Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - PREPARING TO TAKE CCIE ROUTING & SWITCHING

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get information about CCIE Routing and Switching with expert Maurilio Gorito. Maurilio is a triple CCIE #3807, having certified in Routing & Switching in 1998, WAN Switching in 2001, and Security in 2003. Maurilio has more than 23 years of experience in networking including Cisco networks and IBM / SNA environment which includes the planning, designing, implementation and troubleshooting of large IP networks running RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, QoS and SNA worldwide, including Brazil and USA. Maurilio has worked for Cisco Systems, Inc. since 2000 with the CCIE Team. As program manager, he is responsible for managing the content of the CCIE Routing & Switching certification exams and has more than 9 years of experience proctoring CCIE Lab exams.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maurilio know if you have received an adequate response.

Maurilio might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 5, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

166 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - PREPARING TO TAKE CCIE ROUTING & SWITCHING

Hi , I have (cisco 3845-both sides)a remote site connected thru VPN and back up as V-SAT - so sometimes when my vpn goes down i want access to our organization Applications , mail and Internet thru my head office thru v-sat

my Head office network : 172.17.X.X

my remote network : 172.20.X.X

does cisco 3845 supports auto sensing of this backup link

Silver

Hi,

I'm sorry but this discussion forum is not intended for technical discussions. It is intended to discuss guidelines on how to better prepare to take the CCIE R&S exams.

Regards,

Maurilio

Hi Maurilio,

Do you have any advice for candidates on how to approach a open ended question if we feel there is awkward or ambiguous wording? The proctor in Brussels told us we could not get up from our desks until we hit submit. Thank you.

Silver

Hi Hector,

I can see the proctor telling this as the section is 30 minutes short and he or she will not comment on the technical aspect of questions but still available to clarify if the candidate has doubts on the question's wording.

We are looking this very closely when developing the questions to have the wording clear and direct to avoid the candidate's need for clarification.

Regards,

Maurilio

hi

our corporate site and the remtoe site have been connected through IP-VPN, and the two sites are having Cisco Router(3845, 3725) pix firewall 515 for security, which has inside separate dmz (ISA)for each sites, each is having separate internet connection through lease lines, the problem now is the remote site lease line went down from THE ISP. now can we redirect the internet traffic from the corporate site to the remote site, for that purpose what steps should i have to follow on the pix firewall of remote site, corporate site,(i mean if i ping from from the corporate lan to the remote dmz it should be pingable ), as well as on the two routers....

your responce will be highly appreciated

Abdul Azeez.

MAADEN

azeez.hyd@gmail.com

Silver

Hi,

I'm sorry but this discussion forum is not intended for technical discussions. It is intended to discuss guidelines on how to better prepare to take the CCIE R&S exams.

Regards,

Maurilio

Hello Gorito,

In the new series of CCIE RS there are some more new topics are added.Could you brief me about the new syllabus or any link to help me out.

Hi Maurilio,

Please provide us with the right way for preparing Core Technologies questions.

Thanks in advance

Toshi

Silver

Hi Toshi,

One good way to prepare for the Core Knowledge questions is along with your preparation to the lab exam where you will be applying the overall concepts during your hands-on practice studying.

During that section you will be asked concept questions about technologies that are listed on the lab exam blueprint so while you are preparing to take the lab exam you are implementing all those concepts and then you will be well prepared for that.

Regards,

Maurilio

Silver

Hello,

The main changes on the new CCIE R&S v4.0 certifications standards are:

1. The addition of MPLS/VPN, EIGRPv6 and the emphasis on troubleshooting.

2. The addition of a separated 2 hours troubleshooting section to the exam.

We did not remove any topics from the syllabus and we will cover the certification standards (aka blueprint) through 3 sections:

1. Open Ended Questions: up to 30 minutes.

2. Troubleshooting: up to 2 hours.

3. Configuration: up to 5 1/2 hours.

You can find more detailed information on the CCIE R&S v4.0 at

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-4605

Regards,

Maurilio

Maurilio,

Is the troubleshooting part will be independent of the whole configuration? Or just a part included before starting the configuration?

Regards,

Omar

Silver

Hi Omar,

The Troubleshooting section will be independent from the Configuration section, i.e., it will be presented on a different scenario.

Once you finish the Troubleshooting you will move to the Configuration section that will be presented on a new scenario or topology.

Regards,

Maurilio

hi Maurilio Gorito.

I would really apreciate a more Inside View of the new Troubleshooting Section in the CCIE R&S 4.0 Revision.

Thank you in advacne.

Silver

Hi,

The Troubleshooting section will have a maximum of 2 hours. The candidate will be presented a series of questions or 'trouble tickets' for a given scenario or topology. The referred topology will pre-configured.

Based on the information provided such as IP addressing diagrams, IGP routing diagrams, and so on you will work to identify and fix the issues. You will be given points for working scenarios.

Regards,

Maurilio

Time Frame @ 4G's ...

Silver

Hi I'm not sure about your question.

Regards,

Maurilio

Hi Maurilio Gorito,

Please let me know about the CCIE LAB more as i want to build for me rack ...what i need minimum Cisco Devices required for me ,what is IOS (i know it has mentioend on Cisco Web) ...but i need the exact data.

