Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT - SECURE PUBLIC-SPACE BROADBAND ACCESS

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss solutions for deployment of secure broadband access in public spaces as well as implementation of access, bandwidth and usage policies.

Your questions will be answered by a team of experts in the area of broadband service management, wireless technologies, VPN, long-range Ethernet and access technologies: Manish Vaidya, Solutions Development Manager; Russell Rice, Technical Marketing Manager; Stephenie Chastain, Technical Marketing Engineer; Steve Wimsatt, Manager, Customer Solutions Group; Dan Murphy, Technical Marketing Engineer; and Thomas Weiland, Software Engineer.

You'll find Cisco-recommended deployment solutions described at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/cmo/

We may not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 20. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

15 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - SECURE PUBLIC-SPACE BROADBAND ACCESS

Can the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series terminate tunnels initiated from Windows clients?

TIA

Yes, the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series can terminate PPTP tunnels initiated from Windows 95/98/NT/2000 clients. Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series also supports the native L2TP/IPsec client that ships with Win2k. Note that to use the Windows 2000 native L2TP over IPsec client, digital certificates must be used for the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)-phase I authentication. Windows 2000 Advanced Server ships with a native Certificate Authority (CA), and either the Microsoft native CA or those from third-party vendors may be used. User-based (phase II) authentication can still take place in the usual manner using NT or RADIUS authentication.

Silver

Can you tell me how I should decide what transmit power setting to use for an access point?

Thomas

This depends on several factors such as bandwidth requirements, throughput requirements, cell size, number of users supported, environmental conditions, and expected sources of interference. Aironet 350 Series infrastructure devices can be set to 100, 50, 30, 20, 5 and 1 mW for coverage area flexibility.

100 mW transmit power is recommended for applications where maximum coverage area and AP range is desired. Typical applications would be warehouse, factory, and retail applications with relatively low user density and low per-user throughput requirements.

Lower transmit power results in a smaller coverage area. Smaller coverage areas support fewer users, which increases the per-user throughput. The typical application for smaller cell sizes is an office. As transmit power is decreased coverage area will decrease.

Hi I am working as Engineer for Bell Canada, and I looking for Cisco expert who know how Cisco BBSM product works. I am working on a solution that implicated IPass

I have a rather simple question. What authentication mechanisms/systems does the Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series support?

TIA

The Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator Series supports the following: NT Domain, RADIUS or RADIUS proxy, RSA Security SecurID, Digital Certificates, and internal authentication.

Hi,

I wanted to know if the VPN software is out for Windows 2000 clients? I have a rather large shop and have 30 mobile users that I have upgraded to Windows 2000. However, Cisco VPN router solution only works with the Windows 2000 VPN client. If the client is out, where can I locate the software?

Thanks,

The recently released Cisco VPN Client, release 3.0, supports Windows 2000. For additional information about it, refer to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/index.htm

This software works with a Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator and the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall as a head-end. IOS head-end support has not been released yet.

The part number is CVPN-CLNT-30-K9 and it can be ordered on line at CCO.

I’m new to this area of networking and was wondering what specific Cisco products & technologies are included in the Cisco Internet Mobile Office program?

Cisco delivers a full spectrum of networking products including: Aironet 350 wireless NICs and access points; VPN 3000 client S/W and access concentrators; Catalyst 3524 switches; Cisco BBSM V5.0; Cisco 1700, 2600 and 7100 routers; the PIX 500 firewall; and Long Reach Ethernet technology.

Does the v5.2 software support IPsec VPNs?

TIA

Yes, PIX v5.2 software supports IPsec VPNs. PIX Firewall software has included support for IPsec VPNs since v5.0.

Hello, can you tell me what 802.1x is?

802.1x is a draft standard for port-based network access control. 802.1x leverages standard protocols such as RADIUS to provide centralized user identification, authentication, dynamic key management and accounting. 802.1x also supports features for password authentication and one-time passwords. EAP stands for Extensible Authentication Protocol. It is a transport layer protocol proposed by Cisco, Microsoft and Intel to the IEEE 802.1x committee.

Views
Helpful
Replies