Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2100 FTD VS 7000 NGIPS

I need to have IPS box and I am between having either 2110 or 7120? Please advise what is the difference between both? should I go for 2110 FTD with IPS image or this is considered NGFW and not a dedicated IPS box,

Appreciate ur response ASAP

3 Replies 3

Although not EOS/EOL, the IPS 7000/7100 is one of the older appliances. The Firepower 2100 (or 4300 if you need more throughput) are the actual appliances and also can operate as dedicated IPS appliances. I would buy them as I would expect that they will be supported for a longer time.

What Karsten said. +5.

KevinRobertson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7120 will very shortly go End of Sale/End of Life. 

The 2100 series supports the majority of Sourcefire/Firepower features and also a subset of the ASA features have been ported over and more are on the roadmap.

Important to realise that the traffic flow through the device differs from 7000/8000 series, 2100/4100/9300 series and the ASA with FP Svcs, so make sure when researching you are researching the correct software, which is known as Firepower Threat Defence or FTD for short.

FTD offers a lot of extra features such as routing capability, VPN capability and much more.

Let me know if you require anything further.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card