Cisco Support Community
Step-by-Step Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the NGFW, NGIPS and AMP Technologies A Visual Guide to the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)
Community Member

8.2(x) upgrade path problems

I am in the planning process to update a 5550 from 8.2.1 to 8.4.7. I've read the following:

I upgraded a 5520 using this information a few months ago but the upgrade failed. The device booted and I was able to log in via console but I could not reach the interfaces and passive would not pass through the device. I ended up restoring the previous software and config and have since upgraded to new 5500x series devices. I am concerned I will run into this issue again even after following the path recommendation, 8.2(x) to 8.4.6 to 8.4.7. I will be doing this remotely with someone on the remote end setting up console access via an oob network and rdp or webex so a failure to boot situation really is not an option. Any ideas on what happened and how I could avoid it this time around? The boot logs showed no indication as to why this happened.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

The "no cfg structure..."

The "no cfg structure..." issue generally hits you before you ever do the actual upgrade - it prevents successful transfer of the new image onto the target ASA's flash (disk0:).

I've upgraded dozens of firewalls and never had one fail to boot and/or become inaccessible. Where I've encountered issues has generally been around fine tuning some NAT rules or access-lists after the parser translates the pre-8.3 commands.

If you have Cisco Smartnet support you can always open a proactive TAC case to request assistance.

CreatePlease to create content