Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

5515 expansion slot

Hello,

I have a customer who wants to use the expansion slot on his 5515. I can't seem to find anywhere about installing an expansion module for rj-45 connectors, can someone please point me in the right direction? Also, I am sure the ASA will need to be turned off during installation, These ASA's are set up in a HA pair so I should be able to do this with no downtime?

Thanks!

1 REPLY
Super Bronze

5515 expansion slot

Hi,

The ASAs usually have an online document called Hardware Installation Guide

Here is the section explaining the installation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/asa_procs.html#wp1094087

It does specify that the ASA has to be turned off during the installation.

I am not quite sure how the Failover will react to the situation if you decide to power off one unit and install the module to that and then boot it up since then it will be different hardware setup and Failover should not be supported. The ASA would probably disable the Failover at that point.

Then again I have seen the ASA previously disable the Failover (for other reason than this) and still maintain a Standby State. I guess for the purpose of not causing the network to have 2 ASAs acting both as Active. So I am not sure if the same would happen in this case.

Different Software levels on Failover pairs are supported atleast during the update though it generates warnings on the console. I am not sure what this different hardware setup might mean.

I have only installed the interface module to the ASA5500 Series. It was also for a Failover pair but it was then decided that the whole Failover pair will be powered off and the modules will be installed and again they will be booted back up. Naturally this meant outage but practically only a few minutes.

- Jouni

Views
Helpful
Replies