Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Systematically Deploying QoS Online TechTalk

Mark Montanez, CCIE No. 8798, a Technical Marketing Engineer and his team will answer your questions as part of a continuation of the "Systematically Deploying QoS Online TechTalk" that occurred on September 28, 2002. This discussion will end October 9, 2002.

9 REPLIES

Re: Systematically Deploying QoS Online TechTalk

What is the most appropriate QoS method for prioritizing mission critical data in a Frame relay network which is implemented using subinterfaces? We use 1600, 2500 and 3600 routers. I understand I cannot use CBWFQ with subinterfaces?

Hi Rob,

I'm not aware of any limitiation when utilizing LLQ/CBWFQ or CBWFQ with-out the LLQ portion on frame-relay sub-interfaces.

Pull down a copy of the QoS Design Guide and take a look at the configuration examples there. The magic is to apply the service policy to the frame-relay class map.

The examples in the Design Guide are on Frame-Relay subinterfaces.

-MM

My company is in the midst of deploying Video Conferencing solutions to our remote locations. We have a Cisco 3640 at the host and 2600's at each remote site. We setup a dedicated T-1 at the host specifically for Video, but each remote site only has a 512K connection. Each remote site has a PVC setup for data and a PVC that points to the Video T-1. We are using Priority queueing and Policy-mapping to prioritize the traffic at each remote site to carve 480K of the 512K for video. We are prioritizing traffic based on UDP filtering. Is this a good way to utilize QOS or is there a better way?

Hello,

Typically for IP Video conferencing we suggest that Classification occur as close to the the edge of the network as possible. Either by the end device itself or by the first network device that is cable of appying the classification. We recommend using a DSCP value of AF41 for the video traffic and utilzing a LLQ/CBWFQ policy to give the traffic classified AF41 the treatment that it needs. Please pull down a copy of the QoS Design Guide - Under Related Links to the right side of this page - and take a look at the example configurations for IP Video Conferencing.

-MM

At Networkers, we learned that the ESE group had tested routers and switches with respect to AVVID and came up with some recommendations. Has this information been updated and is it available? We are trying to set up QoS across our 6500 and 4000 switches and our 3660 routers and want to choose reliable versions of codes.

Hi Jeff,

Did I see you at Networkers? Please have your SE pull the code recommendations document from the internal ESE web site and share it with you. We give general recommnedations for code levels in the QoS design guide however the most specific recommendations are contained in an internal document. Or... if you were at my Networkers presentation I gave you a link where you can find the latest version of that document at the time of the Networkers presentation.

Best bet... Have your SE pull the latest copy and share it with you...

-MM

P.S. There is a version of the document for the Catalyst Switches and one for the Routers you want both...

Yes, I was at your presentation (which was great, by the way). I pulled down those recommendations after Networkers. I just wondered if they had been updated or will be updated as newer versions of code get released. I will get with my SE. Thanks again.

I am wondering what methods or software Cisco uses to introduce simulated load and congestion onto networks in order to test QoS functionality. I wish to test configurations in a lab environment first prior to deployment. A tool that will generate, for example, excessive http, ftp, or other type of traffic would let me see that the Citrix traffic, for example, is still getting through.

Cisco Employee

Cisco has had great success using NetIQ's Chariot product for QoS functionality testing. It enables you to generate multiple TCP- and UDP-based traffic types and uses the IP stack of a real PC or Unix device to generate and respond. For instance, an FTP stream which has some packets dropped due to prioritization being given to mission-critical traffic will back-off, because it behaves as a real TCP-based stream. The Chariot Console, which monitors the streams sent and received, provides a lot of useful statistics such as throughput, lost data, transaction rate, response time and so forth. Contact NetIQ for more product information.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content