Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCIE VOICE

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Ben Ng the CCIE Voice exam. Ben is a customer support engineer with the CCIE program where he proctors and manages exam content for the CCIE Voice track. Prior to joining the CCIE program, Ben worked in Cisco’s Technical Assistance Center (TAC) where he provided technical and escalation support to Cisco customers on WAN, LAN switching, Multi-Service, and IP Communications technologies. He is certified in CCIE R&S and Voice.

Remember to use the rating system to let Ben know if you have received an adequate response.

Ben might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 16, 2006. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

74 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: CCIE VOICE

Hi Ben,

I have been focusing my studies towards the "new" exam format available this summer. Cisco announced the new software versions to be used on the exam, I was wondering if the hardware (routers and switches) will be changed as well to ISR routers and 3560/3750 switches, will 6500 use newer Sup than the current Sup2?

Another question I have is regarding Unity Express, will GUI access be allowed? Also is Unity-Unity Networking a possible scenario?

Chris

Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

No hardware will be changed after the July upgrade except for the addition of the NM-CUE module. We have been evaluating the possibility and feasibility of upgrading to ISRs and newer switche, but we don't have any solid timeframe to offer at this moment.

Yes, GUI access to CUE will be allowed. And regarding the question of Unity Networking scenario - yes, any Unity-CUE interaction is a fair game.

Thanks.

-ben

Ben -

As much as you can talk about, will the test be totally overhauled after 17 July, or will it be more of a phased approach? I have a date shortly after that and am trying to work a study plan for it.

Cary

Cisco Employee

Hi Cary,

The lab will not be completely dedicated to the new features brought about by the new versions; rather, I see it in an incremental or as you put it, a phased approach. Core content of the lab will continue to focus on the important concepts of IPC - lots of them not necessarily being new.

Hope it helps,

-ben

Ben,

Just a query to the previous post.You mentioned to get familar with cme 3.3 since ios ver 12.4 will be tested.But 12.4 is alos being used for cme 4.0 and there are lot of new features being introduced in it.

guide on which do we need to concerate.

- v

Cisco Employee

Hello v,

I believe 12.4 Main train is for CME version 3.3 only. I believe CME 4.0 is from 12.4(x)T train and beyond, therefore it will not be in the voice lab. Thanks.

-ben

hi,

I am schedule mu lab in mid oct.I have many quries.

i heard there is CUE plus lab will be tested on new version ios.my question i do need to work only on the ios ver which are being mentioned.for the lab will the ip phones be given to test or there might be some simulation for phones.for examples to test extension mobility how do we do.

will there be any upgrade need to be carried out during the lab exam.

Cisco Employee

Hello Vishwesh K,

On software, we will stay with the announced versions in terms of the IOS train or CCM. However, there is always a possibility that the software needs to be upgraded to the latest revision of the same train or service release to resolve any service impacting bugs.

The rule of thumb on this is that we will try our best not to change the software once it's been announced, but if we need to do so in case of severe bugs, we will upgrade to the latest release in the same train, where there are no new features but only bug fixes.

Let me give you some hypothetical example, even though we have announced that CCM version will be 4.1(3), candidate might not found the base line 4.1(3) in the lab, but the 4.1(3) with the latest SR. Similarly, for IOS, we have announced that 12.4(3a) will be used, but it's also possible for the candidates to see a newer version in the 12.4 main line. Again we will not make unannounced changes in the main train, but it is possible to move up the same train to get around any service impacting bugs.

So, my recommendation to candidates is to focus the features in the software train, such as CCME 3.3 in IOS 12.4, or all the new CallManager features in CCM 4.1(3), but use the latest revision within the main version to practice.

Yes, in the lab, you will be given physical IP phones. And you configure Extension Mobility between phones if needed to.

Generally candidates do not need to upgrade major component software (e.g.: CCM) in the lab, however, it is possible to see exercise where you are asked to change a load on a device such as IP phone or other end point terminal devices.

Thanks,

-ben

Ben,

How are you doing ? Been waiting for a ATE session for CCIE Voice lab for long time.

I have a few questions on lab gear, features etc.

a. Should we prepare for conferencing, transcoding etc on NM-HDV2 or we should expect both NM-HDV2 as well as NM-HDV?

b. Should we expect SIP features (ATA with SIP load, SIP trunks etc)

c. Will the routers used be ISR or 2600s (loaded with 12.4)?

TIA

Sankar

Cisco Employee

Hi Sankar, (a.k.a thisisshanky),

I am doing well thank you. It's great to be back doing another NetPro session.

You should expect NM-HDV for now. Sometime in the future NM-HDV2 might come into the picture in some new labs we are bringing up because of End of Life or End of Sale of certain parts, but we will for sure post an announcement to prepare our candidates in advance. And, even if this happens, you can be assured that the test questions will be based on the older hardware, just because most of our labs are still using the older ones.

SIP features, sorry for a proctor response but, anything you can do using the lab HW/SW is possible. :-)

Lastly, here will not be any ISR in the voice lab.

Hi Ben,

I have a doubt about basic terms on VOIP. It would like to know which would be the difference between Tie Trunk and Tie Line, therefore for me both mean the same thing.

