cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access List for ICMP traffic to server on DMZ

thomas.reiling
Level 1
Level 1

If I had a server on the DMZ with a static nat, could someone give me a rough example of what the access list line would look on the firewall AND outside router if I wanted to allow anyone from the Internet to ping it and have it reply.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Generaly from Internet to DMZ you need permit ICMP echo (ping) and from DMZ to Internet you need to permit ICMP echo-reply (ping respose)

On firewall

access-list out_dmz permit icmp any host Public_IP_of_server echo

access-list dmz_out permit icmp host private_IP_of_server any echo-reply

On router it should be similar in the direction public - private echo in the direction private - public echo-reply

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Generaly from Internet to DMZ you need permit ICMP echo (ping) and from DMZ to Internet you need to permit ICMP echo-reply (ping respose)

On firewall

access-list out_dmz permit icmp any host Public_IP_of_server echo

access-list dmz_out permit icmp host private_IP_of_server any echo-reply

On router it should be similar in the direction public - private echo in the direction private - public echo-reply

I'm not sure I understand the placement of the firewall access-lists since there is the outside interface and the dmz interface where the server resides. Can you explain that better? Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card