Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 Inside Interface To Another Switch

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am connecting the inside interface to an upstream switch and therefore will need to assign a static IP address to the inside address as I did below:

#sho int ip brief

Vlan1                      123.123.123.123  YES manual up                    up

I will also use this to manage the ASA. I am having a problem with the network configuration of the inside interface as I can't ping the gateway and/or the in IP of the inside interface.

Do I need to add any routes?

or

Am I forgetting some other steps?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have route to 123.123.123.123 from the management PC? Check if Vlan may be the issue(inter vlan communication in case of different vlan).

Also, ASA need to know how to get back to your management PC subnet (you need to add Static route or use IGP)

Thx

MS

View solution in original post

Yes that's correct, if the host is not in the same network as the ASA inside interface, then you would definitely need a route for the next hop through which that network is reachable.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have route to 123.123.123.123 from the management PC? Check if Vlan may be the issue(inter vlan communication in case of different vlan).

Also, ASA need to know how to get back to your management PC subnet (you need to add Static route or use IGP)

Thx

MS

I think it's an ASA route issue. I have the following:

d*   0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [1/0] via xx.xx.xx.xx.1, outside

So I would need an inside static route to point to the GW correct?

How do I do that?

Thanks

Yes that's correct, if the host is not in the same network as the ASA inside interface, then you would definitely need a route for the next hop through which that network is reachable.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card