Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- TROUBLESHOOTING HARDWARE AND LAYER 2 ISSUES IN 6500...

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Troubleshooting Hardware and Layer 2 Issues in Catalyst 6500 Switches with Cisco expert Prashanth Krishnappa. Prashanth is a Senior TAC Engineer for Campus Switching TAC in Research Triangle Park, NC. His current responsibilities include Technical Assistance Center (TAC) Escalation in which he troubleshoots complex issues related to Cisco's Catalyst product line; provide training, and author documentation. Feel free to post any questions relating to Troubleshooting Hardware and Layer 2 Issues in Catalyst 6500 Switches. Remember to use the rating system to let Prashanth know if you’ve received an adequate response.

Prashanth might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 1. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

71 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- TROUBLESHOOTING HARDWARE AND LAYER 2 ISSUES

Hi Prashanth,

I manage a Catalyst 6009 (i suppose similar to 6500)and i have some doubts:

1) it has 2 supervisor module (active/standby) with one port 1000BaseSX each one with port negotiation enabled. In the other side there are two swichtes 3Com with auto-negotiation enabled. I receive this error on the catalyst frequently:

%CDP-4-DUPLEXMISMATCH:Full/half duplex mismatch detected on port 1/1

What must i do? The link it looks like ok.

2)the 2 1000Base SX ports goes to the same network so i suppose that spantree blocks one or i have a trunk with them. But in the show spantree the two ports are forwarding and they don't appear in the show trunk or sh channel. so, what is happening?

3) Can i use the 1000BaseSX port of the standby supervisor module to do a 2Gb trunk link?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

1)If you are connecting the 6009 to a 3COM switch, you can disable CDP. Cisco Discovery Protocol(CDP) is Cisco Proprietary and you are seeing this message since 3Com does not understand CDP. If you disable CDP, this message will go away

Console> (enable) set cdp disable 1/1

CDP disabled on port 1/1.

2)If the 6009, is the Spanning tree root, both the ports will be forwarding. Again, remember if you are running PVST, STP is per VLAN. A port on the 3COM switch will be Spanning tree blocking

3)I believe, you are asking if you can channel and trunk. The answer is yes. But you might have to use LACP since PAgP is Cisco proprietary. We support IEEE standard, 802.3ad aka LACP, beginning from software release 7.x

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/126.html

Check the release notes to make sure you have the required bootrom version to upgrade and to check for known issues. If you are upgrading 7.6(2) should be a good code to run

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_1982.htm

Hello Prashanth,

I have a question regarding the supervisor2 modules in 6500's. Recently we had a power outage, and a sup.2 module lost its configuration. It seems like the NVRAM was faulty and could not retain the config (running catOS 6.1(2)). We reconfigured it, power cycled it and again it lost it's config. Interestingly this has happened with other chassis in the past.

Do you know if there is any issue with the NVRAM on sup.2 modules? (hardware version 2.2 and a PFC2 version 1.3)

Many thanks,

Jeremy Keen

This could be a bug similar to CSCdv85254

Bronze

Hello Prashanth,

Question about the hardware requirements for redundancy and HA on calatyst 6500. One CCO docu mentioned:

"The Supervisor engine, the routing engine, and the forwarding engine models MUST be the same on both modules for redundancy to be supported."

Does it include the hardware and firmware versions? I tried looking for other docs but I cannot find one that EXPLICITLY says that the HW, SW, and FW versions should be the same.

Thanks in advance.

Cisco Employee

No..The hardware and firmware versions can be different(it is very hard to match these unless you ordered the hardware at the same time)

However, the Supervisor and MSFC TYPE have to be the same. For example, if you have a Sup2/MSFC2 in slot1, you need to have a Sup2/MSFC2 in slot 2 as well. Also the software versions HAVE to match

I'm sure you have looked at the following document

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/151.html

Bronze

Thanks for the answer. As a follow-up question (sorry if this could be a dumb one), the MSFC isn't really required for redundancy to work, right? or is it? We only have redundant SUP2-2GE with PFC2.

Thanks again.

Cisco Employee

That is correct..You do not neccessarily need a MSFC. You can have just have WS-X6K-S2-PFC2 modules in slot1 and 2 of your 6500

Cisco Employee

CSCdv85254 was for MSFC2 configuration loss and more over was marked Unreproducible

where is can find code? the code number is CSCdv85254

Cisco Employee

Are you asking where you can find the bug? If you are a registered user, you can see it at

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdv85254

Cisco Employee

CSCdv85254 was MSFC2 config loss which is marked Unreproducible.

Looking at your post, it appears the battery might have gone bad. However, we do have one known issue

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdx87646

If you are upgrading, 6.4(4a) which is a General Deployment release should be a good code to run

Thanks for your reply, I am surprised to hear NVRAM is reliant on battery backup. Is there any way to test the battery - I have a couple of other sup2 modules, could I do some battery swapping or is it not that easy?

If it is battery, obviously the CatOS upgrade will have no impact?

Thanks again

Jeremy Keen

Cisco Employee

Battery cannot be changed in the field and no command to check for it.

