Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASK THE EXPERTS - CCIE WIRELESS

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on the CCIE Wireless Certification with Cisco expert Javier Contreras. Javier Contreras is a senior escalation engineer for the Wireless Business Unit focused on the EMEA region. He is involved in high-priority support cases for wireless infrastructures, CCIE Wireless development, wireless security testing, and leading the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Configuration Analyzer application. Previously at Cisco, he has worked in security consulting and training. He has 13 years of experience in IT and networking industry. Contreras also contributed to the Cisco Press book "Deploying and Troubleshooting Wireless Networks."

Remember to use the rating system to let Javier know if you have received an adequate response.

Javier might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 21, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

32 REPLIES

Re: ASK THE EXPERTS - CCIE WIRELESS

Are there any undocumented tricks needed to pass  the exam?

Cisco Employee

Hi...

No in fact. The exam design requirements are that every possible answer is based on documents available on cisco.com. All answers are tracked back to documentation, so we can not use any hidden or even not well known features or commands.

What is the passing rate of CCIE Wireless LAb exam?

Cisco Employee

Hi

It is on par with voice or security exams, lower than R&S.

Hello,

Are there future plans to make the LAB available in Dubai or Bangalore this year or next year? Are OEQs part of the CCIE Wireless lab exam?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

we are looking at expanding lab seats as the back log for CCIE Wireless lab is  growing fast. We are in the process of evauluating additional lab locations  and you can expect an announcement on the CLN website in the near future

For OEQ (open ended questions), yes, they are part of the exam.

Cisco Employee

Hello Javier,

With its acquisition of Starent Networks, does Cisco now plan to offer a Cert Track in Mobile Packet Core Technologies?

GGSN, PDSN, LTE, etc.

Regards,

Tom

Cisco Employee

Hi Tom

Starent Network products are outside of the scope of current and next review iteration of Wireless CCIE.

We continuously review the exam content to reflect field issues and usage, and we  may integrate in the future if needed.

For the other mobility or content provider devices they have, they may go into other CCIE tracks. I am not aware of any plans, but I am not participating in other tracks content development, sorry.

Regards

Hi,

When can we expect next lab version?

Cisco Employee

Hi

Next revision is coming next year. We will notify CCIE candidates 6 months in advance as per policies.

Hello Javier,

Does the CCIE lab exam contain troubleshooting questions like the voice and Security exams?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mohamed Gazzaz

Cisco Employee

Hi

yes, we explicitly include several troubleshooting issues, reflecting common scenarios seen in the field.

the exam is not just configuring, but properly integrating into network, and troubleshooting related problems.

Can you elaborate on the CCIE Wireless Lab's Topology or at least what

equipment we can expect to contend with in the Wirless Lab?

Example:  We know the exact topology for Voice.  We have a pretty clear description for both Service Provider and Security.  Of course everyone generally knows there are currently 5 Routers, 4 Switches, and 3 Backbone Devices in the RS Lab.  Even the Storage Lab is pretty well described as for the type, models, and number of specific devices we can expect to contend with.

How about Wireless?

At the moment, I'm thinking something like this:

Of course, I'm thinking at least 4402-12 as an Anchor Controller and at least one 4402-12 as a Foreign Controller.  The WiSM (at least 1) on the 6500 would account for the equivalent of 2 WLCs.

I've heard as many 9-11 APs.  I'm sure we can expect a few different models and at least a couple of roles.

Maybe a few end devices to be the clients for the network - debatable but nice to have for testing.

The official hard ware list looks like this:

Lab Equipment

1. Cisco Wireless Access  Points:
    • Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series  (Lightweight and Autonomous version)

• Cisco  Aironet 1250AG Series

2. Cisco Wireless LAN  Controllers:
    • Cisco 4400 Series

• Cisco 2100 Series

• Cisco Catalayst  6500 Series Wireless Services Module (WiSM)

