cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying policies to 5506-X drops traffic for 30 seconds or so

Lucas Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

It seems like any time I edit an access policy in the FirePower Management Center and then deploy it to my numerous 5506-X appliances, it takes about a minute and 30 seconds to apply it on the devices.  During that time, traffic on the 5506-X is dropped for 30-45 seconds.  

It's nearly impossible to make policy/firewall changes during the day with it operating like this.  I can't drop real-time traffic to change policies.  Any thoughts on how to stop this or what I'm doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Traffic interruption usually happens when the Snort engine has to restart when a change is made. The conditions for this are well explained and documented in the configuration guide here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/623/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v623/policy_management.html#concept_33516C5D6B574B6888B1A05F956ABDF9

FYI: the Firepower 6.2.3 version improved the Snort restart process such that there are fewer conditions where the engine has to restart. In addition to this, The FMC also provides you information stating when traffic interruption is expected during a deploy. See pic below:

ftd-traffic-interrupt.PNG

If you do not have the 6.2.3 version, I would recommend you to move to it after reviewing the release notes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Traffic interruption usually happens when the Snort engine has to restart when a change is made. The conditions for this are well explained and documented in the configuration guide here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/623/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v623/policy_management.html#concept_33516C5D6B574B6888B1A05F956ABDF9

FYI: the Firepower 6.2.3 version improved the Snort restart process such that there are fewer conditions where the engine has to restart. In addition to this, The FMC also provides you information stating when traffic interruption is expected during a deploy. See pic below:

ftd-traffic-interrupt.PNG

If you do not have the 6.2.3 version, I would recommend you to move to it after reviewing the release notes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card