We have seen lot of customers hit the bug I referenced. We now have 6.4(5) which is General Deployment release and has a fix for CSCdx87646. If you are loosing config everytime you reset, then it is mostly likely a battery issue.

Anonymous
N/A

This may be a bit off the subject. I intent to use the Catalyst 6500 for a VoIP implementation, connecting directly to a PABX and using normal handsets not IP phones. Would there be a need for me to include the Cisco Call Manager in the design?

Cisco Employee

You would need a Cisco Call Manager only if the implementation is a Cisco AVVID solution.

Anonymous
N/A

This certainly is not a Cisco AVVID solution. I was reading from this documentation on how to configure VoIP on Cat 6500, and them are saying the 24-port Foreign Exchange Station (FXS) analog interface module requires an IP address, is registered with Cisco CallManager in its domain, and is managed by Cisco CallManager.

The Catalyst 6000 family 8-port T1/E1 PSTN interface module is a high-density, eight port, T1/E1 VoIP module that can support both digital T1/E1 connectivity to the PSTN or transcoding and conferencing. The module requires an IP address, is registered with Cisco CallManager in its domain, and is managed by Cisco CallManager.

Now i am not sure which option i should go for. The PABX at the central site where the Catalyst 6500 is to be located is to carter for about 300 voice channels, which means about 10 E1 between the switch and the PABX.At the remote end i want to put Cisco 1751 routers running VoIP linking up to a Slave PABX. Is this workable?

Cisco Employee

This is way off this discussion topic. I suggest that you post this in the Voice and video section of Netpro

As long as you dont have IP Phones/ Soft phones, you dont need a Call Manager.

Hi Prashanth,

I have 2 Cat.6509s with SUP2/MSFC2 and have a basic question regarding CEF& MLS. I understand that the 6500 architecture is CEF based and I also have flow-based MLS enabled on the switches which I can confirm with "show mls ip". However, when I perform "show mls cef" it gives an output showing Index/prefix/Mask/Adjacency fields. Does this mean that MLS is CEF based? I have not been able to find any Cisco documentation on this so far.

Also, is there any way I could redirect the "traffic-statistics" gathering option on CEF to a server for analysis?

Thanks,

Rajesh

Cisco Employee

Rajesh

SUp2/MSFC2 does only CEF based MLS. For collecting traffic statistics, you might want to think about NetFlow Data Export (NDE. The following page should help.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_3/confg_gd/nde.htm#1019870

I have a 6509 switch running a supervisor 2 engine in Hybrid mode (CatOS/IOS). On board the supervisor I have an MSFC2 card. The supervisor has one pcmcia card slot (slot0). When I plug a flash card into slot0, the supervisor recognises it + I can format, copy files etc from the switch prompt. However if I go to the MSFC2, it will not recognise the flash card in slot0, even though it has the option to look at slot0.

Anyone have any ideas how I can use flash cards from the MSFC2 ??

Cisco Employee

The MSFC2 cannot read the contents of slot0:, but can access it. If you are planning to boot an image from slot0:, your boot variable would look like

boot system flash sup-slot0:c6msfc2.....

File system is different in CAT OS and IOS. Yes..You will have to do a "dir slot0:" from the Supervisor to get the file name etc.

Thanks

Why can't the MSFC2 read the contents of slot0 if it can boot from it?.

Does this mean that I have to do all image management for my MSFC from CatOS

Cheers

Try using sup-slot instead.

- Matt

Thanks

I have formatted the flash in CatOS and TFTP'd the IOS image for the MSFC2 onto the flash card (again from the switch prompt). I was just a bit worried about changing my boot variable to boot from the image on the flash card, when I can't even see it from the msfc ...

MSFC2-RTR#dir ?

/all List all files

/recursive List files recursively

all-filesystems List files on all filesystems

bootflash: Directory or file name

null: Directory or file name

nvram: Directory or file name

slavebootflash: Directory or file name

slavenvram: Directory or file name

system: Directory or file name

Cheers

can't see it matt

MSFC2#dir ?

/all List all files

/recursive List files recursively

all-filesystems List files on all filesystems

bootflash: Directory or file name

null: Directory or file name

nvram: Directory or file name

slavebootflash: Directory or file name

slavenvram: Directory or file name

system: Directory or file name

but I know it's there from the file sys

MSFC2#show file sys

File Systems:

Size(b) Free(b) Type Flags Prefixes

6256852 0 opaque ro microcode:

- - opaque rw null:

- - opaque rw system:

0 205861616 unknown wo image: sup-image:

- - network rw sup-slot0:

- - network rw sup-disk0:

- - network rw sup-bootflash:

- - network rw tftp:

522200 510407 nvram rw nvram:

* 15204352 93684 flash rw bootflash:

- - network rw rcp:

- - network rw ftp:

- - nvram rw slavenvram:

- - flash rw slavebootflash:

Cisco Employee

As I said, file system is different and you cannot read the contents of slot0: from MSFC2. You'll need to get the file name by doing a "dir slot0: from the Supervisor.

Make sure you have a bootldr image in the MSFC2 bootflash

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content