3. Cisco  Wireless Location Appliance:
    • Cisco 2700  Series Wireless Location Appliance

4. Cisco  Aironet Wireless LAN Client Adapters:
    • Cisco  Aironet 802.11A/B/G Wireless PCI Adapter

5. Cisco  Wireless Phones:
    • Cisco Unified Wireless IP  Phone 7921G

6. Cisco Catalyst Switches:
    • Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches

• Cisco  Catalyst 6500-E Series Switches

7. Cisco  Secure Access Control Server for Windows (ACS)
  8. Cisco  Wireless Control System (WCS)

Software

1. Cisco  Unified Wireless Network Software Release 4.2
  2. Cisco Aironet  1240AG Series IOS Software Release 12.3.(8)JE(x)
  3. Cisco Unified  Wireless Network Software Release 4.2 for 2100/4400 WLAN Controllers and  Catalyst 6500 Series Wireless Services Module
  4. Cisco 2700 Series  Location Based Services Appliance, version 3.1
  5. Cisco Catalyst  6500 SUP720/MSFCC3 IOS Software Release 12.2 SXH
  6. Cisco Catalyst  2960 Series Switches IOS Software Release 12.2SE(x) LAN BASE feature set
  7. Cisco  Catalyst 3560E Series Switches IOS Software Release 12.2SE, UNIVERSAL  feature set
  8. Cisco Wireless Control System version 4.2
  9. Cisco  Secure ACS for Windows version 4.2
  10. Cisco Secure Services Client  version 5.1
  11. Aironet Desktop Utility (ADU)

Tools

1. Cisco  Spectrum Expert
  2. Wireshark
  3. WCS

Darby Weaver

darbyweaver@yahoo.com

http://www.darbyslogs.blogspot.com

Cisco Employee

Hi

The topology has to reflect the typical scenarios found on any enterprise wireless (Central site, branch, SOHO, guest access, LAN bridging, etc), plus the common services (data, voice, location, LAN extension).

Any network you can put together that can cover all the above scenarios is fine. Just keep in mind that we think on the solution as a hole. You can not have a wireless only setup, it is connected to a network, so the underlaying infrastructure is also important (QoS, routing, STP, etc)

What you describe in your question looks fine. For all I know, we have no plans to publish officially the lab topology, and I think that anyone doing so could be breaking the NDA.

The official list for hardware/software is:https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5278

Which you already mentioned on H4.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My home lab covers mostly any Enterprise class network (I've gathered this can be a task in and of itself for candidates not familiar with Enterprise Networking and some of challenges associated with them).

1. The dual-ISPs covered along with the cloud.

2. The dual Enterprise Sites covered along with the Co-located facility (the anchor lives here).

3. The SOHO is overed by a 800 Series Wireless Router with both a Site-to-Site and direct connection to the Internet and the head end at the DC is handled by an ASA to terminate the IPSec VPN.

4. The Branch is likewise covered.  Good place for HREAP.

5. The Enterprise also has: CCM, AD, DHCP, PKI, RADIUS via ACS, and everyhing is in duplicate.  It also would support guest access.

6. WLCs - My lab is rather poor using older WLC 4000/4100's (4 total) and no WiSMs (I have the full array or 4402/4404/WiSMs at work).  I do have a version of WCS.

7. I've purchased a small army of APs - some are older but I'm mostly interested in them for their ability to cover ABG so they are AS-1250-ABG - not the latest and greatest but I'm still working out the details. I have a full array of APs at work.

8. Antenna's - I have various types of Omni, Yagi, and Directional (no Parabolic Antenna's yet) but I think I have enough to learn a few things on.

9. Wireshark and AirMagnet  - I use both daily.

Note: I don't expect my home lab to exactly pair up to the CCIE Wireless only to allow me to improve my speed on basic configuration items mostly like speed and familiarity of the CLI mostly.  I obviously missing a Location Appliance  - Rented lab to get acquainted with this one.

I'd consider QoS, Routing, HSRP, Trunking (Tagging), LAG, issues with VTP or the native VLAN to be par for the course.  The same would apply to issues like RF configuration and Multicast options.   Little things like Radius using IPSec and other interesting features.

Web-Auth Options would be interesting too.  I'd suppose self-signed certs, but might also expect that if a full infrastructure is in place then PKI might be expected.  If so, would  the candidate be expected to generate the cert on the AD Server for example?  I'd think not but might ask.

Creating the WLAN and associated interfaces would be a given - this goes along with the bridging scenarios I'd fathom.

I'd imagine all features are on the table including Asymmetric Tunnels and other little used features (it's a CCIE lab of course).

Naturally all management features would be fair game.

I guess we can imagine all means of discovery might be present on the lab  - so this would dictate a minimum number of APs as well - Sandbox, OTAP, Option 43/60/241 over both MS DHCP and IOS DHCP, DNS, and IP Forward Protocol/IP Helper Address, Priming the APs, etc.

So the next questions are:

I'd wonder if the candidate is expected to provide work up an IP  Scheme or whether it would be provided for the candidate?

How much non-wireless (Infrastructure) is required of the candidate to be configured?  That is, is the ACS, AD Server (DHCP, DNS, IIS FTP, IIS HTTP/HTTPS) or other services like PKI required of the candidate?

Can you elaborate on how points are distributed for tasks?

Approximately how many tasks?