Could you share with me about the all devices...as i do have Router 2600,2500

and switches 2900,3550.

IS there a lot chnage in troubleshooting wise in CCIE LAB v3 to CCIE LAB V4.

Please let me know that how can i build the network for me .

Regards,

Gaurav

Silver

Hi Gaurav,

The minimum number of devices to build a good practice rack would be 5 routers and 4 switches. We will have a mix of 1841 and 3825 ISR routers, and 3560 switches.

The set up you have is a good one for practice.

The changes on troubleshooting are that on the new v4.0 we will have a dedicated 2 hours troubleshooting section. A pre-configured scenario focuses on troubleshooting issues.

The candidate will be presented a series of questions or 'trouble tickets' for a given scenario or topology. The referred topology will pre-configured.

Based on the information provided such as IP addressing diagrams, IGP routing diagrams, and so on, you will work to identify and fix the issues. You will be given points for working scenarios.

Regards,

Maurilio

Hi Maurilio,

Thanks for your prompt reply ...as i planning to give my CCIE LAB on Ver3 only ..So there will be some other structure ....Kindly let me know that Router with the Module info so i will get the same ...e.g. one router for FR ,then 6 Routers..4 Switches...but can u tell me in more deep to setup my LAB to do more hard study.

Regards,

Gaurav Dixit

Silver

Hi Gaurav,

The routers have 2 LAN ports, usually fast Ethernet, and 2 serial ports. You might have a additional router to be your FR switch. We use 24 port switches so it allows us to have a full back-to-back connections between the switches and have all routers LAN ports connected as well.

Regards,

Maurilio

Great to see your reply....Can you also share with me that if i will be having Router 2600,2811,3600 and Switches 3550 &3560 ..also one 3600 Router i am planing to make as FR with 6 Serial Connection to connect all Routers.

If you can also share with me Module as per router which i can use ..

thanks again for your reply ..

Regards,

Gaurav Dixit

Silver

Hi Gaurav,

As I mentioned we will have a mix of 1841 and 3825 ISR routers, and 3560 switches. Each router will have 2 LAN ports modules and 2 Serial ports modules. We don't disclosure specifics but the modules are basic modules.

Having a 3600 as your FR is a good choice.

Regards,

Maurilio

Great to see your reply....can you please tell me on CCIEV3 Topology...

thanks for your info about CCIE V4...

thanks again for your reply ..

Regards,

Gaurav Dixit

Silver

Hi Guarav,

You can get more detailed information on the CCIE R&S v3.0 syllabus at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/lab_exam_blueprint.html

The same hardware set up we have been discussing for CCIE R&S v4.0 can be used to prepare for the V3.0 as well.

Regards,

Maurilio

Based on your last post does that mean the 3725 routers and 3550 switches are already gone for the Version 3 lab? I did not think the 1841's where going to be in operation until version 4.

I have also heard that SecureCRT is the terminal program used in the lab. If this is true can you provide the version number of SecureCRT currently being used and is there any plans on upgrading or changing the terminal program.

Silver

Hi,

You are correct, the 3725 routers and 3550 still on v3.0 and will be gone on v4.0. Also the 1841 will be added in v4.0. The fact on preparation is that you can still preparing to v4.0 using the current v3.0 devices.

The SecureCRT we are using is v3.0 and there is no plan of upgrading or change it at the moment.

Regards,

Maurilio

Dear Maurilio ,

As you mentioned we will have a mix of 1841 and 3825 ISR routers, and 3560 switches.

Howmany 3825 and 1841 will be in CCIE LAB V4.

As currently we do have CCIE LAB V3.I am more keen to know about the Open question ....is Proctor going to ask or it is automated same like other theory papers.....

As i had mentioned that i am building up my own lab ....what is minimum serise of devices i can play ..can i arrnage 3600 All routers ...as i can get the same and which IOS ( i know in blue print but can you share with me exact .tar file so i can download for me .) i will be in need to both 3600 Router annd Switches (3550 & 3560 ) if you can tell me exact IOS Imaage then it would be great help for me to understand better and clear the lab exam with hardwork...

Thanks again for your kind support for us .

Regards,

Gaurav Dixit

Silver

Hi Gaurav,

The number of exact devices might change from lab exam to lab exam that is why we don't give the exact number of them or model. The minimum number of router you should consider is 5 and it can be either two 3825s and three 1841s or two 1841s and three 3825s. The switches I'd recommend four 3560s.

In regarding the IOS I recommend you to use the latest available 12.4(T) for the routers and the latest 12.2 for the switches.

The Open ended questions are done on the computer by yourself, so no Proctor will be interviewing you.

Regards,

Maurilio

My question is about the Doc CD as used on the V3 exam. During my practice I use the link www.cisco.com/web/psa/products/index.html I assume on the actual lab I will have access to a similar version. Is that true? If so do I have the same level of information such as all technotes, troubleshooting guides and configuration guides?

Any information you can provide as to what may be different on the version that can be used during the lab and the online version would be a great help.

Views
Helpful
Replies