cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

515 pix intermitent connection problem

jeremy__c
Level 1
Level 1

I have been running the configuration for years nothing has changed and I started getting this problem.

setup:

have 2 515 pix's one at office one at co-locate running VPN. PIX Version 6.1(3)

Problem:

sometimes cannot access net in any shape or form. VPN still working, can ping DNS server (use internal dns => 192.168.0.7). problem resolves itself anywhere from 10 minutes, to 3 hours. seems to happen weekly.

attempt1: reboot everything and same problem.

attempt2: change DNS to external DNS. does not fix. Ping external dns IP address from pix, reply's fine (did same with google's IP, was fine). tried pinging ext. dns and google's IP address from LAN and no reply. Tried pinging our external gateway (from LAN) and no reply. only reply to interal block from VPN, and our internal gateway given to use by DHCPD which is the pix.

attempt3: rebooted all switches/routers modem pix, changed cables (didn't think this would work as I still was connected to VPN) still nothing

I have no idea where to start? sounds like a NAT problem to me. all I do now is just wait for the pix to fix itself ???

Logs I don't understand.

attached is the config (edited for security reasons):

Config has been same for a long time and has worked for years.

Thanks, Jeremy

4 Replies 4

jwjorgensen
Level 4
Level 4

Just out of curiosity, what license does your pix have on it? Have you had a sudden increase in the number of users on your network?

Licence... just DES (if that's what you are referring too) no increase in numbers (10 man shop) network traffic is sub 100gb/month probably more like 40-50gb/month

I hope this helps, I'm getting quite fustrated with it.

bump.

Hi Jeremy,

I don't have idea about your problem but maybe you can set up a syslog server on your network and tells the pix to send all his log to this server. So, you can collect and store all logs from your PIX and maybe, find some clues the next time you meet your problem.

Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card