What are the key topics that are graded?

Still curious about how many devices a candidate is expected to configure during the lab and of what type?  Are you saying this is NDA?

Are there any portions of the lab that might require a candidate to work exclusively in CLI or in the GUI?  Or does a candidate have the ability to pick and choose?  I'd expect pick and choose but someone should ask.

As far as the DOC CD goes - can you elaborate on where the start page might be for the lab or if it is usable at all?

How about the Open Ended Questions  - They have now officially been dropped for RS and Voice but no mention was made for Wireless.

However, it has been mentioned publicly that the OEQ for Wireless are not (or were not) graded for the Lab - Is this a truth? Of course without breaking any NDAs.

(None of this should be NDA, as evidenced by other tracks in which CCIE program managers have made these items public.)

Darby Weaver

darbyweaver@yahoo.com

Cisco Employee

Hi Darby

Your lab look great, good work!. My only concern is the 4000, not for the hardware, but for the limitation to 3.2. As the lab is based of 4.2, there are important features you would be missing (h-reap, LAG, local EAP, radius details, etc, etc).

Let me list your questions here, please let me know if I missed any:

1. How much non-wireless (Infrastructure) is required of the candidate to be configured?  That is, is the ACS, AD Server (DHCP, DNS, IIS FTP, IIS HTTP/HTTPS) or other services like PKI required of the candidate?

We took the stance that this is Cisco Wireless exam, not MSCE (tm), so we avoided setting up questions that require specific OS knowledge. It was  hard, as wireless has too many  dependencies, but we managed to include questions that touch these subjects, without forcing the student to be a master on DNS configuration for X brand of OS  for example. The application infrastructure is prepared for the exam, but there are things that must be understood and done by the student.

Basically, DNS, DHCP, PKI, are already prepared. Student is assumed to be proficient on ACS and CSSC, ADU, etc.

2. Can you elaborate on how points are distributed for tasks?

Sorry, I am not authorized to disclose exactly the point distribution, if it is not already on the CCIE web site. Each task has a weight or relevance, so not all questions have the same amount of points. You must remember that there are no "partial points" for questions. If you only answer it partially, you get zero points.

3. Approximately how many tasks?

Around  6.  Exam is set to match the blueprint

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5277

4. What are the key topics that are graded?

Everything :-)

If by topics you mean what is asked in the exam... basically I can say that we put in the exam the typical situations we find on TAC/Escalation cases. If a feature or technology is a common source of problems, we tried to include it in the lab.  The exam was designed to “model” the typical issues from the field.

5. Still curious about how many devices a candidate is expected to configure during the lab and of what type?  Are you saying this is NDA?

The exact number of devices, and what they are, yes, it is part of NDA.

I can say that this exam has a larger amount of equipment than other exams, due to the topology requirements. We measured that the exam time should be possible to do in 4 or 5 hours, so we modified the questions during beta testing to make sure that candidates can finish on that time, so they can have later few hours left for checking the answers.

6. Are there any portions of the lab that might require a candidate to work exclusively in CLI or in the GUI?  Or does a candidate have the ability to pick and choose?  I'd expect pick and choose but someone should ask.

The exam was designed to be done either by GUI, CLI and WCS. There are few questions that need CLI or GUI due to specific features that are only available in one way or another  As CCIE, given that it has the "expert" letter, you must be familiar on any of the three management methods. :-)

TIP: there are things that are done faster on CLI or on GUI, check what they are as it is an important time saving detail... and time is a important resource here.

TIP2: I would mention, that the aIOS side was focused mostly on CLI.

7. As far as the DOC CD goes - can you elaborate on where the start page might be for the lab or if it is usable at all?

Yes, cisco documentation is available for the exam. The start page is the same for all CCIE labs

8. How about the Open Ended Questions  - They have now officially been dropped for RS and Voice but no mention was made for Wireless.

They are part of the exam, just checked yesterday with the Project Manager. They will not be dropped for the time being.

9. However, it has been mentioned publicly that the OEQ for Wireless are not (or were not) graded for the Lab - Is this a truth? Of course without breaking any NDAs.

They are graded in the exam.

Regards!

Hello Javier,

Is HREAP and requirement for the LAB?

thanks

Cisco Employee

Hi Mike

yes, absolutely. H-REAP is a common source of problems due to wrong design or configuration issues, so we made sure it was included in the exam.

Regards

Javier,

Is Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Configuration Analyzer application present and tested in the lab?  It's not on the blueprint but I thought it safe to ask.

