Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- SERVICE PROVIDER NETWORK MANAGEMENT ROI

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Service Provider Network Management ROI with Cisco expert Stephen Lautzenhiser. Stephen is a Market Development Manager with Network Management Services Technology Group at Cisco. He joined Cisco in 1999 to help build the New World Ecosystem - an alliance of complimentary SP-facing vendors - to help drive integrated solutions for Service Providers. Feel free to post any questions relating to Service Provider Network Management ROI. Remember to use the rating system to let Stephen know if you’ve received an adequate response.

Stephen might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through November 8. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

11 REPLIES
Silver

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- SERVICE PROVIDER NETWORK MANAGEMENT ROI

I'm concerned that my OSS vendor may not survive the current downturn. How do I factor that into the financial assessment of their product?

This is a relevant question, especially given the current economic environment. The viability of a vendor for a critical operation represents a risk enhancer. In your financial assessment, you can shorten the required breakeven period or raise the project discount rate to reflect the added risk of vendor stability. In addition, as a customer you can require option for source code access and additional vendor-funded product training before the go-live date. With a stable vendor such as Cisco, the OSS software is assured a upgrade or migration path. - Stephen Lautzenhiser, Cisco.

Hey Stephen,

Is it possible to push out a new or modified ACL template to a specific network class without making changes to them individually? The problem is when I attempt to schedule a download in ACL Manager, it will only send a job to modified devices. Well, I'm trying to modify devices(a lot of them!) by defined network classes without having to manually touch each router in ACL Manager. Is CiscoWorks capable of this? (My new CTO is screaming about CiscoWorks being a "time saver" and wants to know where the ROI is!) Thanks in advance!!!

The way ACL Manager works is that it will push out ACL changes to any device if it sees that any of the deployed ACL's have services or network clases that have been modified. So if you have an ACL defined and deployed on 100 interfaces and you make a change to any of the service classes or network classes that are used in the ACL, the tool will want to push out the change to ALL routers that have the ALC defined on it. It does not use the network class IP ranges to determine what devices get updated.

Ryan - I had to go and research this one a bit as I focusn on SP NMS and not the Enterprise Network Management products. I'm pasting in relevant Q&A from CiscoWorks documentation which suggests this should work. For more questions, please contact Marc Emmerson , a PM for CiscoWorks at 408-527-3390. For service providers, we have agent & event driven bus technology for group update of device configuration in our Cisco IE2100 series.

Stephen

Q. Will ACL Manager help to reduce the time it takes to make the same changes on several devices?

A. Yes, the administrator can use the ACL Use Wizard to apply a predefined filtering policy or template to a group of devices and appropriate interfaces at one time.

Q. Can I create the changes I want in the network and then have them applied at a later time?

A. Yes, the administrator can use ACL Manager to define all the changes required, then submit the job to run at a time in the future.

Hi..I am Affan I have one question regarding with access-list how can I enable access-list on group-async please write me thankx.

What product are you referring to?

Stephen

I do not know if you would be the person to ask about this....But...I was wondering how a client of mine who is purchasing two t-1 private lines would IMUX it together to have a 3mb connection. What equipment would they need and what would the pricing be.

Tghogan@att.com

Hi - This question is out of the subject range; however an Inverse Multiplexer is used to sustain or support T3 data rates using T-1 lines. Beyone that I'm not qualified to comment. Good luck.

Stephen

Anonymous
N/A

I have two routers,one is a Cisco 2621 with the module of NM-2CE1U and the other is a Cisco 3640 also with the module of NM-2CE1U . I want to ask if the module of NM-2CE1U can be substitute with each other ? PLS give me an answer.Thank a lot

using CISCO-PING-MIB in MPLS VPN

In CISCO-PING-MIB.my document, wu can use the CISCO-PING-MIB to

Proxy ping the hosts in the MPLS VPN (vrf).

But when i do it, router will return the message:

errstat =12; errindex = 1(ciscoPingProtocol).

Do Cisco Support Proxy ping with vrf???

Views
Helpful
Replies