cisco Systems, Inc. In addition to leading a team of product managers, Ron works regularly with a variety of external constituencies including end customers, resellers, industry analysts and the press. Feel free to post any questions relating to Next Generation Wireless LAN Standards. Remember to use the rating system to let Ron know if you’ve received an adequate response.

Ron might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through October 31. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

13 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- NEXT GENERATION WIRELESS LAN STANDARDS

When is Cisco going to offer 802.11G? Is there a target date?

Yes, first customer ship is planned for the first week of November with the products generally available through Cisco partners by early December. During this initial phase, products will be available but probably in short supply.

Will the 802.11g radio upgrade for the AP1200 be MiniPCI or Cardbus?

Mini-PCI. the same upgrade module will work with either the 1100 or 1200 series AP. the cardbus slot on the AP1200 is reserved for 5GHz, 802.11a modules.

When will 802.11i AES encryption be available?

Our 802.11g radio and those APs based upon it have an AES encryption engine built into them such that they will provide 802.11i encryption at something approaching line speed. The .11i standard is not, however, ratified yet-- this is expected in June, 2004. We plan to have the firmware (available as a free field upgrade) available to turn this functionality on soon after the standard is ratified, I'd estimate in the 3rd calendar quarter of 2004.

Cisco Employee

What relationship, if any, is there between Cisco's proprietary Wireless LAN Context Control Protocol (WLCCP) and the developing 802.11k WG?

Also, given the new tools that crack LEAP and your comments in a recent Unstrung (http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=41902&site=unstrung) article, is the March "announcement" going to move PEAP forward with CCKM-like features (specifically for fast roaming)?

Two really good questions. As to the first, while we are participating in and monitoring groups like 802.11k, we do not have any firm plans to modify protocols like WLCCP to achieve standardization. Based on customer feedback and priorities, we are putting greater emphasis on delivering features between the AP and the network infrastructure than providing interoperability. We are, however, working to further interoperability between the client and the AP through groups like 802.11 and the WiFi Alliance.

As to the 2nd question, yes, we do plan to provide CCKM features for more authentication types than just LEAP (which is all we currently support for fast roaming).

Question 1: Is there any plans for a cisco USB adapter?

Question 2: Can a USB adapter ever support data rates for 802.11g?

Question 3: Is there a way or will there be a way for leap to log in under the machine account on win2k or XP when the user logs out?

Question 1: Is there any plans for a cisco USB adapter?

Answer: No, there are not. We do, however, anticipate third-party Cisco Compatible USB adapters on the market in 2004. In the meanwhile, I'd advocate Wi-Fi- compliant USB adapters in general.

Question 2: Can a USB adapter ever support data rates for 802.11g?

Answer: Yes and no. USB version 2.x will support 802.11g/a data rates. USB 1.x will max out at about 12Mbps data rates.

Question 3: Is there a way or will there be a way for leap to log in under the machine account on win2k or XP when the user logs out?

Answer: No, there is not. I cannot imagine us undertaking this development.

What are the plans for PDA (16 bit card bus) devices that operate with 802.11g and a?

No, neither from Cisco nor (I suspect) from other vendors. Reason being that a 16-bit bus restricts effective data rate to around 12Mbps, essentially defeating the purpose of 802.11a and 802.11g, i.e. better performance.

What is the upgrade path to 802.11g for the AP1100?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content