Darby Weaver

darbyweaver@yahoo.com

Cisco Employee

Hi Darby

WLCCA is not officially a Cisco product, so I can tell you 200% sure, that as a tool, it is not part of the CCIE exam, and it will never be

We wrote the tool for TAC and Escalation teams, later Professional services also started using and contributing to it.  Then we  made it available externally to  help the partners/customers in the field on support issues.

As such, the information/checks that the WLCCA provide are a good learning point for the exam, as they also reflect issues we see commonly on the field, and they are modeled after best practices and voice deployment guides.

Regards

Javier,

A couple extra questions:

1. Will there be a Cisco 360 study program for the Wireless track?  If so, is there a timeline as of yet?

2. What official Cisco classes do you recommend for the CCIE Wireless? (I'm assuming we mostly have to rely on the CCNA Wireless and the CCNP Wireless courses for the time being).

3. How relevant are the Cisco Design Guides for Wireless (location appliance, 4.1 for mobility, wcs, and voice for example) to the actual exam? So far, for deployments I've thought they were quite excellent.  Just wondering on a scale of 0-10 aggregate what your thought are.  I know the blueprint is published just trying to get a personal opinion here.

Thanks - I'd left off confguring via the WCS.

Cisco Employee

Hi

1. Will there be a Cisco 360 study program for the Wireless track?  If so, is there a timeline as of yet?

Currently we are not looking at adding Wireless to the 360 program, but this might happen in the future.

2. What official Cisco classes do you recommend for the CCIE Wireless? (I'm assuming we mostly have to rely on the CCNA Wireless and the CCNP Wireless courses for the time being).

Honestly I have not gone through the training classes, so I do not know the full extend of what is covered. I would think  CCNP wireless + CNWA/CWNP should be a good theoretical foundation.  Then a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience on wireless deployments..

3. How relevant are the Cisco Design Guides for Wireless (location appliance, 4.1 for mobility, wcs, and voice for example) to the actual exam? So far, for deployments I've thought they were quite excellent.  Just wondering on a scale of 0-10 aggregate what your thought are.  I know the blueprint is published just trying to get a personal opinion here.

They are quite relevant. The 792x voice deployment guide is a "MUST" have. As mentioned, every exam question had to be put against blueprints, and backed by documentation. Sometimes we based on cisco.com documents, sometimes on deployment guides, etc. So my advice would be to check on them in general, and go in detail on Best practices document plus voice deployment guide.

Regards

Back again:

1. Are the lab exams graded in the next time zone like the other tracks? Are any portions graded locally?

2. Can you tell us how much of the exam is graded by script or is it all graded by hand?

3. Will Cisco offer an official CCIE Wireless Course to study (if not actually 360)?  Examples: RS and Security had courses endorsed by Cisco via Learning Partners before the 360.  Other tracks have not yet. Voice is finally getting a course in the 360.

4.  I'd still like to know if a candidate has to prepare an IP Scheme during the exam or if the IP Addressing is given to the candidate similar to the Voice Exam.

5. Removed - Detailed blueprint explicitly mentioned 2 IGPs - EIGRP and OSPF.

6. Are there any plans to help with the current availability and scheduling for the CCIE Wireless Lab exam?  Currently it is reported that there is a HUGE backlog of available dates - as far February 2011 is the last I've read about.  Is this backlog true?  And does Cisco have a plan to alleviate this apparent lack of dates to meet the current and future demands of the program?

7. Are troubleshooting problems deliberately inserted into the topology and worth points as they have been in the past for other CCIE Tracks - note this was publicly known.

8. Removed - Covered in the detailed blueprint.

9. Did you say how many client workstations were on the lab?

10. Not sure I understand the secrecy policy behind the number of devices.  For all other tracks this information is considered common and quite pedestrian.  Is there expected to be an advantage gained from knowing to expect x number of WLCs, x number of supplicants, and x numbers of switches... etc.?

11. If number 10 is a new pattern of what is considered to be NDA, are we to expect this to become a part of each of the other tracks as they evolve going forward?

12. How many sheets of paper does a person get to write on?

13. Any points for a diagram?

14. What is the terminal emulation program in the CCIE Wireless Lab?  Is is putty, securecrt or another?

15. Are notepad and calculator available during the exam?

16. How long are candidates to expect to wait to receive results?

References:  Ask the Expert with Ben NG (CCIE Voice Track) https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2002747

Maurilio Gorito on the CCIE R&S Version 4.0: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4567

Cisco Employee

Hi

1. Are the lab exams graded in the next time zone like the other tracks? Are any portions graded locally?

Exams are graded locally, but this is not relevant, and may change

2. Can you tell us how much of the exam is graded by script or is it all graded by hand?

Mostly by hand

3. Will Cisco offer an official CCIE Wireless Course to study (if not actually 360)?  Examples: RS and Security had courses endorsed by Cisco via Learning Partners before the 360.  Other tracks have not yet. Voice is finally getting a course in the 360.

