Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERT- VOICE-MAIL MIGRATION

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Connection Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss voice-mail integration with Cisco expert Will MacDonald. Will is a product manager for the Cisco DPA 7635 which integrates Cisco converged networks with Octel voicemail systems. Feel free to post any questions relating to voice-mail integration.

Will may not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. When posting a question, please be sure it is as specific as possible. He will be unable to address questions that require significant time commitments, such as requests for entire network designs or configurations, or vague questions that require follow-up with the poster.

This event lasts through January 19. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

15 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT- VOICE-MAIL MIGRATION

I have a client who is interested in the Cisco DPA 7630. I would like to know some of the benefits of using this specific product. It never hurts to have a little more firepower to help sell a project.

TIA

Bill

Bill, here are a few benefits of the Cisco DPA 7630:

Investment protection- The Cisco DPA 7630 allows the Octel voice mail system to be maintained without any hardware or software component changes.

Seamless migration- Users can move from the PBX to Cisco CallManager without any changes to their voice mail box. They can maintain the same phone number and any messages they have saved will remain on the voice mail system.

Gradual migration- The Cisco DPA 7630 allows both Cisco CallManager and the PBX to share the same Octel system, allowing you to gradually move users from the PBX to the Cisco CallManager.

Feature preservation- All voice messaging features familiar to PBX users will also be available with the Cisco CallManager, such as the "spell by name" feature.

It is my understanding that a PC with IP Softphone can be used in place of a IP Phone no matter where that end user may be on the same IP network. Of course this assumes that the PC has a mircophone, sound card and speakers. Are there any addiional drivers required for NT and Win9X devices? What about Linux PCs? Also, if we were to allow dial-in access through an access server (25XX), wouldn't a remote PC running IP Softphone be technically considered on the same IP network. This would allow telecommuters to be offsite, yet appear to be in the the building. Are there any additional router configuration commands which we would need to add for the voice capabilities. What about minimal IOS verion and ram requirements? Normal dial-in works fine.

It is possilble to use the IP Softphone anywhere on the IP network. Your example can futher be extended to support clients that have VPN access to their home network. So if a user has the ability to VPN from a remote facility to the home office they can fire up the IP Softphone. I have tested this solution with great success.

It is important to note that when using dial up lines you must at least configure the IP Softphone to use the high compression codec so that you do not experience problems.

There isn't any support for the IP Softphone on Linux PC's at this time. I imagine it will be awhile before cisco releases this.

You do not have to ramp up IOS version/ram requirements, or do any special configurations to 25xx access servers to support the IP Softphone. However I would look into QOS measures to improve service when multitasking.

What you say is quite right, once you are dialed in you are on the network and your softphone will work, giving you a telecomuter solution. The thing to watch for is the bandwith, if you are on a call accross a modem there isnt much left, even if you are using compressed audio.On the IOS side you want to set up QOS by giving priotity to packets with Type of Service (TOS) set to 5.

I am curious how to integrate our existing voice mail system to the Cisco IP Telephony network.

We are currently using the Intuity Voice Mail System and a Lucent G3Si switch. It is my understanding from our Lucent rep that we can purchase a SMDI port for our Intuity voice mail system. Assumign we do this, is there any documents from Cisco supporting this type of integration? Are there any issues in which we should be cautious?

Your Lucent rep is quite right. You want to go with analog and SMDI in your Intuity. If you are planning on cutting over from the G3 to Cisco Call Manager then just switching the voicemail from what is is at the moment to analog/SMDI will be easy. If you are planning on running the G3 and the Cisco Call Manager at the same time its a bit trickier, but can still be done. You may need to buy a device that will let you get SMDI out of your Lucent G3. (The device is a PBXLink from Connected Systems). On the Call manager side the only think to watch for is that the SMDI link is hard wired to 1 of the Call Managers in a cluster. If that machine fails the link cannot automatically fail over to a back up Call Manager, some one needs to manually do that. Lucent have a Confiuration Note for this set up, its number 9122.

We are in fact going to have both the G3 system and the CallManager active at the same time. I appriciate your advice. Do you know if I can access the configuration note "9122" via the web?

We are currently evaluating the Cisco IP Telephony Products and this is probably one of the main unresolved issues before we go forward with purchasing. So any additional documentation links you could provide would be helpful.

Again, thanks for all your help

Leonard Thompson

WAN Manager

ANTEC Corp.

678-473-8242

I think you may have to contact Lucent to get the config note.

Silver

We are looking at moving to a Cisco Call Manager setup, we currently have a Meridian 1 from Nortel, the voicemail is an Octel. The Octel integrates to the Meridian 1 using analog lines for the voice and some external box with a serial cable for the call information. We want to be able to share the Octel between the Meridian 1 and the Call Manager. The DPA product would be perfect, except that it doesnt support analog. How should we proceed without having to spend a fortune on Octel equipment?

The external box will be comunicating

with the Octel using SMDI. You may be able to add analog ports (from ana analog gateway like a VG200) and an additional SMDI link to the Octel. If you cant add another SMDI link then you can buy a VB-MUX from a company called VTG, this will combine (MUX) 2 SMDI streams (1 from this external box and the other from the Cisco Call Manager)and connect them both to the Octel, while the Octel thinks its only connected to 1 PBX.

Hi,

As a possibility of testing a Call Manager platform as a replacement of Nortel PBX, we wish to keep the Meridian Mail voice mail system.

My understanding is if so, we will loose the MWI Light indicator feature on Cisco phone in some configurations of migrations detailed in the Cisco IP telephony network design ( like model B , A). Reading other users moving from Lucent with Octel Voice mail that an additional SMDI link is required, I'm wondering exactly what are the requirements in our situation with MM, Nortel, VM in order to guaranty to keep the MWI features on Cisco phones ? Could you clarify such configuration and these migrations paths I have mentioned.

Thanks

Catherine

There is a version of Meridian Mail which uses analog and SMDI instead of the proprietary links. You might be able to change your existing Meridian Mail to do this, if not, you could buy a second system for the IP phones and network them together.

I have a Call Manager connected to my voice mail system which is Octel 250 via SMDI, if my primary fails is there a way to automatically switch over to my secondary call manager. Will the Cisco DPA 7630 do this?

There is no way to fail over the SMDI link. The DPA-7630 will do fail over but it requires that the Octel is using Digital integration rather than analog. It would be possible to upgrade the Octel to digital and then use the DPA, but this would be expensive.

Views
Helpful
Replies