Thanks for the attention

Phelipe Mariano

Cisco Employee

Hi Phelipe,

Is this a trick question? :)

I think connection tie-line is a temporary trunk - the connection is setup and tear down on a per call basis, with each inbound seizure received.

Connetion trunk, on the other hand, is a permanent trunk. It's nailed up and will alway be up as long as you have the commands there, regardless of whether you have a call or not.

Hope it helps.

-ben

Cisco Employee

Hello everyone,

It's great to have the opportunity to host another session on CCIE Voice. I am on a business trip this week (week of June 5th), but I will try my best to answer the posts on a timely manner. Thank you and I look forward to 2-weeks of open discussions with all the NetPro'ers.

-ben

What about accessing CME via the GUI interface? Is this an available option?

Cisco Employee

Yes, it is.

-ben

Ben,

I understand SIP is a fair game, so will connecting CCM and/or CCME to SIP Proxy server be a fair game as well?

Another question or rather concern is with the CCIE Voice lab 6 month waiting list to register. Is this being recognized and addressed by Cisco? There are days when there is no available dates to register for the lab besides Belgium, and if there is it's 6 months in advance.

Chris

Cisco Employee

hi Chris,

Yes, SIP proxy is a fair game as well. Although if it appeared in the lab, it would not be on the candidate rack, but, it could be something in the backbone.

The CCIE program is aware the long wait list for the CCIE Voice and we are doing all we could to make more seats available. We are in the process of increasing capacity in the U.S., which should add 3 additional candidates daily. We should have an update on the availability date around the end of July. In the mean time, we are doing all we could accomodate more candidates with our existing racks, including reopening lab maintanance dates and opening selected weekends, but even these dates are gone quickly just because the shear number of candidates looking to seats.

Hope it helps,

-ben

I have got a router 1750 with a switch 2950, I want to know how can I create a vlan if my router does not support the DOT1Q standard and my switch does not support ISL standar so how can I make the communication between my different networks?

BEN can you help with my issue?

Cisco Employee

Hi Raul,

To my knowledge, the 1750 does _not_ have support for either dot1q or ISL trunking encapsulation, while the 2950 only supports dot1q trunk.

So, with your existing hardware combination, I don't see any ways of setting up a trunk between the two devices. I see 2 potential workarounds in mind, however both involves additional or different hardware, although I tried to keep difference to minimal.

1. Add an additional ethernet interface in the 1750, after which you will have 2 ethernet interfaces on the 1750 connected to 2 ports which are in different vlans on your 2950. You can use a WIC-1ENET to do that on the 1750.

2. It's a long shot but I believe the 1751 do support dot1q trunk, by any chance you have that close by? :-P

My answers might not be much of a help, but at least I tried. :-)

-ben

Ben-

As it relates to 4.1 and the possibility that security would be tested, might we hope that some of the tasks be performed for us? Such as..

- The CTL client having been setup for us on CallManager(s)?

- Is S-SRST might we hope that the CA have already been populated already?

- Since auto-reg is disabled by default when the cluster is in mixed mode, might we see phones already registered?

Cisco Employee

Hi ksilva,

You message gave me a headache, because it reminded me something I didn't want to think about at this moment. :-) But, it's a good post. Thanks. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

- The CTL client having been setup for us on CallManager(s)?

[ben]: Not likely, prepare as if it has not.

- Is S-SRST might we hope that the CA have already been populated already?

[ben]: Yes.

- Since auto-reg is disabled by default when the cluster is in mixed mode, might we see phones already registered?

[ben]: It is possible to see registered phone in the lab.

My final remark on the topic of security, the focus of the Voice lab will continue to be on the core concepts of voice related technologies, security is an enhancement which is important to know, but it is unlikely to become a key component in the lab, just yet.

-ben

Ben- Thanks for your response and candor. Sorry for the headache :-). I have a few more questions if you don't mind....

-We know that CUE has been added, and it looks like that this is the first version that supports VPIM networking, might we expect to prepare for this thrilling(:-) topic?

- If VPIM is in play, might the connectors| adschema| be installed prior?

- Any suggestions on how to prepare for VPIM since this is a costly license for a lab purpose?

Thanks again,

Kalani

Ben,

If you can tell any good ccie-voice forum available.

I am try to get someone for preparation.

-v

Cisco Employee

Hi V,

I have seen some good posts on the Career Certifications section of Network Professionals Connection, so you're at the right place to start.

Perhaps other engineers monitoring this thread could suggest some other forums they found useful?

Help please.

-ben

Here is couple:

www.certificationtalk.com

www.voiceie.com

HTH,

Chris

Bronze

www.voiceie.com is a dedicted forum for cisco voice and has quite a bit of CCIE voice activity.

Ben,

Can you advise if CCM Release 5 is Linux only ?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Yes, CCM 5.0 is linux only.

Sorry for the delay in answering you post, I just returned from a business trip and trying to catch up with everything. :-)

-ben

Hi Ben:

Is Cisco VT Advantage (video telephony) expected in the upcoming lab changes in July?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content