Plans are under way, I do not have exact dates or projects on it (I know it is planned)

4.  I'd still like to know if a candidate has to prepare an IP Scheme during the exam or if the IP Addressing is given to the candidate similar to the Voice Exam.

No, Ip scheme is mostly provided to save time, but IP subnetting capabilities are needed

6. Are there any plans to help with the current availability and scheduling for the CCIE Wireless Lab exam?  Currently it is reported that there is a HUGE backlog of available dates - as far February 2011 is the last I've read about.  Is this backlog true?  And does Cisco have a plan to alleviate this apparent lack of dates to meet the current and future demands of the program?

No, I do not think the backlog is that large(I can check). Yes, there are plans underway to expand by 2 or 3 pods in new locations in short term

7. Are troubleshooting problems deliberately inserted into the topology and worth points as they have been in the past for other CCIE Tracks - note this was publicly known.

Absolutely. Troubleshooting is critical part of the exam, and failing to "fix" the problems will render questions invalid  as the result requested will not work. We included several scenarios seen frequently on support cases

9. Did you say how many client workstations were on the lab?

No.  It is a small number :-)

10. Not sure I understand the secrecy policy behind the number of devices.  For all other tracks this information is considered common and quite pedestrian.  Is there expected to be an advantage gained from knowing to expect x number of WLCs, x number of supplicants, and x numbers of switches... etc.?

Sorry, I did ask the project manager for wireless CCIE, and he was clear this fells into the NDA (number of devices and exact topology).

Honestly: it really does not matter. If you have to worry if you have 2 vs 3 switches, or 4 vs 5 WLCs, do not take the exam. The number of devices is designed to represent valid topologies in the field (meaningful issues), and it was kept "down"  as much as possible to avoid a too long exam.

Your study topology is a good one.

11. If number 10 is a new pattern of what is considered to be NDA, are we to expect this to become a part of each of the other tracks as they evolve going forward?

I can not talk for other tracks sorry. I have only been involved on writing the Wireless track.

12. How many sheets of paper does a person get to write on?

As many as you want. You can always ask the proctor for more, provided you give them back at the end.

13. Any points for a diagram?

No

14. What is the terminal emulation program in the CCIE Wireless Lab?  Is is putty, securecrt or another?

On the pods we prepared, SecureCRT, but this may change in other locations

15. Are notepad and calculator available during the exam?

yes

16. How long are candidates to expect to wait to receive results?

24/48h. There is a longer time for this exam, as it has manual grading for the moment, but please do not take this as a rule.

Thank you Javier for entertaining my endless questions, even the ones that seem basic.  I'm asking some

I already would assume the answer to for the benefit of the achives.  Most questions are asked for mostly every track.

I appreciate your patience.

Darby Weaver

darbyweaver@yahoo.com

I am now asking the question to remove the OEQ from all tracks.  Hopefully soon now.

Anyone else care to mention how OEQ's are perceived for the Wireless track?

I'm rattling the cages on forums, twitter, facebooks, blogs, and lists from coast to coast - it's a worn out topic and one most thought was gone but is not gone for all tracks - not quite yet.

I think the sentiment felt by the RS and Voice tracks will be the same throughout all of the tracks...

Pass on 3 questions and Fail on 2 questions is simply not fair to the examinee.

Maybe the OEQ should be asked before a person is allowed to book or pay for a lab seat and if the person cannot answer, then not let the person book again for 3-6 months...

That would be a decent discriminator.

Cisco Employee

Hi

I checked with Project manager for wireless, to get this view on this topic:

---

Looking at the Wireless OEQ’s statistics today, we see very few surprises in score results; the candidates that score well on the lab exam do well on the OEQ’s, almost without exception.  In that perspective, the OEQ’s are doing well. The perception however of OEQ’s is in general not always as positive. We are currently evaluating possible alternative solutions, such having more troubleshooting question in the exam itself

---

Regards

Hi Javier,

I have scheduled the CCIE Wireless LAB late Spetember in Brussels

Heard from a lot of people that it is not that piece of cake, some are doing their second/third attempt yet, pfff

How may people passed the LAB so far ?

Best Wishes

Peter-Paul

Cisco Employee

Hi

Last time I checked there were around 20-30 people who had passed, several non-cisco employees.

Yes, it is not an easy exam. People usually forget there are L2/L3 components to the exam, as well the aIOS side.

Good luck! and prepare well :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content