Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - PREPARING FOR CCIE IN ROUTING AND SWITCHING

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Maurilio Gorito about the preparation for CCIE in Routing and Switching. Maurilio is a customer support engineer with the CCIE program at Cisco Systems, Inc. He has more than 22 years of networking experience and is a triple CCIE, with certifications in Routing & Switching (1998), WAN switching (2001), and Security (2003). Maurilio is the content manager for the CCIE R&S exams, written and lab exams and also serves as an exam proctor.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maurilio know if you have received an adequate response.

Maurilio might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 22, 2006. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

• Expert Corner
119 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - PREPARING FOR CCIE IN ROUTING AND SWITCHING

Hi,

I want to start my CCIE R&S prepration, I am CCNA certified since last 8 years and re-certified last July...Actually I am in the Windows Admin feild and I was supoposed to start my CCNP and CCIE long time ago but due to some financial problem I stopped even my interest is very high in Cisco and wireless feild...Now I want to start my CCIE R&S prep one of my CCIE friend advised me to just start CCIE and dont go for CCNP, however my thinking is to first start and write my CCIE R&S theory exam then study and pass CCNP exam new track and then start prep for LAB.

Can you please advise me the proper way to pursue my CCIE R&S, I also have passed CWNA exam most recently and I really want to finsih my CCNP and CCIE at the end of 2007.

Please advise?

Regards,

J

Silver

Hi J,

While CCNP is not a mandatory path through CCIE R&S it gives you a good foundation. I think your approach to take CCNP first is a good one and with the timeframe of end of 2007 is a good timeframe too.

Just keep in mind when preparing to CCIE R&S you must have a good hands-on experience as well be familiar with router and switches environment.

Please visit our web site at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/index.html where you can find useful information about the CCIE R&S.

Regards,

Maurilio

Maurillio,

Firsts Congratulations on being one of the eilte few to have 3 CCIE's, sir I salute you.

My Question to you is whats your real secret to success, I have a lab booked for the April, however I get dishardtened with the colegues at work who keep coming back having failed. Apart from the obvious hard work and dedication how did you prepare for you Labs? Do you have a set pre-game plan? And while your in there whats your approach? (ie if you dont know a section, do you concentrate on it to fix it, or cut your loses bodge it and move on?)

Thanks

Graham

hi can u pls tell us when cisco is introducing 4 switches in the lab. will cisco us 6 months prior notice as they uusually do. cause they just replaced the routers with 3800 and 3700 series without much prior notice.

can u pls tell us.

waiting for ur reply.

regards

sebastan

Silver

Hi Sebastan,

We start replacing the 3640 and 2721 with 3825 a year ago where we announced it. last November we just finished this replacement.

Last July we announced that in November, 2006 we will start replacing the 3550 and to introduce the 3560. The goal was to add more switches and to explore more switching technologies.

Now you can expect to find more than 2 switches in the CCIE R&S lab exam.

The exact number of devices is not that all important because it might change and we take the approach that when we deal with a customer network we some times don?t know what to expect.

Regards,

Maurilio

Dear

i configured ACS SE 1116 and the wireless security is PEAP . i regenerate the certificate from self install . when install the certificate on the laptob i can connect with certificate and without it .

i dont know how to make it just with certificate and not be able to connect without certificate. Please help.

Silver

Hi,

I'm sorry but the intention of this forum is to discuss how to better prepare for the CCIE Routing and Switching exams. It is not a technical discussion forum.

Regards,

Maurilio

Silver

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your comments.

First, you need to prepare to the lab with a lot of hands-on preparation. Start with the basics of layer 2 or switching and then go for advanced scenarios. Try different approaches and configurations for the same given scenario and a very important thing you will take from this is to observe the behavior when you change things. You learn a lot doing this.

Take the same approach with IP Routing protocols, BGP, and so on. You will see in the end how different situations you went through.

The CCIE R&S lab exam is not only about configuration but also about what you know how a given technology works and how to troubleshoot it.

If you get into a situation during your exam where you cannot make a part or a question of the exam works as required you should skip it and move on. Some times is worth to sacrifice couple of points to guarantee the rest of the exam. If still time in the end you come back and try to work on it.

Regards,

Maurilio

hi,

will you please guide me to build up the lab for CCIE R&S, i also want to know about how to start prepering for the CCIE written as well as for LAB exam? i think i want proper direction and the proper flow of the topics so i can start it properly.

also want to know ISDN, ATM, Frame Relay and ethernet only in the lab or we have to face otehr connectivity also?

regards

DDNet

Views
Helpful
Replies