Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

ASK THE EXPERT - WIRELESS CONTROL SYSTEM

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on Wireless Control System (WCS) with Cisco expert Pushkar Sambhoos. Pushkar Sambhoos is a customer support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He has been with the Network Management Services team for 3 years and is currently the tech lead, supporting the Cisco Wireless Control System, Cisco Wireless Location Appliance, and Cisco Mobility Services Engine. Sambhoos holds CCIE certification in the Routing and Switching and Service Provider tracks (CCIE # 19532). He holds a bachelors degree in electronics and a master's degree in telecommunications from the University of Colorado.

Remember to use the rating system to let Pushkar know if you have received an adequate response

Pushkar might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 9, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members

39 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - WIRELESS NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Have a 1524 that will be used as a MAP and will connect to 1 RAP.  Just the 2 APs on the controller.  The RAP powers on fine but the one that I am using as a MAP will not power on unless I hook a computer to it to or into my network.  It will only power on if it has a wired network connection?  I am hooking 2 cameras to the MAP and shooting that back to my RAP.  How do I power it on without an ethernet connection attached?

HI

We're a NHS Hopsital in the UK.

We currently using the 4404 controllers.

Our staff are able to visit other NHS PCT Offices which they are able to log on to the lan using their network account.

Our staff are now asking for connection to the hospital Wireless network in these satalie venues.  These venues already have their own wireless network.

Is this just a matter of creating a new Wireless VLAN and and getting the settings to point to our DHCP and controller several miles away.

Cheers

Craig

Craig,

The AP's at the remote sites would have to register to your controller is use the WLAN & authentication settings. Are the AP's at the remote sites LWAPP?  Do they have WLC's at the remote sites?

What you could do is create a mobility group and link the WLC's together.

HTH>

Andrew.

Hi again

Another question I have.

Or wireless network is split into several VLANS around each hospitals.

We have a portable medical device that has to have a static IP address.

We dont want to create a new VLAN and SSID for this 1 device.

I think I remember reading something about a VMPS which will allow a mac address to be assigned to a certain vlan, this is on a wired network.  Does this also work for a wireless network?

Are switches are 3750s, ap 1240s,

Cheers

Craig

Craig,

The 3750 supports VPMS as a client - when you have a VPMS server.  The Cat 4000/5000/6500 switches can be used as VMPS servers with the specific software.

HTH>

Andrew.

Re: ASK THE EXPERT - WIRELESS CONTROL SYSTEM

hi,

something that bugs me:

is it possible in WCS to rotate or even change the form of a building in the campus map?

Buildings in the U.S. may be that rectangular and in N-S or E-W direction, but here in europe we got ridiculous shapes, which makes it not only impossible to place the map exactly on the building, but because of rotation that nearby buildings overlap or there is no space left for them.

I am pretty sure, that this is not possible in WCS (unless I have really overseen such a function, but there is nothing mentioned in the manual either), so the question is more: will this be possible in WCS?

Cisco Employee

Hi,

As you mention, there is currently no way in WCS to change the orientation when drawing buildings. The rectangles used to represent the building are always drawn with the assumption that buildings are aligned N-S or E-W. I am not ware of any plans to change that behavior, but will put in an enhancement request to get it added in the future releases.

Having said that, the buildings shown on the Campus in WCS do not really affect the location calculation. They are more of a place-holder, to allow looking at the maps at the building level. So even if your buildings are aligned in a particular direction, you can put in a small rectangle (in it's current form and orientation) and making sure it does not overlap with the neighboring buildings. Your location calculation will not be affected by it.

--

Pushkar

Dear Pushkar,

We have WCS up and running and we would like to use the maps for only have a view on the network but we don't want WCS recompute all AP parameters because we want to leave WLC the "master" of the wireless coverage.

For the moment, it is working as we want because WCS has SNMP read only parameter for WLC but the problem is all other functionaliites taht required read/write access are not funtioning propoerly.

Is there another way to do?

Thanks.

Yab

Cisco Employee

Yab,

The WCS maps pages create the heatmaps based on the power levels set on the Access Points. The Power level settings are not modified by the WCS even if you use the read/write SNMP community string.

The AP Power levels are always controlled by the WLC. They are changed automatically based on RRM which is enabled by default, or you could go in and set the power levels manually per AP.

So to answer your question, adding the read/write community string for the controller into the WCS will not cause a change in the AP power levels. So in order to use all the features of WCS, it is recommended you use a read/write community string instead of a read-only community string.

--

Pushkar

Hall of Fame Super Gold

One of the improvements I've enjoyed with the new WCS is the ability to track the number of users for autonomous access points.

Cisco Employee

Thanks for the feedback. We are glad you find the feature useful.

--

Pushkar

Any plans to expand the the mapping mode? Specifically, the ability to create wall obstacles based on an AutoCAD layer would save so much time and pain.  Why hasn't this been implemented yet?  WCS can already differentiate between CAD layers, so why can't it simply plop "thick walls" where the wall layer exists in AutoCAD?

