Views
Helpful
Replies

AIP-SSM20

thomasandy32
Level 1
Level 1

hello Friends,

I have two ASA with AIP-SSM20 i m little bit confuse as if now my 1 of the ASA is in standby that means my AIP-SSM20 on the standby is also idle??? because no traffic is forwarded to ASA when it is in standby mode.??? pls correct me if i m wrong,

when i telnet to IPS of standby ASA it is not accessible and also i can't see any logs from the IPS which is in standby mode of ASA in  IME, (IPS MANAGER EXPRESS) i can see only logs from IPS which is on active ASA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are absolutely correct. When the ASA is in standby mode, there won't be any traffic going through the ASA, hence nothing will be forwarded towards the AIP module as well because traffic to be inspected by the AIP module is routed through the ASA backplane.

The AIP module on the standby ASA needs to be setup manually as well (ie: configuration will not be synchronised from the active AIP module towards the standby). You would need to configure a unique ip address on the standby AIP module and the port on the module needs to be connected to the network and be accessible. Further to that, if there is no traffic passing through the ASA (when it's in standby mode), there won't be any logs generated by the AIP module because traffic doesn't pass through it.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are absolutely correct. When the ASA is in standby mode, there won't be any traffic going through the ASA, hence nothing will be forwarded towards the AIP module as well because traffic to be inspected by the AIP module is routed through the ASA backplane.

The AIP module on the standby ASA needs to be setup manually as well (ie: configuration will not be synchronised from the active AIP module towards the standby). You would need to configure a unique ip address on the standby AIP module and the port on the module needs to be connected to the network and be accessible. Further to that, if there is no traffic passing through the ASA (when it's in standby mode), there won't be any logs generated by the AIP module because traffic doesn't pass through it.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card