cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore from backup from FirePOWER 4140 to 4120

Sathevaner
Level 1
Level 1

It is to my understanding that there are only specification differences between the two models listed in the title.  If I wanted to restore a backup from a 4140 to a 4120 appliance, then will I run into any problems?  Is this possible in the first place?

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's your goal? To move to a new chassis?

There is a configuration export/import - is that what you're talking about? It has some guidelines and limitations but doesn't say the hardware model needs to be exactly the same. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fxos/fxos231/web-guide/b_GUI_FXOS_ConfigGuide_231/configuration_import_export.html#concept_042F458B5E1243F19CA97E67F6B21197

Still, I would ask cisco TAC directly or even have your SE lab it up in Customer POC lab or such.

Most of the interesting bits are in the logical device (FTD or ASA). Those are not backed up by the export and need to be handled in their respective manager (FMC for FTD or cli/ASDM/CSM/CDO etc. for ASA).

Hi Marvin - yes, that is the exact goal. My question pertained to the configuration export/import. I apologize for not being more precise with my initial post.

Hoping this doesn't steer too far from the original topic: what about FMC versions? Can there be any differing versions present, or should they be the same?

Restoring an FMC backup requires the exact same version on the target system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card