We're running 6.0.188 and are upgrading to 6.0.196 in a few days.  With 6.0.188, we were getting DHCP issues (see here), AP "draws low power from Ethernet. Failure reason: 'The AP draws 15.4 watts  from Ethernet'." errors, and APs sporadically containing themselves for about 1 minute (see attachment). The low power errors seem to just be cosmetic; the APs (1142) work fine.  I've seen nothing in the caveats regarding these issues and I was wondering if you have.

Hello Pushkar;

I wanted to know if there are any plans to add a feature to WCS to list open SSIDs with no authentication or encryption as guest users.  At the moment, only accounts that were created on the WCS or the controller are listed as guest users. This would make it easier to users to run reports and gather information on the amount of guest who are using their wireless network.

Thank you

Sean

Cisco Employee

Sean,

A guest user is any user connected to a WLAN which is configured specifically to be a Guest WLAN. So client's connecting to 'Open SSIDs' with no authentication are not termed as guest. This is by design.

You can always run a client report per SSID, and get the details on the clients which are connecting to it. So in case you have a open SSID, you can run the client report for it to get the info you seek.

--

Pushkar

Hi Pushkar,

I have a mesh network with LAP 1522 (as Root AP) and WLC 4402 in the main site.

I add a seven LAP’s 1500 (as Mesh AP) in deferent seven remote sites, but I faced a serious problem that when I used the ping tool to ping the IP address of the LAP 1500 in the remote site I found there is big delay in the time and keep increase to about 3000ms so the link go’s down after one minute and the time was normal before about 1ms and 3ms, please I need your help, why the ping time between the LAP 1500 access pointes suddenly goes high in on randomly way until the links goes down.

Kindly Regards,

Ahmed

Cisco Employee

Ahmed,

Are you initiating the ping from the WCS or the Controller?

--

Pushkar

Hi Pushkar,

Thanks for your soon reply,

I use the ping tool in the controller, WLC.

--------------------

Ahmed

Cisco Employee

Ahmed,

As this appears to be a problem on the controller, I would suggest you post the quesiton in the controller related forums. This thread is for issues related to the Wireless Control System (WCS) which is a management application for the controllers.

--

Pushkar

Hi Pushkar,

Thanks for your reply, but where to initiate such discussion and with whom?

-----------------------

Ahmed

Cisco Employee

A good forum to post the question would be https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/wireless-mobility/begin-wireless

--

Pushkar

Dear Pushkar,

I wanted to know  how we can configure High Availability for WCS , also is seperate license reqd for the standby server.

Cisco Employee

Hi,

The WCS HA configuration does not require you to buy a second license for the secondary server. The reason being that only one server is up and running at any point of time.

For the configuration of HA, please refer to the URL below.

HA Configuration - http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/6_0admin.html#wp1132580

--

Pushkar

Hi,

I have recently been put in charge of our wireless network and have noticed that for a long time we have been getting critical alarms on the WCS. The alarms are "MFP Anomaly Detected - 5,444,015 'No MIC' violations......" and "MFP Anomaly Detected - 5,850 'Invalid MIC' violations......". Of course the number changes, but the No MIC is usually that high and so is the Invalid MIC. Currently we get about 700 messages a day. Most of these are the MIC messages. I know what a MIC is, but why am I getting so many and is there something I need to do to stop this? I have WCS version 4.2.110.0 and four controllers and 150 APs.

Thanks.

Cisco Employee

Jason,

Can you try acknowledging a new few alarms. Once an alarm is acknowledged, it will not show up in one of the three severity categories.

--

Pushkar

Pushkar,

Thanks for the quick response. I acknowledged some of the alarms and they did go away, but is this what I should be doing or is there a problem with the network? I have over 11600 critical messages in the log and it would take me a while to acknowledge them all.

Thanks again,

Jason

Cisco Employee

Are the offending devices APs that are attached to the other controllers?  What version are you running on the controllers?  There were some bugs in the 4.2 code related to this issue and I seem to remember 4.2.112.0 for the controllers had a fix.

The offending APs do not seem to be attached to other controllers. I am not sure if this means anything, but some of the alarm creation dates go back to last year, some are two years ago. The one I am looking at now was created on Jul 23, 2009 and of course, modified today. The software version on the controllers is 4.2.130.0

Thanks for the help

Jason

Hi,

We have recently switch over to use the NGS for creating our guest user accounts. Since then we have lost the ability to see on the WCS the following things Latest 5 logged in Guest Users and Recent 5 Guest User Accounts, but we do see the Guest Users Count.

Please let me know if there something that i can configure to see the info again on my dashboard. (I have attached a snap shot of the dashboard.)

thanks

HI, I’m planning a wireless installation with for Guest Access with WCS, 5508 Controller and 1140 AP’s and 1230 AP’s. Now I have autonomous AP’s 1230 and I want to migrate to LWAPP. But, I’ve read that 5508 only supports CAPWAP (so not LWAPP?), so my question is can I use AP 1230 migrated to LWAPP with 5508 or not? Do 1230 AP’s support CAPWAP?

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content