cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower user agent for Active Directory

david.campeau
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in process of learning and implementing the user agent solution for AD dealing with Firepower Identity management. 

Reading in the directions, the user agent can handle 5 Domain Controllers. My environment has no less than 8 DC's. Will I have to spin up 2 separate servers? Or can I install multiple agents on 1 OS instance?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no need to spin up any new servers. The agent is pretty lightweight.

Just run an instance on on DC #1 with the local plus 4 remote DCs being polled = 5 DCs.

Then a second instance on DC #6 with the local plus the other two remote DCs = 3 DCs.

So, you are just recommending installing directly on the DC's?

I was going through the documentation and read this .... "For security reasons, we recommend you install the user agent on a domain computer and not on the Active Directory server computer."

Considering we are in the security business, I was going to spin up a couple of VM's.  I'll look into what those risks might be and perhaps these risks can be acceptable. 

Thank you very much for your input as I will be looking at all the options. 

I've always installed them either on a DC (80% of the time or more) or other existing server. I have never asked a customer to spin a whole server just to run this one little program.

I'm not sure what the rationale for saying a program that queries the server event log for user logon/logoff events and stores them in a small database ads security risk when installed on the DC it queries.

To add to what Marvin mentioned, I have also installed it on the DC before with no issues per se. One thing that I would consider is the load on the DC that you are installing this on. If you install this on your most loaded DC and then talk to 5 more, that could have a detrimental effect depending on what load the DC takes in.

The second thing to consider is failover. Say the DC where there FUA is installed goes down for some reason. Users might fall back to another DC that is being managed by the same FUA. This would mean, you wont receive any logs from that FUA and subsequently the user login info is lost for the FMC.

For this reason, I try to install the FUA on every DC and only poll itself. This way, if one goes down, another DC and FUA takes over.

P.S: I did this for a 60 DC environment recently with no effect to any DC.

How would we or do we implement HA with the agents?  

Currently we do have HA for the FMC's, and if we decide to go the route of installing the agent on each DC, then I think we are covered.  However, in the event we have to stand up VM's with agents installed on them, what's the best path to take to implement HA with those agents? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card